AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a new H79 installed first of June and just burned out my first lamp. Does this seem too soon?? Any suggestions. I watch normal probably 10-15 hours per week. First of june to now is roughly 28 weeks. So not even 500 hours on lamp.

HUM!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I feel your pain. Mine just went out at 358 hours. I've never turned it on more than once a day (except for two times when the pj just locked up :confused: ) and usually watched about 2 to 3 hours per usage. Always in econo mode so this is piss poor performance.

I was just doing a search for other H79 lamp failures to start a thread like this myself. It would be great if other H7X users could list their lamp hours of when they went bad or took an abnormally large brightness hit. It would also be great to hear from all of the owners who are at 500+ hours with the lamp still going strong (normal dimming acceptable of course).

Here's the list I've started so far. I know I found at least three more premature failures in a search the other day but couldn't find them this morning:

BJM (me)-- brightness hit at 200 hours, bad at 358 hours (only putting out 10 lumens)

jdcates--bad at less than 500 hours

Earz--noticeably dim at 200 hours, ready to blow at 600

knmlee--bad at about 100 hours

Dave Harper--just says he had a premature bad bulb no hours listed

Guitarman says he's at 1200 hours and is at about 50% output. It should really be 50% at around 2000 hours but this is still pretty good and I would consider that acceptable.

Other H77,78,79 owners please report! Thanks!

Brent

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had my 78 since the end of August, it has 80hrs on it and it is starting to dim already. I figure 2 bulbs per year ??

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can the ones with good lamps post here too? Since I have a H79 (european) on the way these things always make me nervous. Maybe it´s a really good thing mine comes with a 1000 hours/1 year lamp warranty.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My original H79's bulb did not fail, but appeared too dim to me after 400 hours to the point that I had to use the brite mode to get acceptable brightness. I purchased my new bulb after froogling for "Optoma H79 replacement bulb."

Dan

·
Registered
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB
Guys, just curious....what is the cost of a new H79 bulb?
I just paid $342 for mine w/shipping. Just do an internet search.

Brent

·
Registered
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy
Can the ones with good lamps post here too? Since I have a H79 (european) on the way these things always make me nervous. Maybe it´s a really good thing mine comes with a 1000 hours/1 year lamp warranty.
That's sweet! Chances are you'll need it. Yes please, other H7X owners with good bulbs with a few hundred hours plus please report so this is not biased. Thanks.

Brent

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
I ran some tests.

New bulb in bright mode does 796 lumens

1200hrs on the bulb does 417lumens. So after 1200hrs I was getting 10.5ftl off the screen. You want 12ftl to be at reference standard. A screen that has some added gain will help here.

Bright mode on a new bulb is too much, 796lumens is 20ftl off a 1.0gain screen. In econo I get 597lumens which is 15ftl and much better.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've got 150 hours on my 3rd H79 and it did the red light blinking on startup 3 times in a row, just this last week alone. It has started each time after pulling the plug and letting it sit :rolleyes: When it finally fires up it puts out an amazing picture, though.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ
I've got 150 hours on my 3rd H79 and it did the red light blinking on startup 3 times in a row, just this last week alone. It has started each time after pulling the plug and letting it sit :rolleyes: When it finally fires up it puts out an amazing picture, though.
I'm also getting this kind of behaviour. Once in a while, the lamp won't start up and the red light starts flashing. Power down and re-try, it works every time. I've noticed no decrease in brightness, and I'm guessing I've got about 300 hours on it in about 9 months.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Brent my last H77 was just like yours, around 380 hrs and would not hardly fire up anymore, and was very dim. I tryed to reseat the lamp to, no luck. Put my new spare in and all was well for awhile, then it started dimming very quickly, then at 30 hrs started to flickering and then had Optoma swapped it out. They figured it was a bad lamp power supply. I stopped using my APC backup and only using a Monster surge protector now.

Dale

·
Registered
513 Posts
OK this is getting depressing :(.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
I have this stuff an audio buddy of mine recommended. It's called Di-oxit or De-oxit. It's well known for making electrical connectors or pots work better, even recommended for light bulbs. A small amount on the tip of a light bulb gives better and more stable results. It might be worth a try on the connectors for the projector bulbs.

http://www.caig.com/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...99001?v=glance

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman
I have this stuff an audio buddy of mine recommended. It's called Di-oxit or De-oxit. It's well known for making electrical connectors or pots work better, even recommended for light bulbs. A small amount on the tip of a light bulb gives better and more stable results. It might be worth a try on the connectors for the projector bulbs.

I have both the g5 connector enhancer and the Deoxit d5 power booster that I use on my speaker wires and ic's once a year.

What are your thoughts on any possible warranty problems after using this on bulb connectors?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman

If its so good why don't the manufacturers put it on the fricking blubs? Same goes for power cords, cabling, etc.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz
I have both the g5 connector enhancer and the Deoxit d5 power booster that I use on my speaker wires and ic's once a year.

What are your thoughts on any possible warranty problems after using this on bulb connectors?

Good ? I'll ask. But if it works miracles on bulb flicker and makes bulbs last longer and be brighter, does away with the occasional warning lights I would think they would welcome deoxit. Never thought about using it on the wire ends. I used it mainly for a Nak deck I got, it did work miracles there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did notice dimmer image on my H79 after about 300 hours (since October). Yesterday the bulb literally exploded in small pieces. From what I can see it does not seems related to a cooling problem. It is now back to the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our new H79 was professionally installed in October/05. Calibration was done in early Dec/05. I noticed degradation in the illumen output a few weeks ago. I changed to britemode and noticed a slight improvement. Since changing to britemode and with "only" 47 hours logged on the bulb, the light output has degraded to at most 10% it's level two weeks ago- beyond acceptable viewing.

:mad:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.