AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! I'm new to this site and it seems overwhelming with information. I checked around and couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. I was hoping someone would be knowledgeable to assist.

I just purchased the UN55B8000 and noticed that when I put a MKV file onto a thumb drive then into the TV it will play the video just fine, however, some of the audio encoded within the file is either MP3, AC3 (which plays just fine) or something else (which doesn't have any sound at all). Other times this is not the case and the majority of the audio encoded is something along the lines of DTS which the TV just does not support.

Does anyone know how to hack the TV to support all popular audio codecs without waiting 2 years for Samsung to come out with a software update to enable this?

Thanks to everyone in advance for helping out.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnathan /forum/post/16905612

Hi everybody! I'm new to this site and it seems overwhelming with information. I checked around and couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. I was hoping someone would be knowledgeable to assist.

I just purchased the UN55B8000 and noticed that when I put a MKV file onto a thumb drive then into the TV it will play the video just fine, however, some of the audio encoded within the file is either MP3, AC3 (which plays just fine) or something else (which doesn't have any sound at all). Other times this is not the case and the majority of the audio encoded is something along the lines of DTS which the TV just does not support.

Does anyone know how to hack the TV to support all popular audio codecs without waiting 2 years for Samsung to come out with a software update to enable this?

Thanks to everyone in advance for helping out.

Every particulate audio and video codecs included in an LCD TV firmware (supported by LCD TV firmware) are licensed, and LCD TV manufacturer has to pay loyalties to codec designers... Some codecs also need particular hardware support to be decoded. So, it is not easy to hack unsupported codecs...

Boky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16909052

Most ppl, if they put that much work into it, may as well attach an honest-to-God HTPC to it, then play all format one wants with googlebytes of storage. Why limit to a silly dongle?

Can you elaborate on what the HTPC is?

Thank you.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnathan /forum/post/16922763

Can you elaborate on what the HTPC is?

Thank you.

A "home theatre PC" - commonly referred to a PC that is optimized for movie and often TV watching in a living room.

This means that it has standard outputs to connect to a TV set, very often a remote control and/or a wireless keyboard (that often has a touchpad or a trackball built in) and is usually optimized for quiet operation.

bye

Benny42

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnathan /forum/post/16905612

Firmware updates *usually* only give you software corrections - not feature upgrades (though I have seen them occasionally).

However, I think that it is safe to say that pretty much any TV manufacturer won't give you feature upgrades after such a long time. They will have advanced by two generations at this point in time and of course will recommend you to buy their new model.

Either the upgrades come in the first six months or they won't come at all.

bye

Benny42

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
there are so many audio and video possibilities that an mkv container could have that there's no way a tv manufacturer will have them all covered. Add dts, Samsung would have to pay them for it, etc on down the line. Like was already stated, connect a properly built and configured pc and you could play anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum.

I just bought a UE40B7020 yesterday. It's similar to the 8000 series, just a lower refresh rate, I think. I also would like to add extra functionality.

On the software side, it's basically an ARM-based Linux box, using the ffmpeg libraries for its codecs.

This is open source code, so that's a good thing, no license/copyright infringement issues here. Since in the firmware upgrade package available for my TV these codec libraries are present, it should be possible to recompile them with a lot more codecs enabled, and subsequently upgrade. Again, I only got the machine yesterday, so for me it's still early days. Haven't checked crc-checks and the likes in the upgrade package yet, need to find a proper toolchain, etc ....

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16909052

Most ppl, if they put that much work into it, may as well attach an honest-to-God HTPC to it, then play all format one wants with googlebytes of storage. Why limit to a silly dongle?

New to the forum - great site. Just got my UN55B8000 on Monday. Picture's great However, I came here to address the same codec sound issues found in this thread. I was pretty disappointed that the UN55B8000 OS does not support what even MS Media player does in terms of playing DVD files. It's also a bummer because my USB 2.0 adapter for my 200 GB laptop sata drive plugs and plays just fine. Who wants to go out any buy more useless and energy consuming HTPC hardware if you don't have to? Looks like I'm gonna have to now, if I want to watch my movies via point and click

Also, pretty lame that the Yahoo widgets don't seem to have a mail widget or web browser...why even have a LAN cable plugged into the thing? Why can't my new mail pop-up on screen - what the heck's the point of logging into Yahoo? How about the ability to install a Terminal Service/RDP thin client...that would be awesome too.... I can't believe I have to plug in a dang cable to get my lap top's image onto the TV screen... Somebody please hack this thing soon.

Will post this stuff in the main UN55B8000 thread, too...

Peace...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.