AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I have an H&K that ha been in my theater for about two years with no problems what so ever.

I turned it on yeasterday and there was no sound!

The receiver turns on and the lights are blue so I know that it is not in standby, along with all the front panel readings! I mean i can switch inputs, raise volume and all of the other stuff, but there is no sound!

I would think that someone here has had this problem and knows what to check on the inside of the unit, i mean is there a fuse or anything like that?

Let me thank you all for any help in advance

UPDATE: I just opened up the covers and checked all the connections and noticed that the fan inside won't turn on either....It looks as if the amplifier section does not power up...does anyone know where the fuses are on the boad,since it is pretty crampted in there and i cant find them as of yet!

Thank you

Martin

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
Try doing factory reset, it might work.

Reset the receiver's processor by pressing and holding the Surround Mode and Tune Mode switches on the front panel, and releasing them when the unit turns on and the word "Reset" appears in the front-panel display

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
afrogt...I have tried it and it is still the same, I actually found out about the factory reset from the users manual....

I was hoping it is something that I have not thought of...something simple

anyhow

Thanks

Martin

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Hello, I had an HK 325 that like yours would sometimes turn on but not put out. Actually all the inputs would get amplified but only the tuner produced no sound. I noticed that the normal click of some relay was missing. When you switch from an analog input to a coax or optical input there is a distinctive click of some relay. ( doesn't happen switching from coax to coax or optical to optical or analog to analog) If I switched from DVD to FM and there was no click then I knew not to expect sound.

Solution) beat(slap with palm) the right rear top section of the HK sometimes several times and 50% of the time the radio would work.

good luck

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't tried the front headphone jack, i sorta assumed is there is no sound to the speakers then there would be none at the jack...but will try it...

As far as slapping on the relays, none of the inputs give out any sound!

I was hoping someone knew which "fuse/resistor" I can check... and possibly replace!

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Martin,

I have the same exact problem. I checked fuses and voltages at points on several boards and all is fine??? If you find a solution please fill me in. Oh BTW I dont have any headphone output either.

Steve

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
A receiver or amp with a short (blown amplifier transistor) in the amplifier section will go into protect mode if it has one. Otherwise it will blow a fuse.

A trick to get the thing to turn on for testing/diagnosing (not you but a repair shop) is to use a 100w incandescent light bulb as a current limiter. This prevents the short from drawing enough current to activate the protection circuit (or blow a fuse). Shorts are almost always one or more of the power amplifier transistors.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try and do the bulb as a limiter trick...

I am not totally incapable when it comes to troubleshooting circuits,granted not an electronics engineer but will try and see if i can find the resistor/fuse!

Thank you bob

Martin

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Your welcome,

The limiter is made with a ceramic closet light socket, old cutoff appliance power cord (lamp cord with built in switch) and some kind of enclosed wall outlet (old power strip). Wire the light socket in series to the outlet. Screw it all to a piece of plywood so you don't have loose parts or exposed wires. Mine is attached to the wall above my workbench so the 100w bulb is out of the way.

The headphones should work now.

I have schematics for the 125, 325, 525 but nothing newer.

Edit: Fan only comes on when receiver gets hot.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry H&K

Mine has been sitting here with no progress yet...

...A friend of mine is going to be looking at it and if he does find the problem I will post it here!

Anyhow, good luck meanwhile

Martin

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ripped my 235 apart last night and found 4 fuses. They all seem to be good. No breaks or major charring. If the amplifier section is not producing, but has power, what else is common to all the speaker outputs?

Also, when looking at the circuit board for the outputs, it says "for AVR230/330 ONLY" Is there a problem with that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
tryed what you posted still no sound output. called hk, they couldn't get me anywhere other than "reset" the amp. so, please post any updates here, thank you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was in the middle of playing a new video game this evening and suddenly. *click* no video and no sound out of my HK 230. At first I thought it was the Wii, but after checking some other inputs, it looks like the analog side of the receiver has decided to stop working. No output: video or audio. Guess I'll pull it out and check fuses, but from what I'm reading here it doesn't sound like I'm going to find anything.

I do NOT want to buy a new receiver for Christmas.

- Jasen.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, I yanked it out and opened it up. I can see the fuses in the back corner, but can't see them very well. Nothing obviously blown. I don't know how to pull those PCBs out other than removing the transformer and I don't feel confident enough to do that.

I guess it goes into the shop.
Can any of you with experience with this sort of fail mode give me a feel for how much $$$ I should expect to pay? Would it be better to just buy a new receiver?

- Jasen.

·
Registered
168 Posts
$130. I picked it up from the repair shop this afternoon. It was the power regulator board. Two resistors died/shorted, and a capacitor on the amp board got fried - let all the smoke out, nice black hole in the top of it.
Hopefully, that'll fix it for a few more years.

Tonight while listening to it, there was a strong electronics burning smell for a little while.
I'm hoping it was just the unit warming up and some flux melting off.

- Jasen.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts