Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need some help.

I am a very happy owner of this PJ and I would like to place it on a shelf hi up near the ceiling, as this is the only short term solution that I would have, other than simply placing it on a coffee table - but I'd like to have it out of the way - kids and stuff...

Here is the question.

The shelf would have to be 84" from the floor. The distance then from the PJ lens to the screen would be approx. 13.6'. The screen is 49x87 (viewing) and the base is approx 24" from the floor (not too sure here).

Anyhow, what are my constraints ? I mean, since the pj will be on a shelf, I will have to place it in such a way that it shoots down at an angle towards the screen, is this ok ?

I just have no clue right now as I am totally new to PJ's ....if anyone has some experience please let me know.

thx !

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves
Hi,

I need some help.

I am a very happy owner of this PJ and I would like to place it on a shelf hi up near the ceiling, as this is the only short term solution that I would have, other than simply placing it on a coffee table - but I'd like to have it out of the way - kids and stuff...

Here is the question.

The shelf would have to be 84" from the floor. The distance then from the PJ lens to the screen would be approx. 13.6'. The screen is 49x87 (viewing) and the base is approx 24" from the floor (not too sure here).

Anyhow, what are my constraints ? I mean, since the pj will be on a shelf, I will have to place it in such a way that it shoots down at an angle towards the screen, is this ok ?

I just have no clue right now as I am totally new to PJ's ....if anyone has some experience please let me know.

thx !
well one thing you could do is just try various things, or you can try to mount the pj underneath the top shelf, so that way you dont have to deal with much angle and keystone... but its up to you..

Arty

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Arty,

the placement under the shelf is an idea, I assume you mean by that, attaching the pj to the buttom of the shel; indeed, not a bad idea, of course I would then need a ceiling mount type of thing....attach that to the shelf, then attach the pj to its mount and place the shelf on the wall. IS this sort of what you were thinking ?

I guess getting a mount would be necessary as these usually allow for some adjustments, otherwise I would have to go crazy finding the placement that would work.

Thank you Arty.

ww

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Arty,

the placement under the shelf is an idea, I assume you mean by that, attaching the pj to the buttom of the shel; indeed, not a bad idea, of course I would then need a ceiling mount type of thing....attach that to the shelf, then attach the pj to its mount and place the shelf on the wall. IS this sort of what you were thinking ?

I guess getting a mount would be necessary as these usually allow for some adjustments, otherwise I would have to go crazy finding the placement that would work.

Thank you Arty.

ww
yeah that is what i'm talking about, mounting the h31 under the very top shelf... that should be easier than mounting it to the actual ceiling, i know there are some cheap mounts, or you can diy mount and there are many ideas out there... but if your shelf is high enough you dont really need to mount the shelf to the wall, if you planned on doing that, you might as well get a swivel speaker wall mount and flip it upside down and drill some holes in it so the H31 will fit... but otherwise all you really need is a swivel and a plate of some kind to attach the two... hope this helps you out, and hope you enjoy the H31, its a great pj :D

Arty

here is a swivel that you could use, and just get an aluminum plate, and you are done...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2684088

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arty,

I am a bit ... slow here.

The most obvious question, how do I go about attaching the pj to the shelf ? Unfortunately I am asking these questions here and now, because I never have enough time and my pj is not here where I live, it is in my vacation home, that is probably a good reason why I might be asking retarded questions :) I just am not familiar at all with the object !

By the way I have had this pj for a 2,3 weeks, but really spent little time with it. I basically did get to set it up and turned it on, attached the screen (100' that was an offer with the H31 - amazingly, according to my wife who is at the house, it is still hanging on the wall !!!!!) and got a picture and WAS AMAZED, but that is about it.

Anyhow, as to the ceiling mount, that is ultimately where I'd want it, but I have to wait until the basement is finished, so this is all a temporary set-up, and the wall that faces the screen is I guess my best option, but because of its super weird surface, the area where I could put a shelf is as high as I was saying. Oh well oh well..... in a few words I am trying to get something set up decently enough so that I can enjoy the pj for the next 2 weeks when I will finallly be on vacation.

Ok, back for a minute to the issue at hand. I like the idea of the shelf because I know I might be able to do that (might ...). So, are there screws that one would use to attach the pj ?

On the other hand, the swivel sounds great also, but seems more complicated: aluminum plate ? is that where the pj would go ? where do I get it ? and the plate itself would have to be attached to swivel. I could imagine this not being so hard, it just sounds complicated though :)

Thanks for your help ! sorry a bit long

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Arty,

I am a bit ... slow here.

The most obvious question, how do I go about attaching the pj to the shelf ? Unfortunately I am asking these questions here and now, because I never have enough time and my pj is not here where I live, it is in my vacation home, that is probably a good reason why I might be asking retarded questions :) I just am not familiar at all with the object !

By the way I have had this pj for a 2,3 weeks, but really spent little time with it. I basically did get to set it up and turned it on, attached the screen (100' that was an offer with the H31 - amazingly, according to my wife who is at the house, it is still hanging on the wall !!!!!) and got a picture and WAS AMAZED, but that is about it.

Anyhow, as to the ceiling mount, that is ultimately where I'd want it, but I have to wait until the basement is finished, so this is all a temporary set-up, and the wall that faces the screen is I guess my best option, but because of its super weird surface, the area where I could put a shelf is as high as I was saying. Oh well oh well..... in a few words I am trying to get something set up decently enough so that I can enjoy the pj for the next 2 weeks when I will finallly be on vacation.

Ok, back for a minute to the issue at hand. I like the idea of the shelf because I know I might be able to do that (might ...). So, are there screws that one would use to attach the pj ?

On the other hand, the swivel sounds great also, but seems more complicated: aluminum plate ? is that where the pj would go ? where do I get it ? and the plate itself would have to be attached to swivel. I could imagine this not being so hard, it just sounds complicated though :)

Thanks for your help ! sorry a bit long
well if you are going to mount it on the ceiling eventually you might as well get a ceiling mount... if you search the H31 forum you will find some mounts that will work... one is the panavise mount that many use that are cheaper...
http://www.panavise.com/nf/main.html

here is the site on them... look into the cctv, even the speaker mounts might work... since the H31 is so light you dont reallly need to worry much about the strength of the mount... but for a temp placing, just buy the mount and attach it to the shelf and once your basement gets done, just transfer the whole thing where you want it... this way you only need to get 1 mount and dont have to worry about it as much... This way might be easier for you so then you dont have to worry about constructing one... enjoy!

Arty

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks again Arty.

I have to say I did laugh after reading your message since I can sense you read my prior message and correctly concluded I am one who needs the easiest possible solution since anything else might be just hopeless :)

Anyhow, yes indeed, that is what I am going to do. Meanwhile, I find out something you, you mention a H31 forum....now lets see if I can find that, I certainly did not know about it. But I did see the huge h31 thread, which I will religiously print and read at home during my vacation !!!!!!!!

supercool.

ww

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
thanks again Arty.

I have to say I did laugh after reading your message since I can sense you read my prior message and correctly concluded I am one who needs the easiest possible solution since anything else might be just hopeless :)

Anyhow, yes indeed, that is what I am going to do. Meanwhile, I find out something you, you mention a H31 forum....now lets see if I can find that, I certainly did not know about it. But I did see the huge h31 thread, which I will religiously print and read at home during my vacation !!!!!!!!

supercool.

ww

I would save your paper, its a really long thread... i'm just glad i started reading it before it got too big... but just a few questions for ya quick... what are you hooking up to the H31? dvd player? DVI? Component? HTPC? Upconverting DVD Player? if you aren't sure yet... talk to CMRA about DVD players, I can help you if you go the HTPC route, otherwise just keep reading the H31 forum :D well hope all goes well...

Arty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.