AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a new receiver to replace my H/K AVR 65. I'm mainly ready to upgrade in order to do component switching and for DPLII (or logic 7). Assuming the audio dropout problem is resolved, I'm ready to jump in with H/K. I'm not sure that I need to pay the extra $ for the 630. Here's what I understand regarding the differences:

1. The 430 doesn't have bass management for audio inputs. Does that mean I can't use the receiver set a crossover point? I have to use the setting on the back of my sub?

2. The only analog audio I use is the old vcr which is mainly just for kids' videos. So it seems that this is not a big concern regardless. Any other reason to care?

3. The 430 doesn't have HDCD or SACD processing (I don't even know what that is) I'm using this for 90% HT and the %10 audio is casual.

4. They both have the quadruple x-over and EZ-set. I basically hold the remote in the listening position, it goes through a test pattern, and sets the x-over point for each speaker. Correct? Do I need to go through this with each mode (DD, DPLII, Stereo, etc)?

5. Suppose my STB always pumps out more bass than my DVD player. Will either of these let me set independent levels based on input?

6. The 430 is 65W x 7, 630 is 75W x7. It's not a large room. I'm using B&W inwalls and small energy's for surrounds.

Can any point to any reasons to go with the 630? I don't want buyer's remorse but no sense in wasting money.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
1. This is for multichannel audio i.e. DVD audio or SACD (super audio CD). It means all the analog channels on the 5.1 input would not be crossed over. It would be like all you speakers are set to large for that input on the 430.

2. No. However the 430 can do bass management on 2 channels stereo sources just not the multi channel.

3. HDCD is a copy protection format and SACD is a new type of CD for multichannel music similar to DVD-audio format.

4. It can be global or set for each input i.e. DVD, CD, Video 1, etc.

5. Both receivers will let you set independent levels per input.

6. Not for your purposes

Hope this helps

Bob

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bob for clarifying. That helps me save money!

E -

I know the audio dropout is still there, but some emails from h/k (in one of the threads) are leading owners to believe they are working on the issue. The audio delay on my current model is bothersome to me. The dropout would bug me for sure.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
turt

My 520,525,and 7200 all had about the same delay or drop out, if you will.

I'm used to it. If they fix it on the 630, great. I'm not holding my breath or my wallet.

Looking forward to setting up a new 630.

E

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.