AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my search for a budget projector down to the Optoma H31 or H57. I have read several reviews on each and they both sound like great projectors.

The H31 can be had for aprox $1000 these days.

The H57 with a free lamp can be had for aprox $2000.

My home theater room will be in the basement that is completely light controlled and I will be projecting on a 100" diagonal matte white screen.

Is the H57 enough of an upgrade to warrant the extra $1000? The free lamp offer makes it a more attractive deal. What are peoples thoughts and advice between these two projectors?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. There are 2 substantial threads on these 2 projectors right now. Tons of info there. My 2 cents: the H57 would be my preference, due to higher rez, a little brighter and the free bulb doesn't hurt either. You'll get more enjoyment out of the HD-DVD's (when they arrive) as well. Not that anything is 'future proof' these days, but the H57 would be closer to that ideal than would the H31. Bottom line is you'll be happy with either purchase, as they're both highly regarded projectors. Good luck!

-Mike

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I was in the same boat as you were about 2 months ago. I ended up going with the H31 over the H57 because I was only going to use it for DVD viewing with my 2900, which is one of the best 480 players on the market. I am now wishing that I would have gone with H57 because I ended up being more sensitive to SDE than I thought I would be. I don't see it all the time, but I do see it enough that it can bug me from time to time. I was going to upgrade my projector, but the company I purchased it from would not let me return it because they have a 10 day return policy and I was 12 days out when I called. I was not very happy with them because I was willing to upgrade to a more expensive projector, and they wouldn't budge. I can tell you one thing, I will do everything I can to avoid purchasing another unit from that company. I am a national account manager and we do everything we can to make sure our customers are happy with their purchases and if somebody wants to upgrade to the next model up and pay the difference, we would most definitely allow it. I understand their is a concern on bulb usage, but I only watched two movies on the thing.... If you would like to know the name of the company, please PM me and I will share that with you.

Anyways, sorry to go on about my unpleasant experience. I am projecting onto a 92" screen and I am sitting almost 14 feet back from the screen. This will also make a difference in what unit you should go with. Everybody on this forum recommends sitting back between 1.7-2.0 times the size of your screen. The H31 is definitely a great unit for the price, as long as you are not sensitive to the SDE. I just wish I would have gone with the H57.

That is just my opinion...

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
The higher res Pj wins the day. Then again the H78 and H79 put the 57 in its place too.

Well you know that little voice in your head? You know the one that warned you about the pretty girl? The one that got between you and instant debt when you were salivating over that new ride? The one that popped up everytime Mom mentioned something about rainy days? That's me.

Yes, I know you want the H57. And, the prettiest girl too. So, I'll be straight with ya. Are they worth the price? Need I say more?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I ended up with the lower resolution projector from a company, that in my opinion, is not very customer friendly and I am now stuck with it unless I can sell it for close to what I purchased it for.....

The good news is, I still have a pretty girl! :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Please visit our H57 owners thread. I was just in your shoes exactly 2 weeks ago. My H57 arrives tomorrow!!!!

Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by emul8ter
I have narrowed my search for a budget projector down to the Optoma H31 or H57. I have read several reviews on each and they both sound like great projectors.

The H31 can be had for aprox $1000 these days.

My home theater room will be in the basement that is completely light controlled and I will be projecting on a 100" diagonal matte white screen.

Is the H57 enough of an upgrade to warrant the extra $1000? The free lamp offer makes it a more attractive deal. What are peoples thoughts and advice between these two projectors?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emul8ter

where?

the H57 review ( http://www.projectorreviews.com/review.asp?reid=35 ) puts it in that price range too. but that's now what I am finding?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.