AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Harman/Kardon AVR 8000 receiver that is about 10 months old. It has worked great until today. Today when I went to turn it on there was no sound. I had to turn off the main power button and then turn it back on. Seemed to be working OK and I listened to a CD. It shut off about 45 min later. Now when it turns on it shuts itself off in about 3 seconds. I think I also get a bad smell now. I tried a reset, unplugged it and still acts the same way.

Anyone have this happen to a H/K product. I think it is a one year warranty. Any one get their H/K product repaired?

I would love of other experiences with H/K service.

thanks

·
Registered
720 Posts
Have you made sure the speakers aren't shorting out? Make sure in no way are any of the speaker wires touching each other. That may be causing the problem. If that's not it, I don't know what to tell you. There could be a short on a circuit board inside as well, but I would think that would blow a fuse.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've posted some of this before, so if you've read this already please disregard.

I had a problem with an AVR-8000 also, but mine was defective when I got it. I called OneCall (the place I bought it from) and they told me to take it to a repair shop. After 8 weeks, the repair shop said they couldn't fix it but HK would send me another. HK was out of 8000s, so they offered me a refurbished 7200 instead. I refused, then they offered me a refurbished CD or single disk DVD player along with the refurb 7200. I ended up with a new 7200, but that took negotiating. They must have had a bunch of refurb stuff at the time. After HK agreed to send me a new 7200, they sent a defective one. So a few weeks later, and three months after buying a receiver, I finally got one that worked.

Needless to say I wasn't too pleased with how they handled everything. Honestly, I can't say whether this is typical HK service since its my only experience with them. I'm happy with my 7200, but I will probably go with another company the next time I buy another piece of audio equipment.

While this was going on, I spoke to an HK tech and he said the only place he would consider sending an AVR that advanced was Hi-Tech Masters out of California. He said most local shops can't handle something like the 8000. I thought that was interesting, since these shops must be authorized by HK for warranty work, and HK knew mine was in the shop for quite awhile.

Maybe I had bad luck with a local shop, but if I were you I'd try to get HK to replace or repair it directly. It should at least save time. I hope you have a MUCH better experience with HK customer service, and please post your experience.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

Mine is also from OneCall but mine has worked fine right out of the box up to now. Guess I will start making some calls on Monday. I sure hope it is not 8 weeks or more in a repair shop. We do have a great repair shop in the area that specializes in this equpment. It is repair only, no sales at all. I hope they can fix it or maybe just sending it back to H/K. I am kind of dissapointed that I am haveing problems this soon. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i had a VERY similar problem with my HK AVR7200 (turned off every few seconds, no sound). turned out that the banana plugs for the center channel were both touching a bolt in the back of the A/V rack. as stated above, check for shorts. good luck.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just called tech support at H/K. He stated to check the rear connections as well. Will do that tonight when I get home. He also stated that the only place to take that unit for repair is High Tech Masters in California. Just thought I would post this for others in need of service. H/K's web site shows the local places to take this unit but this is a basic list. The tech guy stated that the AVR 8000 is very complicated and High Tech is the only place that has the equipment to repair this one.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
From my experience with H/K customer support it is better than most. The trick is to get the name and number of a tech supervisor and speak with them personally.

Dsmith

·
Registered
576 Posts
My experience with ALMOST ANY customer service department is that the company wants you to be happy and will go out of their way to accommodate you. They may ask you to try some things before they are willing to simply replace what you have owned for several months, but they eventually do that and frequently upgrade the product...the customer service representative is an entirely different matter and it can be hit and miss. Finding someone who wants to do what the company wants can be complicated.

In other words, follow the advice of dsmith901...

And don't get nasty. If you get frustrated, tell them how frustrated you are, but BE COURTEOUS. It is possible to express dissatisfaction and even outrage without attacking a person. You can be honest AND polite.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely agree with that. I have dealt with many customer service people over the years. Getting angry never helps. Most of the time if you just explain your views they will do something for you. Many times I will even ask them "what can you do for me?" If they can't do anything then go up a level.

I believe they do want to keep you happy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can say that in my experience with HK, they absolutely did not go out of their way to help me. As a matter of fact, I feel I had to work just to get what I got. Almost all of my contact was via email, so I have a long thread and I can say with confidence that I was courteous the whole time. Maybe my mistake was not getting the name of a supervisor, and perhaps trying to do everything via email. I like the documentation the email gives though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.