AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reluctant to put a big black cylinder in my room and a little worried that the PC-12 Plus might be a bit too big and boomy for what I'm after.

So I've widened my search. After taking another look at the HSU VTFs, I've ruled them out for their large footprints.

I took a second (or is it third?) look at the smaller Epiks and right now am giving serious thought to the Rythmik F12 and D15. I e-mailed both Rythmik and Ascends Audio early this a.m. with some questions, but haven't hear back -- slow response time compared to SVS and Hsu.

So I thought I'd turn to the AVS community for some input.

Here's my dilemma:

I'm currently using a nearly 10-year-old Cambridge Soundworks P500 8" sealed sub in my mixed-use home theater, which takes up half of a 26' x 16' x 7.5' finished basement with a tile floor. Installed in the corner, the P500 delivers clean, undistorted bass but doesn't pressurize the room adequately to deliver that bass-you-can-feel effect.

I'm not looking to (literally) rock the house, disturb the neighbors, or put on any YouTube-worthy displays of force. I want a sub that can keep up with my Boston VRM-60 mains when I'm listening to jazz, classical and all manner of popular music but still deliver a convincing performance when watching blockbuster Blu-Rays with great lossless soundtracks with a lot of low end stuff.

I want the sub to be delivered the week of Aug. 10, so I need to order very soon.

Here's a picture of my room (in terms of sub placement, I'm thinking front right corner, to the left of the television, or beside the sectional sofa):

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
What is your budget? What kind of footprint are you looking for?

Subs can be a beautiful addition to any room (IMO), if done right. Not to mention some of the nicely done finishes available to us.

The SVS would be an incredible eye sore in that room IMO.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
that is a nice looking room. needs a nice looking sub.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism /forum/post/16923081

What is your budget? What kind of footprint are you looking for?

Subs can be a beautiful addition to any room (IMO), if done right. Not to mention some of the nicely done finishes available to us.

The SVS would be an incredible eye sore in that room IMO.

If an AVS member thinks the SVS is an eye sore, then I hate to think about my wife's reaction (did I mention that I'm buying the sub while she's away?).

In terms of budget, my (not so) short list ranges from the HSU VTF-2 MK3 for around $600 to the SVS PC-13 Ultra for $1400.

Ideally, I'd like to keep this upgrade down around $1000, give or take. No problem spending less, of course.

I like the idea of a downfiring sub in the corner, but not sure what to consider beyond the SVS's and Rythmik D-15.

I think the HSUs are too big -- I can't fit one in that front corner without rearranging furniture.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i'd recommend the sub i have but it's just plain black. it won't really look much better than the PC-12 or compliment the room anymore.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Black isn't a problem if I put it in the corner or upfront to the left of the television. The tv, stand, and speaker stands are all black -- glossy black at that. I'd prefer black to a mismatched wood tone.

My main thing is finding something that's got a reasonable footprint but can still pressurize the room well enough to, for example, bring the surprise attack scene i Master & Commander to life -- you know, bass you can feel in your chest and ruffling the hairs on your arms and neck. Nothing too intense, mind you, but definitely palpable.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcR /forum/post/16923236

Black isn't a problem if I put it in the corner or upfront to the left of the television. The tv, stand, and speaker stands are all black -- glossy black at that. I'd prefer black to a mismatched wood tone.

My main thing is finding something that's got a reasonable footprint but can still pressurize the room well enough to, for example, bring the surprise attack scene i Master & Commander to life -- you know, bass you can feel in your chest and ruffling the hairs on your arms and neck. Nothing too intense, mind you, but definitely palpable.

whats your max size?

i have an Epik Sentinel. it does well in my 2400 cu ft room. it pressurizes it very well on movies. Epik's goal was to get the most 20hz output in the smallest footprint at a decent price. it's about $900 shipped and is 20x14.5x20.

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/portedsentinel.html

i can post an up close picture or two (if you want to see the finish) if you'd like.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb /forum/post/16923256

whats your max size?

i have an Epik Sentinel. it does well in my 2400 cu ft room. it pressurizes it very well on movies. Epik's goal was to get the most 20hz output in the smallest footprint at a decent price. it's about $900 shipped and is 20x14.5x20.

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/portedsentinel.html

i can post an up close picture or two (if you want to see the finish) if you'd like.

Max side depends on where I place it. Front right corner can accommodate maybe 20 inches between the wall and a short bookcase I'd prefer not to move.

To the left of the television, I could come out maybe 24 inches.

24" x 20" is about as big as I'd want to go for a sub that would double as an end table to the left of the big brown sectional. But such a placement, while convenient, is probably not optimal from an audio point of view.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.