AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I research the Samsung TXN3245FP EDTV, the more I get confused. Since I am buying my First HDTV, I really don't want to break the bank, and this is more for DVD/Gaming than anything.

Now, some places say this tv can accept a 480p/480i and 1080p once hacked, while others say it lacks the circuity to display 1080i images. :confused:

Taken form Circuit City's website:

"Editor's Note: Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this television with us and our customers. Your review about the high-definition capability of this TV prompted us to do some research, and we would like to address your comment about changing the display. While the menu can be changed to indicate that it's in HDTV mode, this TV does not include the computer chip or the receiver that will allow it to receive and decode HDTV broadcasts. As a result, the resolution of this TV is limited to 480p, which is perfect for movies on a progressive scan DVD player. We hope this clarifies the capabilities of this TV, and we thank you again for your comments."

Thank you for your review. Your comments prompted us to do further research by contacting Samsung directly. The TXN3245FP is an EDTV, meaning that it is capable of receiving and displaying a 480p signal. Samsung has service menus with a number of adjustments and settings designed for servicing the sets. Chassis and parts are often shared from model to model however the published features list the exact parts included in a given model. Often there is a universal software package in the service menu that would appear to activate a function or functions--assuming the part is included in the set, when in fact it may not be. Selection changes in the software do not equal changes in the hardware if the parts are not present. Making unauthorized changes in a service mode could also compromise the performance of the set. Any changes in the service menus that are not performed by an authorized technician acting on Samsung's behalf would void the warranty.

By CEA definitions an HDTV has a built in tuner/decoder to receive and display an HDTV picture. An HDTV Monitor is capable of taking the signal from an HDTV tuner/decoder and displaying it in High Definition. Most CRT TVs today are HDTV Monitors. HDTV Monitors do require an optional tuner decoder to take advantage of HDTV broadcasts. An HDTV Monitor does require special circuitry to scan 1080i.

We hope this addresses your concerns, and again, we thank you for your comments"

Now I am really really confused.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whatever Circuit City told you is incorrect. The TV can and will display a 1080i signal. I have tested and confirmed that this works on the 27" model and the 32" model. In case you have not figured it out. I JUST tried this tonight, and it works like a champ.

Anyway, here are the steps.

Power off your TV

Now on your remote press these buttons

mute

Now turn your TV back on.

You will see the service menu

Go down to video adjust 3

Scroll down to the bottom of this menu

Look for "no 1080i"

Change this setting from 1 to 0

Hit mute again.

Turn your TV off, and turn it back on. Now you can display a 1080i signal!

If you go to your local Circuit City and show them this little trick, chances are they will not only let you preform this experiment, but you will amaze them in the process.

I suggest you start by asking what the screen will look like with a component HD signal applied to the TV. A good sales person will "show" you. Then ask them if you can show them how to "convert" this TV to HD.

The look is priceless...

late

PRO

·
Registered
14 Posts
You must have a PRETTY new model. The one sitting on the shelf at my Circuit City was manufactured in Aug 03 and the option IS there.

Its just the last option on the list, so its off the bottom of the screen. You can select it, its just hard to tell if you actually have the cursor on it.

My opinion is that the option IS still there, except people are confused when they don't "see" the option.

good luck

PRO

·
Registered
XMC2, XPA5, Veritas 2.4i, 2.2i, SVS PC22-31PCi x 2, LG C1, LG CX, Panasonic VT60
684 Posts
I'm not confused. The newer models have completely re-vamped Service Menus as well as less overscan bounce.

TXN3245FP SERVICE MENU OCT. 2003

DEFLECTION

V amp

V shift

H ew

H shift

V linearity

V sc

H parabola

(corner values)

Bow

Angle

eht time

eht threshold

480 OFFSET

1080i OFFSET

VIDEO ADJUST 1

A trio of "Cutoffs" and "Drives" for R, G and B

SUBs for bright, color, contrast & tint

AKB Option …… 1

BLC Threshold

BLC Gain

BlC Time

Sub Sharpness

VIDEO ADJUST .......... 2

VSU …………2

Melody vol

Hb start

Hb stop

Vm gain ……………. 30

Vm delay ………………..9

Vm coring ………………..15

BLE tilt, gain, mode and break

CTI GAIN ……………….. 0

CTI CORING ………………..0

LTI GAIN ……………0

YC delay …………. 2

PIP YC Ddelay

Band pass F …………1

Hi pass F …………….3

VIDEO ADJUST 3

NR OFF VALUE. …….7

NCE bypass. ……………… 0

Gamma mode and correction

BST startpoint and gain

DPWL startpoint and gain

EHT_FC ……………….1

EHT_HP1 ……………..0

EHT_HP2 ……………..0

V-Mute

SCRO Value ………………1

VIDEO ADJUST 4

VIDEO ADJUST 5

VIDEO ADJUST 4_comp

VIDEO ADJUST 5_comp

(All have a couple values such as “MR2M1â€)

OPTION (a6h cch 07h)

CRT 4:3

PIP ......... off

3D COMB FILTER ..........off

BLUE SCREEN

BBE ........... off

EQUALIZER

AUTO POWER

SYSTEM

VIRTUAL DOLBY ...... off

ACS

V CHIP

SUB WOOFER ......... off

NO SYNC MUTE

X RAY

AGC

TURBO EFFECT

BURST SCREEN

LNA OPTION

EXTRA IMPUT: NONE

(most all set to on or off)

RESET / 03-07-19)

CHECKSUM

G2 ADJUST

(both display info rather than adjust settings)

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Damn that sucks. I wonder why that loop hole existed in the first place? Showing some love to the customer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.