AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I want to upgrade my 730i HTPC system. Which is the best choice for HD audio bitstreaming and flawless 24P BR/MKV video playback trough XBMC and TMT3?

Gigabyte H55 ATX mobo + i3-540 or Passive 5450 or passive GT430

Thanks for your reply.

mod: my spec: Harmony 555 Panasonic PT-AE2000E Onkyo TX-SR875 B&W CDM-7SE B&W CMC SE B&W DM-305 JBL PSW-1000

HTPC: Antec Fusion Black ASUS P5N7A-VM E5200 Scythe Shuriken 2GB A-Data EE800+ Lite-On iHOS104 Samsung 4Tb Logitech DiNovo Mini

·
Registered
389 Posts
An i3 combo won't do 24p. Not sure about the GT 430. The 5450 will.

If the 16x PCIe slot is available on your motherboard the 5450 is your best, and cheapest, upgrade route. It's the identical combo I use and I have no complaints other than some tweaking may be required depending on your definition of "flawless."

In case you don't already know, TMT3 (and TMT5) does not autoswitch the framerate (yet). TMT's playback framerate is dependent upon the framerate your monitor is set at.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I would recommend a 5570 if you truly want a full suite of video processing capabilities as well. The 5450 doesn't handle deinterlacing as well.

HIS makes a nice low-profile passive 5570 for ~$70.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How can i imagine the better picture? How is it better?

Today i checked the h55 i3 option, and i haven't seen any flickering or frame drop. Is it possible that Intel fixed the driver issue, or i don't know what should i check?

(sorry for my English)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dni /forum/post/0

How can i imagine the better picture? How is it better?

Today i checked the h55 i3 option, and i haven't seen any flickering or frame drop. Is it possible that Intel fixed the driver issue, or i don't know what should i check?

(sorry for my English)

If you don't notice it, then STOP looking for it. Once your eyes notice the jitter, one time, you'll unfortunately see it every time from then on. In this case, ignorance IS bliss!

But, the answer to your original question is still the passive 5570.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dni /forum/post/19595525

Hi folks!

I want to upgrade my 730i HTPC system. Which is the best choice for HD audio bitstreaming and flawless 24P BR/MKV video playback trough XBMC and TMT3?

Gigabyte H55 ATX mobo + i3-540 or Passive 5450 or passive GT430

Thanks for your reply.

mod: my spec: Harmony 555 Panasonic PT-AE2000E Onkyo TX-SR875 B&W CDM-7SE B&W CMC SE B&W DM-305 JBL PSW-1000

HTPC: Antec Fusion Black ASUS P5N7A-VM E5200 Scythe Shuriken 2GB A-Data EE800+ Lite-On iHOS104 Samsung 4Tb Logitech DiNovo Mini

The i3 , Onkyo , XBMC and 24p combo for bit streaming is problematic.

You will get lots of audio dropouts as the Intel HDMI implementation

has issues working with the earlier generation Onkyos such as your 875.

24p mode on the i3 has it problems as well.

The newer Nvidia GF108 cards such at the GT430 will work with XBMC but

there are 2 main issues

1)Silent stream bug. Nvidia terminates the HDMI audio connection when it

is not in use and attempts to reopen the connection when there is audio.

XMBC's audio driver can lock up and you will not get audio until XBMC is restarted.

This is very annoying when the HTPC comes out of suspend or hibernation.

2)Mpeg2 (DVD) image quality on XBMC is quite poor, there is little post processing.

H.264 is OK.

The AMD 5xxx series performs the best with XBMC with none of the issues described above.

The 5450 is a little underpowered.

I run XBMC in an i3-530 on XBMC using a 5550 and Onkyo 885.

I also have a GTX 460 (GF104) running XBMC on another machine

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia /forum/post/19599015

The i3 , Onkyo , XBMC and 24p combo for bit streaming is problematic.

You will get lots of audio dropouts as the Intel HDMI implementation

has issues working with the earlier generation Onkyos such as your 875.

24p mode on the i3 has it problems as well.

The newer Nvidia GF108 cards such at the GT430 will work with XBMC but

there are 2 main issues

1)Silent stream bug. Nvidia terminates the HDMI audio connection when it

is not in use and attempts to reopen the connection when there is audio.

XMBC's audio driver can lock up and you will not get audio until XBMC is restarted.

This is very annoying when the HTPC comes out of suspend or hibernation.

2)Mpeg2 (DVD) image quality on XBMC is quite poor, there is little post processing.

H.264 is OK.

The AMD 5xxx series performs the best with XBMC with none of the issues described above.

The 5450 is a little underpowered.

I run XBMC in an i3-530 on XBMC using a 5550 and Onkyo 885.

I also have a GTX 460 (GF104) running XBMC on another machine

Thanks for your reply, today i will order an 5570 from the local store. I choosed this model: HIS HD 5570 Silence (DirectX 11/ Full HD 1080p) 1GB (128bit) DDR3 PCIe (i can't link because of forum rules)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi dni,

I've been doing something similar on an HTPC. Based on an ASRock H55m pro motherboard with i3 dual core, I've got both the HIS Radeon HD 5570 card (silence) and an EVGA GT 430 card, running XBMC Dharma RC1 / RC2. The HTPC is hooked up to a 3 yr old Vizio LCD via HDMI.

Both cards work, but I've had small issues with both. The 5570 has smooth playback of H264 and MPEG2 video (software or DXVA2) where the GT 430 has mostly good playback--have to use software processing for MPEG2 interlaced video. Some stutter on side to side panning, but I can't see the combined cores of the CPU spike over 30%.

The GT 430 also exhibits a problem of not being able to restore video when coming out of sleep sometimes.

The 5570 is good once I disabled the underscan feature, but under both 10.10e and the 10.11 drivers I have intermittent graphics corruption. The VGA port may totally garble the screen (color white noise) while using the HDMI port will show some graphics corruption in text under XBMC. That's as far as I went before getting the GT 430 to compare against. IQ is good once I played around with the software/hardware acceleration in XBMC.

Both cards can run furmark and GPU memory tests for hours (days) without any problems. I've turned off O/C in the BIOS (loaded the default OC settings), yet still cannot the system 100% rock solid and stable.

I'm waiting either for a hotfix from ATI on the 10.11 drivers, or see if the next mainline release works better with the card.

HTH

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a Sapphire 5570 512mb GDDR5 with AC cooler. I hope it will work like a charm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts