AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I am, the H/K is only about $200 more expensive. The features on these units seem pretty comparable. Does anyone have experience with both units to determine whether the H/K is worth the extra $$$s?

Sarkis

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will use it predominently for HT, but also for some music. By the way, I will be using it with Onix Ref 1s and an Onix power amp for the front channels.

I did notice that the H/K has only four digital inputs--might that become inadequate at some point? For now, I have only cable and DVD.

Thanks for the response.

Sarkis

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SJEB
I did notice that the H/K has only four digital inputs--might that become inadequate at some point? For now, I have only cable and DVD.

Thanks for the response.

Sarkis
Slight correction.. ;)

The AVR 7200 has 6 digital inputs, 3 Coax and 3 Optical. 2 & 2 in the rear, 1 & 1 in the front. Also 3 digital outputs, 2 in the rear (Coax & Opt) and 1 Coax in the front. So it has 6 In and 3 Out... :cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
You must try out Logic 7 (L7) on the AVR7200.....it is much better than DPL2, it's like the improvement from DD to DTS.

I feel sorry for those folks shopping for an AVR, who don't get the opportunity to hear what L7 can do in place of DPL2.

You may not think that sound processing at the DPL level is important, but considering most HT buffs probably only use DD/DTS (or even THX) for less than 10-20% of the time unless you're glued to watching DVD's all day,

Most users would use their HT for a majority of TV/Sat/cable viewing where the signal will be processed by DPL,.....so now you can see where my suggestion is leading...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm getting the feeling that the consensus is that the HK is not worth the extra $$$s, especially since I will have a separate amp for the front mains. On the other hand, I love the look and feel of the HK, so I can be convinced.

As I said earlier, their features seem similar (except the HK has Logic 7 and the Denon has DTS 96/24--what is that?). I don't expect to use the receiver for video switching, so that advantage of the Denon does not matter for me.

I keep hearing about how good the 3803's processor is--what does this exactly mean and is it better than the HK's?

Thanks.

Sarkis

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dugby

I feel sorry for those folks shopping for an AVR, who don't get the opportunity to hear what L7 can do in place of DPL2.

I find that DPL2 and L7 on the H/K processors sound very similar. :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
The HK also has BM for the multi Ch inputs.IMO L7 is a plus.And triple Xover allows you to set different xovers for frt/c/surround.One more thing to think about if you are adding an ext amp go with the HK 525,.I think its the same as the 7200 just without as much power..I have seen it $699 from one call.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Has anyone compared the sound quality difference between the 7200 and the 8000? I am very interested in both these units as an upgrade from my AVR520. The 7 powered channels is not a selling point with me on the 7200 as I have a the H/K PA4000 already. So basically, it's all about the sound quality with me. :)

My speaker are Klipsch R7s.

Thanks

m00n

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The 7200 has had a number of cost-cutting measures applied to it, as compared to the 8000.

Some include:

- Uses only 1 DSP

- Output devices per amplified channel reduced from 3 to 2.

- Amplifier inputs removed.

- Less expensive I/O jacks used throughout unit.

- 2 additional amplified channels added with no increase in weight. Thus heat-sinking and capacitance per channel must be less as compared to the 8000. Consider that if the same total capacitance was kept (and it well could have been decreased), then the available capacitance per channel would be lowered by almost 30%.

I'm sure an HK engineer could point out several more.

This is to be expected given that HK lowered the list price by $1000, despite adding the two additional output channels. You can't do this without cutting back in many other places.

To HK's credit, they do seem to have done a very good job of retaining much of the goodness of the 8000 despite trimming over 35% off of the price. The end result is a receiver that is very competitive for best-in-class in its price range.

Tom B.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.