AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, but already addicted....

I needed some input on a new projector purchase. I currently have a LCD projector - Sharp 100U and am looking to jump into the DLP arena. I know that no matter what I am going to see a big jump in quality, but I am having trouble deciding with the brands - not knowing the history of the different products.

I am looking at an Optoma H79, Runco 420, or the Domino 30H. I would love any input you might have to help me narrow down my choices or any other suggestiions you might have.

Thanks so much for you help!!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
See the sticky at the top of this forum. Jason of AVS has posted his observations on the Runco CL-420. The Optoma is also good. Don't know about the Domino.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've seen the Domino 30H and it is awesome. While the 30H has slightly better blacks, I would go for the Samsung SP-H710AE. It's much less expensive, the processing is just as good, and the calibration is much easier. If looks are important, it's a toss-up. The 30H is beautiful in piano black or gloss white, while the Samsung has a nicer shape and is less obtrusive in it's soft gold color. The color accuracy on the SP-H710AE is amazing, especially without calibration.

I'm a bang for the buck kind of guy. I doubt there's much room for discounting off the Samsung's $3,999 list, but even at that price, it blows the competition out of the water.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The samsung is already online at reputable sites for over 1k less than msrp.

But 700 lumens is low for a new pj these days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for much for the information.

I'll take a look at the Samsung as well...

I am a little concerned about the Optoma's lamp life.

I know the Domino supposedly has 6,000 hours before

replacing, but I don't know how accurate that is.

Does anyone think the non-glass optics in the Runco is an issue?

Thanks again,

Paul

·
Registered
124 Posts
df4801 - Those aren't reputable sites. Especially since none of the ones advertising that price are authorized for internet resales. According to the distributor, there are 3 authorized internet resellers - TV Authority (a forum sponsor), Invision Display, and Projector People.

·
Registered
566 Posts
gnomey,

Authorized no, reputable yes. There is a difference.

I guess its up tp each buyer to decide whether a "factory" warranty is worth over $1K.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Is Best Buy a "reputable" store? I think most of us would think so, but.....

I quess not, as they had a lower rating than almost all the others.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1823.html

Whats even funnier is that the one place I found, is a store I have used many times without a problem, and its not even mentioned by you above.

By the way, I didnt use pricerunner either.

·
Registered
124 Posts
df4801 - now that you've brought it up, no, Best Buy isn't particularly reputable as an online retailer. Both online shipments and instore pickups that I've done with them have had major issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.