AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back on November 3rd, our Toshiba Cinema Series TP55H95 had developed a yellow spot in the upper left corner. I had purchased the T.V. in '99 and thankfully bought a 5 year warantee. A week later, a service tech. was able to come out, and he said that he needed to order a part, and told us that we would be contacted when the part arrived.

Weeks went by, and in December I placed a call to the 800 support number to find out that they had not yet received the part and they thought it would arrive on December 10. So on 12/11/03 I called them back wondering what was taking so long, and I was told that the reason the part had still not yet arrived was because the tech. who came out to my house had been fired (so all of the service requests he had pending were dropped). I was told that they would rush the part and it should arrive before Christmas!?!

On December 27th I returned from Vacation without a message from H.H. Gregg. When I placed another call to the 800 number, I was told that there was never a part ordered, and that they are now in contact with Toshiba to see if they can "make" the part that would "fix" my tv. The new magical date for the E.T.A. on this so called part has been pushed back to Jan. 20.

On January 24th after almost 10 weeks of getting nowhere with tech support, I did something I should have done a while ago; I went to the H.H. Gregg store in Columbus. Thankfully I was able to get some answers at the store, and I was told that the lady who works the service requests in Columbus, had recently been fired. So with this new person in charge we were able to work out an exchange for our under warantee broken T.V. :D FINALLY Waiting this long for them to fix our T.V. was absolutely ridiculous, at least I thought so...

The new 51HX83 Cinema Series will be arriving Thursday morning (not a bad deal, exchanging an old cinema series for a new HDTV)

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Glad everything worked out for the best, H H Gregg normally has pretty good service, well, I've never had a problem with them. I purchase the majority of my electronics from them because they seem to be the easiest to haggle the price to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I'm going through some issues now with H. H. Gregg.

Long and short of it, I bought a GUSDORF entertainment wall unit. Once I opened the box to assemble, I found about half the parts missing and or damaged. I talked to H. H. Gregg store manager and he said to contact GUSDORF for the missing parts and they would gladly ship me the missing damaged parts. I called GUSDORF and told them of my list of parts needed and they said since there were so many missing/damaged parts, to take it back to HH and get a new unit. HH manager said there was nothing they could do with the damaged unit and that it was up to GUSDORF.

Becoming frustrated with all the finger pointing, I called HH customer support. They told me the same thing as HH's store manager.

Finally, I wrote to the President of HH Gregg and sent him pictures of the damaged pieces of the wall unit and of my frustration. I also wrote that I was going to buy a 60" LCD and stand, but would resort to CC or BB to get it.

Just today, the Regional Store Manager for HH called me and appologized profusely and offered to sell me anything they had in stock at cost and that they would pick up the damaged wall unit and issue me a refund. We'll see what kind of price I get when I go there tonight.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't seem to budge, unless you threaten upper levels of management! Hope you get a good deal.

H.H. Gregg just called and they are 30 minutes away with my 51hx83... I can't wait!

Any Ideas on what DVD I should watch first?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Geno....good luck with your TV delivery. I'd pop in something like Shrek or Pirates of the Carribean.

Went back to HH last night. They indeed showed me prices that were about $500 lower than the lowest advertised prices I had seen....even from the WEB sellers....plus, they are refunding the entire amount I paid for the wall unit (which is all I really wanted).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
excellent, good to hear... At least H.H. Gregg does eventually care :)

I popped in Episode 2 and, for some reason.... it doesnt look like the quality is as good as my old toshiba, any reason why it would be grainy out of the box?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm the cable guy just left and my HD box makes my picture look like crap... I'm not sure what he did. Is there a reason why the picture quality would look even worse going from standard cable to Digital HD?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
GenoG....Toshibas are some of the best CRT RPTVs on the market. Matter of fact, Home Theater Magazine just rated the 65" model tops in a 10 TV shootout.

Out of the box, few TVs look very good. Even some of the same brands will look different from each other out of the box. If you haven't already, invest $25 for the Digital Video Essentials DVD or AVIA to calibrate your TV. It makes a world of differene.

BTW....going to HH tonight to pick up the 60" Sony LCD RPTV. I'm going from a CRT RPTV to an LCD and I'm hoping the picture improves significantly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.