AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for the best H.264 decoder for a Mac. I've used CoreAVC on a Windows machine and it's amazing, but everyone knows the Coreplayer Pro for Mac is missing AC-3, which is terrible.

What's the next best thing out there? I need to play 720p H.264 at least, 1080p may be stretching it for non-hardware accelerated stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have been more specific - I want something that can handle high quality HD files with relatively low overhead, on a Mac. CoreAVC is not an option like it is on Windows machines, so what's the speedy counterpart for the Mac? Because VLC is quite possibly one of the slowest players available.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Plex? I have no problem with 720p and 1080i (I don't have any 1080p content) x.264 content on my 1.66 GHz Core Duo Mac Mini.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Plex for sure, it handles all my 1080p content except the dreaded bird scene in planet earth volume 1. I have a 1.83 C2D mac mini with 1ghz ram.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2 favorite programs

Frontrow - it's just gorgeous but won't pass ac3 audio but reads metadata

Plex - it's gorgeous too but won't read the metadata in my mp4 files but passes ac3

I can't win

·
Registered
175 Posts
Is there any decoder available for mac will handle h.264 PAFF correctly (i.e. dish network HD).

So far I've gathered that coreplayer pro doesn't support decoding the AC-3 audio and vlc/mplayer (which both use ffmpeg) still! does not correctly handle PAFF. I did try a hack that would let you use the coreavc decoder inside mplayer or vlc (reported to work on linux), but it won't compile on osx due to some of the code being in assembly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts