AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have any chance of hacking a WD 80 gb drive for my ReplayTV using my notebooks PCs running Windows98?

I can access external IDE drives easily from Windows via a firewire/IDE Pyro 1394 Drive Kit. Can probably access two master/slave drives in that configuration as well.

However, I don't have W2K, and the Linux disk doesn't recognize the firewire PC Card so has no clue there are drives out there as near as I can tell. I am good with Windows stuff, but not at all familiar with Linux.

Any suggestions?

Should I give this up and go find some desktop PC to open up?

Has anyone set up their drive using a notebook PC before?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I think it's a bad idea to upgrade a PC to an NT derivative solely so that you can hack your ReplayTV, but it could well be that an NT derivative (either Windows-2000 or XP) would be the only quick way you could get this done from your laptop, short of finding drivers for Linux.

*IF* NT recognizes the drives at all, which means that there is some meaningful driver that allows the PC to recognize the 1394 connection with hard drives on the other end, then the Windows-2000 patch utilities should be able to deal with it with no problem.

The patch utilities use fairly high-level I/O, which is independent of how the drive itself is connected to the PC. In fact, the hack utility could be used to "format" a sufficiently large CompactFlash or MicroDrive card if you really wanted to, although it'd be difficult to interface that to your ReplayTV.

This was in part a help and in part a hinderance when I was debugging a very old version of it, as I was able to test it against some SCSI drives on my system, which I would have not otherwise been able to mount in my ReplayTV (but my PC is a SCSI based system, so that's what I had to debug with).

But as mentioned previously, the method of I/O that the Windows-2000 patch utilities use just doesn't work (isn't available) on Windows-95/98/Me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, good info...now I wondering if there's a way to temporarily replace my mini-notebook IDE drive with an adaptor cable to my 80 gig/RTV drives so I could run the Linux utils directly.

Both drives seem to be IDE drives but the notebook drive has a mini-pin format. If there was some special cable adaptor for it I could dangle the RTV drive and the new drive from the notebook's connector in its drive bay.

I would skip the notebooks power source and use my external drive bay for power to the non-notebook drives. I wonder if such a cable exists.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.