AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,282 Posts
Heh. I don't even know which one I have anymore. Either one should probably do fine. I have the Core 2 Duo E6600 (I think that's 2.40Ghz).

If you buy a cheap CPU now buy a good mobo that allows you a good upgrade path. I went for a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 which supports Quad Core and FSB 1333 MHz.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFigueiredo /forum/post/0

Which CPU is better for h.264 playback with CoreAVC?

Pentium D 3.4Ghz 4MB cache

Core2Duo 1.86Ghz 2MB cache

They're about the same at stock, but the Pentium won't overclock much higher without fancy cooling. The C2D should do 3ghz quite easily, and if you get the e4300 3.3ghz should be likely.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would go with the C2D, it runs cooler and has more overclocking potential. I have just enough CPU with my C2D E6400 running stock speeds to smoothly decode "higher" quality 1080p x264/h264 (television captures) using CoreAVC. This really isn't leaving me with much headroom as it is but it hasn't been issues yet. I'm hoping CoreAVC will add hardware accelleration in the near future as I'm sure in the future I'll need the extra push and I would rather not overclock or upgrade the CPU.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster /forum/post/0

They're about the same at stock, but the Pentium won't overclock much higher without fancy cooling. The C2D should do 3ghz quite easily, and if you get the e4300 3.3ghz should be likely.

Sorry I'm confused. If they both are about the same at stock, than after o/c how can the C2D only be 3ghz as the Pentium is already at 3.4?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Clock speed is only one factor that determines CPU performance. The P4 was designed to win the GHz race rather than to be more effective per clock cycle.

Look for hardware review sites that measure CPU peformance using benchmarks similar to the type of applications you plan on running.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The other poster is saying that a C2D @ 1.83 ghz is about as fast as a 3.4 ghz Pentium D. The difference is the additional headroom for overclocking. The C2D overclocks almost effortlessly and to much higher speeds on air-cooling than does the Pentium D, which is basically 2 (very hot-running) Prescott cores on one die. Go with the C2D, you won't be sorry. And get a high quality motherboard with an upgrade path.

JN Porter

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnporter /forum/post/0

The other poster is saying that a C2D @ 1.83 ghz is about as fast as a 3.4 ghz Pentium D. The difference is the additional headroom for overclocking. ....

Yeah, that's what I was (clumsily) trying to say.

For comparison, I've got two PCs here - a Pentium D 3.5ghz, and a C2D at 3.3ghz. The latter is around 75% faster, yet costs only a touch more. The Pentium machine is also a total furnace, where the C2D is fairly easily cooled.

The only problem with C2D as a budget solution is until recently you've needed a really expensive motherboard and ram for overclocking. Now there are plenty of good overclocking boards at reasonable prices, and with the e4300 you only need 667mhz ddr2 ram to reach 3ghz speeds (and 667mhz = cheap as dirt). Even to do 3.3ghz can be done with standard cost ddr2 667mhz ram, as long as you choose carefully.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the opportunity to obtain a Core 2 Duo PC that I can use as my new HTPC.

It is an IBM M55 model whose specs are here:

http://caipsgws001.can.ibm.com/store...ct&sku=880894U

If anyone is familiar with this model, or using it as an htpc, could you please help me answer some questions:

1. Does it fit the bill for using CoreAVC for h.264 material? Mainly for high bitrate downloaded files, rather than HDDVDs, as I have an Xbox 360.

2. Anyone know what the type/model number is on the motherboard in this M55?

3. Does it have an optical sp/dif header that I could attach an optical adapter to and use? I have an Audigy2 ZS Platinum soundblaster card that has an optical out, but would rather not use it if this motherboard has an optical header.

4. Does the integrated graphics card in it do VMR9?

5. What is the maximum expandable CPU you can swap into this PC?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
No offense Joe, but if you've got to ask all these kinds of questions I'm not sure an HTPC is for you.

You've got to enjoy geeking out on this stuff to the point where YOU go out and find the answers to these questions.

I think you'd be happier with a stand alone device honestly.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/0

No offense Joe, but if you've got to ask all these kinds of questions I'm not sure an HTPC is for you.

You've got to enjoy geeking out on this stuff to the point where YOU go out and find the answers to these questions.

I think you'd be happier with a stand alone device honestly.

Puhlease...

I've owned an HTPC for 3 years that I built myself piece-by-piece, and I am an IT Manager on the desktop side.

I've simply been out of the loop for a while on what works for playing h.264 and also like to use others' opinions and experiences to "cover all the bases" as I formulate plans for my next htpc build.

If you know the answers to these questions I have because youv'e been geeking it out for the past 3 years, than go ahead and answer them. As for me, my questions are too specific to this model so it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack to answer them. Plus, I have no time anymore to do hours of researching (2 kids under 2 and a full time job).

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Having purchased hardware and software online for many years, is there any way to get CoreAVC to actually provide you a link/key for downloading their software? After sending payment, there is no confirmation email or anything to obtain the product paid for and they do not answer emails or phone calls.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Rick, go to the doom9.org MPEG4 AVC forums and look for the CoreAVC thread there - Betaboy is the voicepiece for Core and he may help you.

Many people have had problems getting CoreAVC from those guys. Email never gets to them, or their email never makes it to you. Very frustrating! A significant number of people sign up at doom9.org just to vent their anger at them.

(They don't answer the phone? Geez.)

The thread in question is here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=104277

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Thanks Max,

I will check out the doom9 thread. I was actually able to reach them briefly today and spoke with Dan who seemed like a nice guy but was too busy to fix my account. He provided me with link for software that didn't work.
I already filed a complaint with Paypal which is a waste of time but at least they CoreAVC will have to deal with it if they wish to keep my 15 dollars. Completely pathetic and unprofessional. Ironically, you can't even register for their own support forum because you will never get an activation email! I look forward to h.264 support from the more mainstream vendors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.