AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
In the short run I think developments in H264 may depend upon whether it is chosen as the (one of?) HD-DVD standard.

Every new standard is proclaimed as "twice as efficient" as all previous ones. Hopefully H264 really is. But I admit I'm looking forward to this one once there is some way for me to play it in real time.

- Tom

·
Registered
176 Posts
interesting that they only mention tests for SD video in the article. I would think they would want to be pushing this as a standard for compressing HD.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
someday sd will be compressed to the point of being dataless but still "watchable" ;) Yes I think it would be interesting to see what it can really do with hd..

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry
In the short run I think developments in H264 may depend upon whether it is chosen as the (one of?) HD-DVD standard.
Not if you are Didier LeGall (the CTO of the old C-Cube)

mentioned in the article. He was never a fan of MPEG-4,

calling it a "solution looking for an application". Along

with the fact that not many companies beside Microsoft

are interested in WM9, that leaves H.264 as the default

focus of attention.
Quote:

Every new standard is proclaimed as "twice as efficient" as all previous ones. Hopefully H264 really is. But I admit I'm looking forward to this one once there is some way for me to play it in real time.

- Tom
The NAB demo was 528h x 480v SD resolution at 1 Mbps

average 2 Mbps peak VBR, or roughly half of an SD

DirectTV or Dish channel with comparable PQ. So twice

as efficient is the real and honest PQ performance target.

Also, LSI Logic is a semiconductor company. Look for

dual capability MPEG-2/H.264 decoder and encoder chips

in the future.

Ron

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Ron,

Didier is still as arrogant today as he was when he was with C-Cube. I remember him going into tyrates about how much better the C-Cube codec was than others at the time. He posted regularly on a c-cube thread part of an investment forum that I was a member of. ( I lost a bundle on MPEG).

You start getting into politics with acceptance of new standards. Didier is no politician.

GT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.