AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Im an avid reader of these forums for years and love the insight and expertise most of you carry. You have helped me extremely well in the past and hope you can do the same now.

I own a H/K Avr 525 reciever and it has powered a set of cerwin vega speakers. Even though the receiver is rated at 80wpc at 8ohms,,my speakers are rated at 250watts at 4ohms,,it has been powering quite well for some time now and was just wondering does this affect the reciever by powering lower ohm speakers,,4 ohms,,from my receiver which is rated 8 ohms?

I have recently purchased a crown xls 420 amp. It is rated at 400 watts at 4 ohms. I will hook the amp up using my pre-out jacks on the back of my HK receiver thereby bypassing the internal amp of the receiver. However, by doing this does it also relieve the strain i have been putting on my receiver because now the ampage is coming from the crown and not the hk reciever?

Third and final,and probably a idiot question. The crown being rated at 400 watts would blow the 250 watt speakers,how then do you know how far you can go with the volume before "blowing" them? Is their a gage on the crown amplifier that will tell when to stop turning the volume or is this just up to the listener to not crank it?.

Thanks guys.:confused:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The receiver will no longer be using its amps to power the 4 ohm load, so yes there will be no strain on the receiver coming from those speakers.

As far as using 400 watts with 250 watt speakers...you are in the clear. Most speakers are "blown out" due to too few watts, not too many watts as most think/say. Having an excess of watts is a much safer application for all intensive purposes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Chiming in here for my first post.

I agree with klipsch, I demo'd an old Pioneer Spec2 amp from the '70s, a 500w/ch beast of an amp. at the time I had a modest Denon stereo reciever with 60w/ch. Wen I pre-amped out of the Denon into the Pio, I got a bit nervous for my poor MTX 4-ways.(rated for 125w continuous)

Let me tell you, fear not the power. I pushed 300w/ch. into those speakers and never heard them sound so sweet. Yes, MTX. I thought I may be pushing my luck going to full power on the amp though, so I never did.

I definately am a believer in powering speakers beyond the rated output, and I still kick myself for not buying the amp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.