AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is posted in the wrong place, I apologize.

I am a 10 year subscriber to Directv. I now have a Phase 3 dish and 4 receivers, all

installed by me and owned by me.....no commitments.

I want to upgrade one receiver to the H20, so I could 'try out' HDTV. I called

and was told that if I bought a H20 at Best Buy, it would be on a lease basis,

and I would have to accept a 2 year programming commitment when activated.

I asked what if I bought a used H20 at a pawn shop or ebay? The retention rep

said in that case, I would own the equipment and would not suffer a 2 year programming commitment. In fact, I qualified for 4 months free HDTV Service.

Can anyone advise if I am getting the straight story from this rep.

Can anyone advise the cost of a replacement access card for the H20 receiver?

·
Registered
733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostarr /forum/post/0

If this is posted in the wrong place, I apologize.

I am a 10 year subscriber to Directv. I now have a Phase 3 dish and 4 receivers, all

installed by me and owned by me.....no commitments.

I want to upgrade one receiver to the H20, so I could 'try out' HDTV. I called

and was told that if I bought a H20 at Best Buy, it would be on a lease basis,

and I would have to accept a 2 year programming commitment when activated.

I asked what if I bought a used H20 at a pawn shop or ebay? The retention rep

said in that case, I would own the equipment and would not suffer a 2 year programming commitment. In fact, I qualified for 4 months free HDTV Service.

Can anyone advise if I am getting the straight story from this rep.

Can anyone advise the cost of a replacement access card for the H20 receiver?

Well, first you only need the H20 if you want to get local HD broadcasts from the satellites. However, that would require upgrading the dish as well.

To just try out the package, I'd just pick up a cheap HD receiver off eBay which will work fine with your phase-3 and get all the HD except locals. If you can get an H20 cheap enough, it is fine too of course, but you still would not receive local HD from the satellite.

The new card was $10.00 if I remember correctly the last time I bought a used receiver.

If you like what you see and can live with the 2 year commitment, they will replace your dish and one receiver with an H20 at no charge. If you negotiate a little, you can get more (for example, I got them to give me 2 H20's for a 19.95 "shipping fee.").

·
Registered
733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostarr /forum/post/0

Thanks for your suggestions. I do plan to buy an H20 on ebay. My goal is to have no 2 year proramming commitment, not to get the receiver or a new dish cheap or free.

Well, that is your option of course. I weighed the 2 year against what I would get and what it would cost to opt out if I wanted to and went with the upgrade.

The new AU9 (Slimline) dish is far more rain fade resistant than my phase-3 dish was and that is a great thing right there (of course I know you could just buy one).

Also, the penalty for opting out starts at $300.00 and goes down every month into it. For me, that's 3 months service, hardly anything that would keep me from moving to cable if I thought that was a better option vs. continuing my $100.00 a month while being dissatisfied.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.