AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the very first pj I have ever owned and with all the talk on these boards and in other places I expected this projector to have very few if any noticable rainbows.

But I have been dissapiontant and I am not sure about this only 1 or 2 percent thing because everyone that has seen my projector has noticed it , is something wrong with my pj or is this the way it is suppose to be?

Will increasing the refresh rate on the incomeing signal help?.. probley not actually.

Is there a service menu also on this projector?.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm currently using the H55 which has the slower colour wheel. I previously had the LS110 which had the same colour wheel setup as the H56. When we first got the LS110, I could see rainbows all the time, then after a while they became less. Now I'm using the H55 slower colour wheel and again rainbows are everywhere. Now when I went to demo the H56, I was surprised to see that rainbows were pretty much non-existent. I had to really try to see them. This is a good indication that this artifact is indeed all in our head and it will go away after some time. (i've read that others noticed this too)

So there you go, you'll probably get used to the rainbows and they'll go away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I hope your right.

I am a bit worried about other people comeing to see it though.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
It could be a calibration issue...the wheel may not be synchronized properly, hence giving you rainbow. Unfortunately, the only way to know is by swapping your projector for another one.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Rainbow artifacts are definitely NOT "all in our head". (Except that of course that's where we actually perceive them!) However, it is my and some other folks' experience that you can learn to watch in a way that minimized the rainbows -- whether you do this consciously or not. Keep head movement to a minimum, don't dart your eyes from one side of the screen to the other, and you won't see as many rainbows. This has been my experience with the NEC LT150, and I can still see rainbows any time I want to by moving my eyes or head back and forth.

As to the H56, it does surprise me that someone would see them that easily, but some people are more sensitive to them. Whether you will be able to desensitize yourself to them by calibrating/tweaking the projector (some say that more brightness/contrast = more rainbows) or your viewing habits is something only you can decide.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Zieprus,

I found that I am pretty sensitive to rainbows, and was made aware of how to see them and how annoying they can be through this forum. I like others wanted my money to be well spent and wasn't sure of how my family would react to the rainbow issue. I chose to stay quiet about it, since my wife is very particular about RPTV screen focus and loves the look of our Sony direct view set. I have never had anyone complain about even noticing them except our 17 year son that plays a ton of video games. We now have around 170 hours on our pj and my sensitivity to the rainbows has almost disappeared! I had to relax, concentrate on the story line, and stop worrying about how the pj was projecting. I set the pj during the first few minutes of a film, sit back and relax and purposely stop scanning the screen, and I have trained rainbows away on 90% of what I view. I believe that knowing about the phenomena made me look for it harder, but my enjoyment has gone up drastically after a month with the pj since I have learned to relax. By the way, the wife still doesn't know rainbows exist and I'm sure not going to tell her how to see them.

DG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.