AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of the following setup for HTPC video, Radeon 9700 Pro, accessDTV HDTV Tuner/Recorder and the Holo3D card for video processing.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup? Is it overkill? I want to watch DVD's, record DTV and HDTV and output all of this to my Pioneer PDP-505HD Plasma Monitor (has composite, S-Video, 2 Component and VGA inputs).

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have the same setup as you but using the MyHD card and an M-Audio card. Works great.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rich,

Thanks. Can you tell me exactly (pretty please) how you have it connected and how you do video input switching. Do you have a pc monitor attached or do you use the plasma for both purposes? Why did you choose MyHD over accessDTV? Based on comments from this forum, I was going to choose the access card because of its ability to pause live TV (I have 2 kids under 5 and this is something I need). What do you have your audio card connected to? And how is it connected? Do you use cable, sat or ota? Lastly and most importantly, how is the picture quality for DVD, TV and playback?

Answers are much appreciated.

·
Banned
959 Posts
i had a similar set-up, holo and 9700 pro. found the holo to be a little soft on the film based dvd's. don't need the other stuff. i'm gonna run the hdtv and games straight to the pj. don't watch cable or sat,

·
Registered
55 Posts
I looking at putting the same htpc system together with the 9700 Pro, MyHD, and H3D with a 503CMX plasma w/5002.

Are these three cards complementary?

Are they even necessary?

The MyHD is the ntsc and atsc tuner. So I know that is necessary w/ the 503cmx.

But what about the NEED for the other two.

Doesn't the MyHD upconvert non-hd signals to 1080i? So does that make the H3D unnecessary?

Is the full power of the 9700 Pro necessary or can I get a cheaper (still DVI) radeon? If the MyHD w/ or w/o the H3D is generating a 1080 signal, why do I need a powerful video card like the 9700 Pro to display it?

HELP, I'm trapped in a bubble gum factory!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmbnyc
Can you tell me exactly (pretty please) how you have it connected and how you do video input switching. Do you have a pc monitor attached or do you use the plasma for both purposes? Why did you choose MyHD over accessDTV? Based on comments from this forum, I was going to choose the access card because of its ability to pause live TV (I have 2 kids under 5 and this is something I need). What do you have your audio card connected to? And how is it connected? Do you use cable, sat or ota? Lastly and most importantly, how is the picture quality for DVD, TV and playback?

HDTV cards, like MyHD and AccessDTV, allow you to pass-through the HD video. So MyHD and the Radeon outputs are connected through a special cable which has a third connection for the VGA display (a projector in my case). I also own AccessDTV but gave up on them a year ago when they fell behind in supporting their software; they are doing better now. I like the MyHD interface but you are correct - only AccessDTV can support pausing live TV. AccessDTV has a horrible file naming convention.

My Cable TV box is attached to my H3D card thorugh S-video as is my external DVD player (H3D has S-video, composite, or you can select component/SDI). I hooked up the SPDIF audio from my cable box to my M-Audio card SPDIF in. The M-Audio, MyHD, and RP82 SPDIF out's are hooked up to an Audio Authority automatic switcher and then to the receiver (which does not have enough digital inputs). With the M-Audio control panel, I can select the internal or external audio sources if needed.

The cable TV PQ is very high for digital channels (including the premium HBO etc. channels) - remember that I "enlarge" the picture through the projector so defects are more obvious. Analog channels are not good but you can adjust the picture. So I use the H3D program for the "normal" high quality sources and have configured Dscaler to darken and reduce the contrast and saturation of the analog channels (eg Fox, UPN).

External DVD playback through H3D using a Panasonic RP82 has very good PQ on my 8-foot wide projected screen. On the other hand, Zoom using the Cinemaster 1.5 filters looks very close.

You cannot use MyHD to output your main video and you still need a primary video card for H3D/DVD/overlay playback. Other programs cannot direct their video to MyHD. The 9700 Pro is expensive and has excellent PQ, but you can wait for reviews of the 9500/9500 Pro to see if you can get those cards for less IF they can deliver the same PQ). Note that the 9700 series does suffer from "occasional" powerup problems (no biggies - even with the RMA'd card from ATI, I need to re-cold boot my HTPC one out of 10 times).

Plus, when you use Radeon cards, you get Cliff's scoped settings that allow you to get a head start in optimizing PQ :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.