AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If not what other options do you recommend for getting the best out of digital TV signals (SD cable)and onto a plasma screen.

I have not heard owners of the H3D praise how good the card is.

There was a big interest when this card was announced and now all is quiet.

How about Dscaler?

All reply's welcome, don't be shy!

Steve.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you haven't seen the praise for the H3D card, you probably haven't run any searches.... : )

I have the card and use it to input my DirecTV (SVideo) and Panasonic RP-82 (Component). It does an incredible job on both inputs. The SVideo input in particular is very clean. The Card comes with its own software which performs very well - excellent UI. The latest version of DScaler also works and adds all of the filters/de-interlacing that we all know and love.

It's a great combination.

Darryl

·
Registered
48 Posts
How is this better than using one of the standard inputs (AIW, Hauppauge, etc.). Sorry if I am late to this discussion :^)

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
213 Posts
The H3D card offers composit, component, SVideo, and SDI inputs, and also offers DCDi processing. It was designed from the ground up as a high quality de-interlacer/processor, not a mass market "TV" card. The inputs are especially clean - I've compared my Holo3DGraph to a KBK-modified Zoltrix card (considered to be a very clean capture card) and there was an obvious improvement with the H3D card.

Do a search on Holo3Dgraph or H3D in both the Home theater and video processor forums and you'll see more discussion.

Darryl

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darryl,

I've got a MSI [email protected] input card in my HTPC but my Digital STB doesnt have SVHS out so i can't use it.

I don't know whether to buy a convertor to get to SVHS and try the MSI or go for the H3D.

Steve.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
785 Posts
One question I have on this is does it work with macrovision encoded titles (any commercial DVD) on the component input or does it distort the picture? No one seems to be able to tell me forsure. If it works then I will be ordering one soon, if not then I will have to wait until I can afford to get a multi region non macrovision sdi modified one.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi,

With the latest HOLO3D drivers, there is no AGC problem (no pulsing) when playing Macrovision encoded material. You should be fine.

There were some minor problems with some macrovision sources, but drivers starting in October fixed that.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Anyone compared the Holo3d card to dscaler running either the Xcapture or MSI cards? With the new dscaler alpha and Xcapture, I'm very impressed but have never seen the HOlo card.

I'm primarily concerned with digital cable input via S-video and would probably end up using component input for a game system as opposed to dvd player. I wonder if the DCDI descaling would offer a true plug and play situation for watching tv on a pc without having to fuss with filters and such. It seems most of the HOlo reviewers use dscaler so perhaps the HOlo doesn't provide all the filtering, etc. that dscaler does?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Dscaler and Holo3D are complementary products. If you want to play with filters etc., Dscaler is the right program. The H3D GUI does not offer the Dscaler filtering but has many picture adjustments, including White Level and Black Level (different from contrast and brightness).

For me, as a projector owner, the Holo3D card is well worth it and I recommend it for projector owners - the more you enlarge the picture, the better you feel about the "big bucks" you invested in the H3D card. The H3D card is unmatched for its super clean picture with s-video inputs. I pass my digital cable box s-video output through H3D and it looks very good on an 8-foot wide screen (I also use a Radeon 9700 Pro).

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

i'm a hdtv user with a 65" screen and the HOLO makes ntsc watchable from 10.5'. it also does wonders for vcr's, ld players and scaling dvd's to 1080i is amazing.

peter m.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The H3D provides a huge leap up in terms of noise reduction on the S-Video inputs. Worth every penny just for that.

The ability to take in SDI and Component inputs is the icing on the cake.

If you have a PJ, and view any analog sources (SD TV, S-VHS, LD), then it's a must-have.

Besides, the H3D GUI is excellent. Good work Mark.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The GUI is worth the price by itself. I now use the H3D vice my Vigatec 1280 SDI which is now a switcher and a backup processor if my HTPC catches the 'flu.' Maybe this sounds just slightly over-the-top, but it really is about as slick as it gets. Output is superb too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can you guys post some screen shots/pictures with your H3D enhenced satellite (non HD) programs ? I want to see if PQ with H3D is justified !

Many thanks in advance...

·
Registered
420 Posts
2 Questions:

How does the Faroudja DCDI processing/scaling compare to what's available in Dscaler? Is it really the "bee's knees"?

-only concerned with digital cable/dss via svideo

-I've never been able to get Tom's Mocomp to work reliably so primarily use greedy methods

With the Holo card, say you want to use the built-in DCDI processing/scaling but want to turn on a noise filter from Dscaler on some channels. Is this possible or do you have to use one or the other at any given time for scaling?

'

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

1. HOLO is hardware D'SCALER is software

2. Take your pick

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Rejhon
Hi,

With the latest HOLO3D drivers, there is no AGC problem (no pulsing) when playing Macrovision encoded material. You should be fine.

There were some minor problems with some macrovision sources, but drivers starting in October fixed that.
Mark,

The pulsing is fixed, I watched the entire Ice Age and MIBII in S-video this evening. As good as the SDI. Thanks for the great support.

CH Yeow

Edit: Ice Age, not Edge.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_T
If not what other options do you recommend for getting the best out of digital TV signals (SD cable)and onto a plasma screen.

I have not heard owners of the H3D praise how good the card is.

There was a big interest when this card was announced and now all is quiet.

How about Dscaler?

All reply's welcome, don't be shy!

Steve.
Hi Steve,

The reason is many are now enjoying the H3D card that they do not have time to post here. ;)

Besides a great card, there is Mark Rejhon who gives great support here and in the Immersive forum.

Add the H3D with Mike Parker's MP-1 graphics card modification and the picture is a scream.

Cheers,

CH Yeow

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have taken the relative lack of H3D traffic to mean that you just plug it in, and it works, and it works well. The fact that I've seen very few posts on people tweaking settings suggests that there's no knobs needed to tweak, since it works out of the box. Plus, I've seen even fewer posts about problems.

Up to this point, HTPC traffic seems centered around constantly tweaking for the best possible output. It seems that the Holo3DGraph has quite simply ended the debate on how to get the best possible input. Mine's been ordered, and is on its way. I won't be able to use it until I get my A-Tech case though. It's very difficult to wait!

- Chris

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Here I go again with the basic, HTPC amateur questions...

I have a MP modded Radeon, and am looking to get a Zenith 520. I assume the best way to utilize this setup is with SDI. Can the Zenith be modded to SDI?

As it is, standard DTV is not that bad, considering I don't care that much compared to DVD and HDTV, but I'm always looking for improvement.

Is this unit for me?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sheesh. This question has been asked a few times already in this thread, but I'll try again.

Suppose you want the best picture. Hardware, software, ease of setup, cost, etc, etc, are irrelevant. How does the picture using H3D compare to using DScaler with one of the supported capture cards? Anyone have pictures?

I'm using DScaler, and the picture I get feeding SVid from my DirecTivo is barely watchable on my front projection system. I've always assumed that this was due to the high compression of DirecTV. If, however, H3D would give me a noticably better picture, I'll definately get one, and I don't care what they cost.

Thanks!

- Dave

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.