AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of you are looking for a very good SD DVD player with multimedia capability you may want to check out this terrific bargain, especially if you have a large CD library and are tired of switching discs (like me).

Harman Kardon is apparently clearing out their remaining stock of the DMC-1000 digital media center at an unbelievable price of $399 (msrp was $2,999). It includes an upconverting DVD/CD player (1080p via HDMI), a 250 GB HDD expandable via USB, and four zone capability. These are brand new, not refurbs. Go to harmanaudio.com if interested and click on Current Models/Digital Media Centers. Their on-line purchasing was acting up yesterday so you might have to call customer service to order by phone.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/16946967

If any of you are looking for a very good SD DVD player with multimedia capability you may want to check out this terrific bargain, especially if you have a large CD library and are tired of switching discs (like me).

Harman Kardon is apparently clearing out their remaining stock of the DMC-1000 digital media center at an unbelievable price of $399 (msrp was $2,999). It includes an upconverting DVD/CD player (1080p via HDMI), a 250 GB HDD expandable via USB, and four zone capability. These are brand new, not refurbs. Go to harmanaudio.com if interested and click on Current Models/Digital Media Centers. Their on-line purchasing was acting up yesterday so you might have to call customer service to order by phone.

Well OK, I went to http://www.harmanaudio.com/ and then clicked on the above unit at http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...ber=DMC%201000

So trusting you I went ahead and bought one.

Hope this works out OK.

Cheers

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/16949607

Well OK, I went to http://www.harmanaudio.com/ and then clicked on the above unit at http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...ber=DMC%201000

Hope this works out OK.

Cheers

If not, you have 30 days from the date of purchase to return it for a full refund, less shipping costs. A risk well worth taking, IMO. Mine is due next week - if it turns out to be a waste of time I will let everyone know. But having used H/K products in the past (and currently using a FL4550 CD change and an outstanding DVD-48 player) I expect this to be just what I have wanted but could not afford until now.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/16949607

Hope this works out OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/16959515

If not, you have 30 days from the date of purchase to return it for a full refund, less shipping costs. A risk well worth taking, IMO. Mine is due next week - if it turns out to be a waste of time I will let everyone know. But having used H/K products in the past (and currently using a FL4550 CD change and an outstanding DVD-48 player) I expect this to be just what I have wanted but could not afford until now.

Thank you for the info.

Mine looks like it'll show up next Monday or Tuesday.

Like you, I'll post here what I think about it.

FWIW, I didn't do that much homework on it so it's an upcoming black box experience.

Given that I'll soon have 2 Zektor switchers, I should be able to fit it in, but I wonder if my equipment stacks are tall enough.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/16960716

Mine looks like it'll show up next Monday or Tuesday.

Like you, I'll post here what I think about it.

FWIW, I didn't do that much homework on it so it's an upcoming black box experience.

Mine showed up a bit ago.

Heavy but manual states only 19 lbs net.

Manual also shows two sets of 5.1 RCA outs, a good sign.

Front page of manual also states: "Digital Media Center"

which is interesting (as to just what that means).

So far so good, given that I have high interest in decent source ("players" of any kind (digital or vinyl), in general).

FWIW I'm going to take my time before I make any further comments, as this is not a race.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/16976946

Is this an HTPC, or something different? The specs are a bit vague.

I'm trying to figure out what this will do, that my CDR-HD1500 and Pioneer DVD player, which accepts USB hard drives.

I have to say that it's got a very good manual, including an excellent glossary.

I'll bite what is HTPC? Home Theater PC?

If you don't care to explain, maybe dsmith901 will buy into explaining unexplained acronyms.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/16977036

I'll bite what is HTPC? Home Theater PC?

Correct.

I was wondering if it just plays what you load, or if it is able to stream audio from the net, or video from Netflix for instance.

Edit: Read the manual, looks like it will not copy DVD's to the hard drive, and can't play AVI's? Looks like it's just a music server with built in DVD player. Still a good deal if you need a music server.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/16978473

Wondering if it just plays what you load, or if it is able to stream audio from the net, or video from Netflix for instance.

Don't know yet. Just got it (and unboxed it) a couple of hours ago. Shipping was very reasonable at under $10, so total was under $410 (from 300 to 500 miles away).

What can I say so far?

It is a relatively heavy disc player; title of it is "Digital Media Center"

The top is covered with holes suggesting that it runs warm.

It has two 5.1 RCA outs, and a fairly large rear fan, an HDMI out connector, coax and optical digital outs (1 each), component outs (red/green/blue), bridge connection (whatever that is) and network jack and RX-232 plus a few other things.

HDMI connector (1.1) is 1080p capable.

Plays *and* *records* optical discs.

Component to either 720p or 1080p (so long as not copy protected).

Various still image features.

USB port (ver 2) takes hard disk or flash drive up to 160GB.

Power: 12 watts (standby), 60 watts max.

(odd given all the holes in the top cover)

Plays CD and DVD and various self recorded versions (not sure about SACD recordings at this point, but I'd be surprised).

Not sure if it does or doesn't have an internal hard drive.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:

I was wondering if it just plays what you load, or if it is able to stream audio from the net, or video from Netflix for instance.

The unit has a lot of various capability. I simply don't know the answer to the above, but maybe dsmith901 will comment.

What I can say so far is that yesterday I played the unit about 6 hours straight.

The fan stays on all the time and is quiet! And the top of the unit stayed cool.

Quote:

Edit: Read the manual, looks like it will not copy DVD's to the hard drive, and can't play AVI's? Looks like it's just a music server with built in DVD player. Still a good deal if you need a music server.

"just a music server" ???

Well that's quite an understatement.

I already know that I'm keeping this unit.

For one thing the DVD video playback is decent (the one minor flaw is that it doesn't do blacks and dark shades as well as my Denon 5910ci player). Also it remembers movies that have been played (I don't know for how long just yet), and if you put them in (after playing several other discs) it picks up at the last point you were at (skipping all the time wasteful warnings, titles, etc.).

The thing that is great is the sound, both for movies (DD5.1 and DTS5.1) and CD. All of this done by me using only the analog 5.1 RCA outs.

e.g. for movies try The Thomas Crown Affair (w/Brosnan, DD5.1) or Moulin Rouge (w/Kidman, DTS5.1).

The CD discs automatically get copied to the hard drive (250GB), so the playback does not come directly from the CD but instead from the hard drive. The sound is very very very good. Takes about 8 or 9 minutes to copy a 65 minute CD to the hard drive and it does this while playing the initial tracks.

IMO quite a deal for the money.

The unit does, however, seem to need the TV on in order to setup a queue of sound titles from the hard drive. Once one has lined up a queue of music to be played (say 10 hours worth), the TV can be turned off. Maybe it can be done just by remote (the unit has a very large front display), but I'm still learning how to use it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhammer /forum/post/16988368

OK, I am starting from the scratch.

Seems suspect given your previous long post/list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhammer /forum/post/16988368

So if I buy this system, do I need to buy anything other than speakers?

What???

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:

Well that's quite an understatement

I didn't say that. I also mentioned the built in DVD player. And as far as I can tell, that's all it is. I've done more reading, and you can't load DVD's, or stream anything.

It does look like a good deal, but I already have all of it's capabilities covered, that's all. I was hoping it was a true media center, that I could load all my movies on in full DVD quality.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/16986357

Well that's quite an understatement.

I already know that I'm keeping this unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/16990154

I didn't say that. I also mentioned the built in DVD player. And as far as I can tell, that's all it is. I've done more reading, and you can't load DVD's, or stream anything.

It does look like a good deal, but I already have all of it's capabilities covered, that's all. I was hoping it was a true media center, that I could load all my movies on in full DVD quality.

"I didn't say that" ???

"It does look like a good deal, but I already have all of it's capabilities covered, that's all."

You have all of that covered for only $400 ???

"I was hoping it was a true media center, that I could load all my movies on in full DVD quality."

Kindly state a "true media center" at $400 or less that will permit you to load 250GB of your DVD movies.

All ears.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
No, I didn't say "just a music server" as you claim. I said it's a music server with built in DVD player. Are you just trying to be argumentative?

Quote:
You have all of that covered for only $400 ???

No, about $600, plus I can play SACD's and DVD-A's. No need to spend another $400 if I already have it covered though, is there?

Quote:
Kindly state a "true media center" at $400 or less that will permit you to load 250GB of your DVD movies.

Haven't seen one, that's why I was interested. But it can't load 250GB of DVD's, or even 10GB. It would be easy to build an HTPC for $400 though, that would have all those capabilities and more, plus a much larger hard drive. Try not to get so defensive, like I said, it looks like a good deal.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/16990415

Are you just trying to be argumentative?

Nope. Not trying to be argumentative!

Simply informative! Meaning I'm glad I got one.

The standout thing about this unit ( H/K DMC-1000) is it's excellent sound, both with DVD movies and especially with CD (automatically recorded) to/from it's 250 GB hard drive.

It also has a lot of other I/O capability, but I've yet to explore that.

So far it's been an ear opener.

Cheers

·
Registered
332 Posts
Seems like a good device. Can anyone answer the following:

1. Can you burn your own CDs from the audio tracks recorded on the HDD?

2. To go thru the huge catalog of CDs on the HDD, do you need to hook it up to a TV? The reason I ask is becoz I plan to use it only as stand alone CD player for music and audiobooks in my office. There will be NO TV hooked up to this.

3. May be dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. It doesn't have a amp built-in, does it? So it would need to be hooked up to an AVR. Right?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teligent /forum/post/16991482

Seems like a good device. Can anyone answer the following:

I'll tell you what I think I know at this point, given that I've only used the unit 2 days (1st day mainly DVD movies, 2nd day exclusively music via CD to the hard drive).

The proviso is that my answer(s) may not be 100% accurate.

Quote:

1. Can you burn your own CDs from the audio tracks recorded on the HDD?

I don't think so. The "recording" is from external music source to the internal hard drive; several types of external format likely work, the obvious main one being CD audio discs; but possibly including other types from external USB hard drive and/or USB flash drive?

Quote:

2. To go thru the huge catalog of CDs on the HDD, do you need to hook it up to a TV? The reason I ask is becoz I plan to use it only as stand alone CD player for music and audiobooks in my office. There will be NO TV hooked up to this.

IMO, you'll need a TV hooked up to this thing in order to learn how to use it to start with. It has a very large (and informative) front display and maybe once you know how to use the unit it can be used without a TV, but I wouldn't be counting on that.

Quote:

3. May be dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. It doesn't have a amp built-in, does it? So it would need to be hooked up to an AVR. Right?

I'm pretty sure that it needs an AVR.

At this point I have one additional comment about the sound from the hard drive: while it is very very very good, it almost seems to have been mellowed a bit, which is a very livable thing.

As an example, I have the short/expensive (3 tracks, total of 12 minutes) CD "I Can See Clearly Now" sung by Holly Cole. I queued it up 5x (for an hour of play) and after the "wow" effect has worn off I'm left thinking/wondering that maybe Harmon Kardon has managed to get the overall playback sound a bit of "tube" influence?

FWIW I have this $3k (list) player/server and a $3.8k (list) Denon 5910ci univeral player both hooked up via 5.1 RCA outs into a Zektor MAS switcher, but so far I've not tried going back and forth with CD music, only with DVD movies where the one difference (video blacks) is mildly in favor of the 5910ci.

And yes, it won't surprise me if this "answer" raises even more questions in your mind. If so, sorry about that. This is what I have a sense of so far with this unit.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the clearance price on this unit.

I ordered it yesterday.There are very few reviews of this

media player probably due to the outrageous MSRP of $3000

I look forward to trying it out. I'll post my thoughts after a few days.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers /forum/post/16993670

Thanks for the heads up on the clearance price on this unit.

Credit for that goes to the OP of this thread: dsmith901.

Quote:

I ordered it yesterday.

Sensible move.

I have a fair amount of trust in dsmith901's judgments on high end equipment, and did zero homework on it.

It's a very good CD player (as well as DVD movies, and other I/O capability).

I can see paying $399 new (closeout) for this; as opposed to a similar amount for the new Emotiva ERC-1 which only plays CD discs, with no hard disk capability.

Quote:

There are very few reviews of this media player probably due to the outrageous MSRP of $3000

It is also not shown on the extensive Audiogon bluebook list for Harmon Kardon, which generally has almost everything listed.

When you see/hear this thing in action, that $3000 list price won't seem all that far fetched. At $399 closeout (new with a guarantee) it is quite a deal.

Quote:

I look forward to trying it out. I'll post my thoughts after a few days.

I'll be interested in your comments. Use some of my post #18 comments as a reference point.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.