AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the HTPC forum for months last year, I had finally decided against building one since my hobby is building high-end digital audio workstations and one set of PC related headaches was enough.

My problem now is that my Hughes E86 after having problems locking on to OTA signals for several weeks, has now gone basically dead on the OTA side and yes, I have a good strong confirmed signal from the antenna. The satellite side is fine. I assume this is probably due to the Hughes clones infamous overheating issue but whatever, I am way out of warranty and now need a new reciever for HD at a minimum. I have a spare PIII 1G box that I can put the H3D card into. From what I've read, that is plenty of power for that card and it looks like that is basically a turnkey solution with all the tweaking ability of a build it yourself HTPC without a lot of the hassles. But, 7 feet away from a Mits 46807 (46") set would I see a reasonably significant improvement in PQ using the H3D card for DirecTV SD and OTA HD over a new STB to justify the extra $650 or so? (a new Zenith HD Sat-520 for example is about $500). The new STB's supposedly have much improved SD upconversion and stretch modes but I have not seen much in the forum regarding direct comparisions between this card and those STB's.

For DVD's, I use a Toshiba progressive scan player that has the multiple zoom options so the picture can be resized almost any way I want but I understand the H3D card can still do a lot more for DVD's. But again, is a 46" set big enough to actually see the difference? A lot of people who rave about HTPC's and this card are using 100-200" projectors.

I know this is always a difficult question for you guys to answer because it comes down to personal taste. All I can say is yes, I am picky and have sharp eyes and I generally like to tweak.

TIA, comments please

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.