AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sort of noticed the Hafler 9505 in my search for all new amps for HT.

This amp has awesome specs with a slew rate and damping factors well beyond pretty much every other amp. Insides look well made - lots of capacitance as well. This is the audiophile Hafler supposively. Hafler claims to be the amp of preference for sound studios. And the _price_ ! .

Does anyone have experience with the 9505 in particular - I am very tempted to buy 3 of these.

Have a gander.

http://www.hafler.com/home/

Craig.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
What about the price? I can't find it mentioned anywhere.

I like older pre-Rockford Haflers. Not much experience with them post-acquisition. I note that they're still using the Trans-Nova output design. BTW, the output, slew rate, and damping factor aren't unusual. There are some nice bits like balanced input, chassis/floating ground switch, and 7 year warranty.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
This brings back memories. I had a Hafler 100 w/ch power amp that I built from a kit back in 1981 (DH-200, I think). It also had a mos-fet output stage, and sounded pretty good as I recall. Had no trouble driving the Acoustat electrostat 2+2's that I added to the system in 1985. I didn't realize they were still selling any similar products (I did know they got bought by Rockford, and that the brand existed in the pro audio world, but i hadn't paid any attention to the actual products they were offering).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a 8-9 year old Hafler 9505. Needed something to handle the 4 ohm load from KEF ref. 1's. I have these going through an Integra 5.4;zone 2 . This is my HT receiver. I had them hooked to Denon mono's but felt I was still missing something. I was right. This amp is fantastic!!. No color, pumps out clean, I have never really heard these speaks until now. The amp does need circ., it runs on the hot side. I paid $405 on ebay.

If you have low eff. speaks, these are about 85db. then I would reccomend the 9505. The 9300 is the same w/o balanced inputs.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ras1s
I just bought a 8-9 year old Hafler 9505. Needed something to handle the 4 ohm load from KEF ref. 1's. I have these going through an Integra 5.4;zone 2 . This is my HT receiver. I had them hooked to Denon mono's but felt I was still missing something. I was right. This amp is fantastic!!. No color, pumps out clean, I have never really heard these speaks until now. The amp does need circ., it runs on the hot side. I paid $405 on ebay.

If you have low eff. speaks, these are about 85db. then I would reccomend the 9505. The 9300 is the same w/o balanced inputs.

Thanks,

Bob
A 9505 Update. The Hafler 9505 has been upgraded and is now available as the Fosgate Audionics 500.2 . The specs are identical or improved and same features including TRUE balanced or unbalanced inputs. The amplifier was designed originally by Jim Strickland with upgrades by he and the Rockford design staff. It is now packaged in an industrial design similar to our FAPT1 pre/processor and 1000.5 amplifier. Pricing is similar to the original 9505 and a limited number are in finished inventory.

I am now using one for my L/R front channels with a 1000.5 driving the sides/surrounds, and an NHT Evolution speaker system. Needless to say I'm biased but extremely pleased.

Charles Wod

Fosgate Audionics

RHG

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Craig, sure get 3 of them, or better yet get 4 for 7.1 They are rock solid state amplifiers. I know they are solid as I used to help assemble them. There are a few commercial theaters using Halfers. Millwood, contact Rockford for more detail on Transnova design. Ask for Chris Parwin.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy
Craig, sure get 3 of them, or better yet get 4 for 7.1 They are rock solid state amplifiers. I know they are solid as I used to help assemble them. There are a few commercial theaters using Halfers. Millwood, contact Rockford for more detail on Transnova design. Ask for Chris Parwin.
Chris Parvin is the VP of Marketing for Rockford Fosgate 12 volt division. Ifr you want details on the Transnova design, ask for Joe Dalhquist or Marc Albers, who worked with Jim Strickland on the designs.

Charles Wood

Fosgate Audionics

RHG

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I mentioned Chris as Rockford Fosgate still employs the identical Transnova circuitry as found in Haflers home amps, but sure you can just contact Rockford engineering for the schematics.

EDIT: The incorporate transnova in their pro (power series) amps only.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thomaspf
I might be missing something but I looked up the specs for the 9505 and here is what the WEB site says.

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
The specs are extremely conservative. Typical production surpass those numbers by a considerable amount.

> I second that one big time. These amps always outperform the numbers on paper.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Charles- Is it class G?

At 50 lbs for a 250W/ch stereo amp, that is still in the ballpark of a class AB design. (Usually class G amps are lighter than their class AB brethren.)

Also, is there a 5 ch equivalent?

Where are they made?

I remember reading about Hafler amps in Audio and Stereo Review a while ago. They were always very well regarded. Really good value for the money too.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown

Where are they made?

In 1995, I know Hafler amps were hand made in Tempe, AZ. They may still be made there.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown
Charles- Is it class G?

At 50 lbs for a 250W/ch stereo amp, that is still in the ballpark of a class AB design. (Usually class G amps are lighter than their class AB brethren.)

Also, is there a 5 ch equivalent?

Where are they made?

I remember reading about Hafler amps in Audio and Stereo Review a while ago. They were always very well regarded. Really good value for the money too.
This unit looks like it has a lot of heavy gauge metal and of course many heatsinks. Other class G amps typically use thinner metal and fans with smaller heatsinks to reduce weight, so this doesn't appear heavy in comparison. The power consumption information is given at 1/8 power and max power, this would be indicative of a class G style, since the lower voltage rail is typically around 1/8 of max power.

I would believe that there are a lot of good products out there, it's just not many people will know about them since the companies that really advertise are not always the ones making the good products.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
OK, in post 6 CW mentioned the 1000.5 as the 5 channel version.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The Hafler 9505/FA 500.2 uses a conventional power supply with a very high current torroidal transformer, fast recovery rectifier, and approximately 100,000 mfd of storage capacitance. The output stage is a FET design, the input is a bifet stage and the intermediate stage is bipolar.

The 1000.5 version uses a Class G power supply with similar circuit toplogy for the amplifier section. The 1000.5 can be configured with 200 watt mono modules or 2x100 modules, allowing mixing of modules in five slot locations. As an example, you can configure three 200 watt modules for the LCR front channels and two 100x2 modules for the side and surround channels, making it applicable for 7.1 applications. Another approach would be to use five 2x100 modules, for a total of ten channels, allowing power for a main 6.1 HT room and two stereo zones at other locations in the home. Or a more sophisticated "audiophile" system could be configured with a 500.2 (L/R channels) and 1000.5 (CF, side, surround channels).

Charles Wood

Fosgate Audionics

RHG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.