AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade from my Denon 3200 (5.1) to a 7.1 Receiver. Currently, I have a set of 8 yr. old Polk RT-12 speakers for mains, CS-400 for Center and RT-5's for surrounds. I have had my eye on the H/K 7200 for a while now, and the price on it is well below $1,000 these days. My question is, am I wasting my money upgrading my receiver and keeping these speakers? These were older polks purchaced before you could buy them at Circuit City, etc, and I have alway felt their quality was good. However are they mismatched with the 7200?? I can't find any place local to let me demo the receiver, so "trying" it is out of the question. Anyone familiar with these vintage Polks? Any suggestions? Thanks. Drew

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barhoram
I'm looking to upgrade from my Denon 3200 (5.1) to a 7.1 Receiver. Currently, I have a set of 8 yr. old Polk RT-12 speakers for mains, CS-400 for Center and RT-5's for surrounds. I have had my eye on the H/K 7200 for a while now, and the price on it is well below $1,000 these days. My question is, am I wasting my money upgrading my receiver and keeping these speakers? These were older polks purchaced before you could buy them at Circuit City, etc, and I have alway felt their quality was good. However are they mismatched with the 7200?? I can't find any place local to let me demo the receiver, so "trying" it is out of the question. Anyone familiar with these vintage Polks? Any suggestions? Thanks. Drew

The 7200 has a great sounding amplifier, high power and very musical. My suggestion to you would be to take your Polk speakers into a dealer who has the 7200 and see how they sound.. Or find a dealer who will loan you a 7200 for a week or so.. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yea, interesting what M Code said.

And I almost agree.

But I think you'll be surprised if you go to a GOOD dealer and listen some speakers with CD's that you are familiar with.

Some (most, in fact) of the newer speaker lines will have a much more open cleaner sound than the Polk’s. And you'll find that the sound will be more UPFRONT and less rear sounding.

If you compare this to your Polk’s immediately before or after the new speakers I don’t think it will be hard to part with them.

I’ll be looking to see what you do.

I have the 7200 (after having a Harman Kardon AVR85) and I run with Audio Research (AR’s) all around. Sound Great.

Listening…

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. How about this....Use the RT12's and CS-400 for Surround L,R & C? Upgrade Mains, Center and Sub?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just to share another thought. I am in the process of upgrading my entire system. The first new addition was the avr7200. They are currently pushing vintage 40 year old speakers. They have given NEW life to them. Crisp, clean and clear.

The difference is so much that my better half wants to know why I am even thinking of changing the speakers! But she is allowing it.

Yes, I may have bought more in the 7200 than I will need, but it does make a difference in my set up.

The suggestions that have been offered above are valid (M CODE is on target) and should be considered as you may not be able to do a "Blind Test" at home. Your ears are the ones that matter.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Additional note: Bring your own cds that you are VERY familiar with to cross reference your hearing at the store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.