AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/1532667/ha-brain-overload-my-wife-is-tired-of-me-talking-about-it/0_100#post_24773501

Doing the RadioRA2 system requires a few hours of training that you can do online for free. You have to do that and pass the (open book) exam to gain access to the programming software.

The nice thing about the GrafikEye (the QS models, which are RadioRA2-capable) is that you could start with just that, and later join it to a RadioRA2 setup if you wanted. But for just doing one room, I would stick with IR control for the GrafikEye. And the QS models also have an IR input jack on the back - I should have mentioned that earlier. Other models lack that...

Good to know.

As you mentioned in another thread the cost of a 5-6 zone Grafik eye would be comparable to the cost of Insteon set up (assuming purchase of ISY controller)

Unless I was looking at some incorrect costs. I might consider the RA2 units for the Theater room one day but is I have to get a HA controller for security sensors then..... I'm not sure

What are your thoughts on the retrofit security sensors that are out there?

I could hard wire about 4-5 of the sensors "easily" but would that even be worth it to have to buy something like an Elk?

As the title says Brain Overload.....

But asking questions and lots of reading is how I learn...... oh ya and mistakes LOL

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77  /t/1532667/ha-brain-overload-my-wife-is-tired-of-me-talking-about-it#post_24773565

Good to know.

As you mentioned in another thread the cost of a 5-6 zone Grafik eye would be comparable to the cost of Insteon set up (assuming purchase of ISY controller)

It's in the same "ballpark" - figure $700-ish... The GrafikEye is probably more than the sum total of the Insteon pieces parts, but IMO the GrafikEye beats 5+ switches on the wall and all the associated hassles hands down...
Quote:
Unless I was looking at some incorrect costs. I might consider the RA2 units for the Theater room one day but is I have to get a HA controller for security sensors then..... I'm not sure

What are your thoughts on the retrofit security sensors that are out there?

I could hard wire about 4-5 of the sensors "easily" but would that even be worth it to have to buy something like an Elk?

If you want the security system to be monitored, you're probably looking at something like an Elk anyway. I'm not the DIY security system guy, though...

·
Registered
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/1532667/ha-brain-overload-my-wife-is-tired-of-me-talking-about-it#post_24772286

Because I couldn't figure out how to get "scenes" working, and then it appeared that I wouldn't be able to do what I wanted without getting the ISY or other external controller.

And since I could DIY the RadioRA stuff, and was able to get it "cheap" (still 2x the Insteon parts), and it *is* rock-solid and would absolutely do what I wanted, I went that route. Also, the keypads look a lot nicer and have more options... (again, at a cost)

It may be possible that the Insteon solution could be made to work, but at the time (3+ years ago), the documentation was poor and frustrating. The RadioRA stuff has been very simple and quite robust.

Haven't looked back at your security requirements (I assume you mean integration with security system), but I'd be surprised if they aren't covered with RadioRA2. Look at the RadioRA2 Visor Control Receiver unit - that's where the security system integration occurs. There are inputs there to signal for alarm mode (all on, flashing exterior lights, etc.) for example...

See their note on security integration:

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/3672146_RA2%20Security%20Opp.pdf

Jeff

I'd love to know a good source for RA2 locally here in Houston, if it's something you can share. Not trying to leverage up a personal relationship you have or anything, but I'm considering a switch to RA2, and an economic source for hardware would be very helpful (as would an outlet for a boatload of Insteon switches...)

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat  /t/1532667/ha-brain-overload-my-wife-is-tired-of-me-talking-about-it#post_24775756

I'd love to know a good source for RA2 locally here in Houston, if it's something you can share. Not trying to leverage up a personal relationship you have or anything, but I'm considering a switch to RA2, and an economic source for hardware would be very helpful (as would an outlet for a boatload of Insteon switches...)

My source wasn't local, but I might be able to recommend one that is. I got my first batch from a forum member selling excess gear. Hank's Electric (Paul hangs out here on the forum) is a good source, and I actually picked up quite a few parts from eBay - especially components in colors other than white. 10-packs of color change kits are about $2/device - and anything other than white seems to sell considerably cheaper on eBay. Talking with several pro's - they like to just order everything in white for new construction / installs. And then walk through at the end and install the final colors.

The other eBay trick is for buying keypads. As long as you get the custom engraving certificate - you can change the button layout and the color when you do the engraving.

(And if anyone needs RA2 color change kits for WHITE or IVORY dimmers/switches - I have a lot of those now, since my primary plate color is Light Almond)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Got a private message from @Dean Roddey on the charmedquark software
Looks like a good offering that I will consider in the future.

Part of the messageQuote:If you go to the web site, then Try/Buy, there is an Information sub-section that answers a lot of those questions. But, to your specific question, the ISY itself is the device. In any cases like an Elk, Omni, ISY, Z-Wave, RA2, etc... where we talk to a controller and it talks to the individual modules, there's only one driver on our side that talks to the controller.

A client is any machine running our touch screen clients or a third party client. Our primary touch screen client is a Windows based one. That one has the most power and flexibility. Any Windows client from XP up will work, though we are dropping XP support in the fourth quarter of this year and moving up to WIndows 7 as the baseline. Same on the server side, any XP (or XP equivalent server version) or higher versions of Windows is fine, but again moving up to W7 or W7 equivalent server versions in the fourth quarter.

We also support iOS and Android through third parties, you can search for CQC on the iTunes store. These are RIVA clients, which is our Remote Intf. Viewer Architecture. They allow you to view the same interfaces you create within CQC on those non-Windows clients, though with some restrictions. There's also a more generate iOS client as well, which isn't customizable, also third party.

We've been around for something like 13 years now, and are about to release 4.5. It's a very mature product. 4.5 is a big step forward as well, particularly in terms of the user interface since we've not finally completed our move to a fully inertial dragging type of interface, so it feels completely modern now. The current officlal version was an intermediate step that only supported 'flick' type moves, not dragging.

There are lots of screen shots on the web site, and on our forum. Here are some shots of some interfaces I'm working on, which are the source material that we are using to auto-generate a set of starter templates for you based on configuration info you provide. But you can do all of this stuff yourself, fully customized. There was zero code written to create these, it's all point and click. They were done using our built in interface editor. It's a full graphical application development environment, fully integrated into the product.

Has some good screen shots:
www.charmedquark.com/Web2/PostImages/4_5Previews/NewAutoGen_Idea28a.png
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/rsxer63/The Rack Series/Denon-2807-FM.jpg
www.charmedquark.com/Web2/PostImages/4_5Previews/NewAutoGen_Idea28d.png

Focus at the moment is initial security and lighting control
Any feed back or options welcome
I used Insteon with an ELK M1 gold, and CQC in my last home... I had everything setup for controlling all the lights, DVD changers, audio etc. I sold the house and have fallen behind on the CQC development, but I am working on a new setup again. This time we have replaced all but a couple of switches in the house with Insteon dimmers. We also have a few dimmer outlet switches for use with our rope lights in the HT. I am going with a multi control option again with our current home. We will have ISY994i, ELK M1 Gold, and CQC. I like using multiple option incase you ever have a failure of one plus it is nice to be able to use the alarm keypads or phones to control everything.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Thanks for the feed back ellisr63.
How did you find the set up of the CQC?
Is there any thing you don't like about the Insteon?
I like it... Originally IVB from the forums built me some templates and came over and set everything up for me. My problem now is that I am starting from scratch again and everything has advanced so much with CQC, so I am running a very simple setup right now... Waiting for the autogen to be completed. I doubt I will go and design all my own templates again like I did in the past. Now I just want to get everything working again and just relax and enjoy it

As far as the Insteon... I really like the ease of use and I have only had a few failures. The failures were the Insteon timers (which have been discontinued), and they took care of them under warranty (Smarthome).

·
Registered
19,570 Posts
The latest beta has the V2 compliant Elk M1 driver, so you should be mostly good to go now with setting up the auto-generation stuff.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The latest beta has the V2 compliant Elk M1 driver, so you should be mostly good to go now with setting up the auto-generation stuff.
Hey Dean was that you on TV show TECH homes (or something like that)?

·
Registered
19,570 Posts
Twern't me, unless I've started some secret talk show club and am unaware that I actually run it. And of course I couldn't talk about it if I had.

BTW, here's a better demo video of the auto-generation system, both in terms of the video itself (which is talkie this time) and it's demonstrating the latest stuff which is a good bit along from that original video on the previous page.)

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloads/Video Tutorials/Version4_6/Tutorials/AutoGen_1.wmv

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Twern't me, unless I've started some secret talk show club and am unaware that I actually run it. And of course I couldn't talk about it if I had.
Sorry Dean, I get confused often

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you looked into control4?

I was pushed away originally by the price, but now I drink the kool aide I have friends with zigby systems that they piece together, and they dont come close.

I think you should do a tour in houses that have different technologies. Yes c4 is pricey but there is a piece of mind that you pay for too...along with the wife factor.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

I was pushed away originally by the price, but now I drink the kool aide I have friends with zigby systems that they piece together, and they dont come close.

I think you should do a tour in houses that have different technologies. Yes c4 is pricey but there is a piece of mind that you pay for too...along with the wife factor.
Mrs SMH is rapidly moving from sceptic to fan as she realizes what this kit does.
Lighting, AV, WHA and a plan to hook a relay to the building door buzzer with a zigbee keyfob to have keyless front door entry that keeps the doors buzzing for 10 seconds while maneuvering stroller through them.
No key - door - foot - bum shuffle!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Thanks for checking in,
No, I never really looked that deep into Control4 due to price, dealers and programming.
What would you say are the major differences in a pieced together zigby system vs. your Control4
Do you do your own installation and programming on your system?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Mrs SMH is rapidly moving from sceptic to fan as she realizes what this kit does.
Lighting, AV, WHA and a plan to hook a relay to the building door buzzer with a zigbee keyfob to have keyless front door entry that keeps the doors buzzing for 10 seconds while maneuvering stroller through them.
No key - door - foot - bum shuffle!
WAF is always a factor at my home. I get a lot of eye rolls :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting thread - thanks for that - I have struggled to find good info so I am happy to have stumbled across this forum and HA threads.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts