AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker has an H/K 430 that had the volume run away -- magically turn itself up to maximum. Once -- never again, and never something any of the rest of us have seen with any of our H/K receivers.

It seems that this is a bug that has been going on for a few versions to judge by aside remarks in other threads, but I haven't been able to find any detailed threads with specific discussions that mention models involved or hypothesized reasons.

We work for a Harman company so she fired an e-mail up the QC chain. Se got back a request for more information since it is a problem that seems to have sort of a mythical urban-legend feel to it, but not any sort of real reportable, debuggable symptoms but one people are sure is real and has happened to a friend-of-a-friend.

If there are any detailed threads I obviously haven't been able to find the correct search words to find them. The 1/2 hour I spent looking on the web brought up virtually nothing.

If anyone can point me to more information it would be great. 1. It would help prove that my co-worker isn't insane (at least about this) and 2. we have a channel to get feedback to someone who actually cares and might actually be able to get it fixed if it is a real problem.

Anyone have any links about this?

Thanks,

Rod.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It's definately NOT an urban legend. Some years ago I had two HK AVR500's that did it and one AVR7000.

You might want to look in the archive sections of AVS for a thread, if one exists. Anything over a year or so old will be there.

Patrick

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a friend with an AVR-320 receiver with this same issue.

It only happens when using the remote control though. He was able to reduce the occurences by disassembling the remote and fiddling with the buttons.

Quote:
magically turn itself up to maximum
I hope there is not a poltergeist involved with your friend's receiver...that would not be good. :D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Occasionally my cat sits on the remote, scares the crap out of both of us!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
With my HK runaway problems, I took out the batteries of my remote. The problem was verified with HK at the time, and it had nothing to do with the remote control!

·
Registered
246 Posts
It has happened to me twice in two years with my HK AVR 325. Click on my name and search other threads I've started. The consensus of that thread was it is not a HK problem but is triggered by fluorescent lighting. Who knows.

Anyway, it's downright frightening. Both times I was in full relaxation mode enjoying some tunes when the volume just goes through the roof. There's a split second of not knowing what's gong on, followed by frantically looking for the remote, then diving to the receiver to shut it off. It takes about three hours to get my heart rate to come back to normal.

My biggest fear is that it will happen when I'm not in the room and damage my precious speakers.

Anthony

·
Registered
584 Posts
Happened a couple of times with our HK 630. Turned out to be the remote sender we use for operating the satellite from another room that picked up the signal when we operated the HK DVD 22. Soon as we disconnected the remote sender, everything was fine. Strange one really.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Not just HK. I've had it happen twice with a Pio Elite 45tx, but the occurrences were 2 years apart. I just assume it's a neighbor's remote or other stray IR or RF...

John

BTW - Since I'm in Nevada, I could also blame Area 51 :)

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert
BTW - Since I'm in Nevada, I could also blame Area 51 :)

Or maybe it's from some stray radiation that's still floating around from all the atomic bomb testing that they used to do at the Nevada Test Site..... ;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
One thing I've noticed on my 635, is that it reacts to many of the remote commands from my other components remotes. Now, I don't mean that these other remotes change anything on my 635...but the front panel always lights up and becomes active as if it is receiving a command. I wonder if this volume issue isn't a result of some other similar interference.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I believe your 635 remote is very similar to my 430 remote which is a true learning remote and now controls my entire system. I would turn over operations to the HK remote, unless you have something cooler.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the volume problem with my 325 also. It first started doing it in the spring. I would release the volume button (up or down) on the remote & it would keep on going. It also did this with the cursor buttons when adjusting the channel level. It would do this in the dark, in the light or anywhere in between. It did this with the supplied remote & my Marantz RC2000. Never did it with a remote extender hooked up to zone 2. It would do it +/- 80% of the time. A reset didn't help at all.

I got jacked around by Future Shop, so even though they had it for 5 weeks, they never even looked at it, let alone fix it. It didn't do it for quite sometime after getting it back, maybe because it was unplugged for so long, but it's starting to do it again. I had a neighbor over checking out my system when it did it. Quite embarrasing.

I called HK Canada & they said to send it in, but my annual party coming up, & I gotta have tunes. I also have a front projector, so it's my only source of sound. The warranty runs out Sept. 3, so I might be screwed. I'll call & see if I can wait until the last week of Sept. They did start a file for me when I called to complain about Future Shop.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just to be clear, the remote was not being used or handled when the volume went through the roof the two times it happened on my system.

Anthony

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have an AVR 80 from 9 years ago, and it has done this lots of times. I usualy catch it before it gets all the way to +12, but it has maxed a couple of times. I sent back my first unit because of this. Second did it a couple months later. Can't believe this is still happening.

The avr80 had a lot of power in stereo + 97 db efficient early 90's Cerwin Vegas = realy friggen loud by accident. First time it maxed I was sitting on the toilet , freaked out. Never let it play while outside of the room after that. I've got Marantz now.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
My 430 did it two or three times before I installed the firmware update about a year ago. Hasn't done it since. I know they never mentioned a fix was included in the firmware update so maybe it is just a coincidence it has never happened since.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprro1
I have an AVR 80 from 9 years ago, and it has done this lots of times. I usualy catch it before it gets all the way to +12, but it has maxed a couple of times. I sent back my first unit because of this. Second did it a couple months later. Can't believe this is still happening.

The avr80 had a lot of power in stereo + 97 db efficient early 90's Cerwin Vegas = realy friggen loud by accident. First time it maxed I was sitting on the toilet , freaked out. Never let it play while outside of the room after that. I've got Marantz now.
Are you aware the AVR 80 was built by Marantz for Harman/Kardon.. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just got my AVR525 back from the shop for the same reason, it happened several times in 1 and 1/2 years I had it, several times on it's own no remote used, no other equipment on other than my TV and satellite.

other couple of times I was turning the volume up via the remote and just kept going, and the remote had no effect trying to lower it, I jumped up and used the knob no good, I used the remote again to lower it then it kept going lower on its own, very fast up then down depending on what I did

HK said to take it for service, it was the volume control encoder which had a crack in it due to improper packing from the factory, and that the styrofoam

material around it did not have the proper or sufficient cutout to fit the volume knob in it.

the shop tested it for five days straight during their business hours and they say it was ok, but then again I had it 1 1/2 years and it didn't happen until almost the second or the second year, so who knows what.

I was watching open range during the fist thunder storm seen when it went to max +10 and my walls were cracking, I now own a NAD T773 and going to retire or sell the HK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My HK AVR65 did this too. It would spike.... up and down all over the place. It was strange, it would not do it gracefully, just move directly from a low volume to a high volume. Perhaps because it is made in China?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.