Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys!

When doing some research on pricing as well as promotions to use when purchasing my new TV, I noticed a significant number of users on this board got their televisions from Tweeter. Also soon after, I found that hardly any of us paid the same price!

Because of the widespread purchasing from Tweeter by patrons of this forum and also due to the wide variety of success when attempting to haggle for Pricematches, bundles and free deliveries. I think it would be very helpful to everyone in the market to make upcoming purchases to have access to a list haggling success or failures by other users. I for one am interested in the Samsung DLP HLN****(not sure about what size yet), and I would like to hear from everyone who bought such a unit with details such as:
  • Model number of TV
  • items bundled free or at a discount with TV
  • location of Purchase (Baltimore, MD)
  • Were you able to negotiate?
  • Why you were successful? a failure? (recommendations)

This is not meant to be a thread by which we solicit marketing promos. However it is meant to list ways to be successful when dealing with retailers in purchasing the best HT equipment for our money. Also any other advice for contructing a helpful resource such as this would be greatly appreciated. I hope this information will be as useful to others as I hope it will be to me.

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

please make sure all replies to this thread abide by the rules set forth by the avsform admins

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I apologize for my violation of the forum rules, hopefully this thread is now in accordance with AVSforum policies.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'll bite.

* HLN467W

* SAMSUNG SIR-T151 was as discounted as you can get.

* Costa Mesa, CA

* Yes

* The asst manager wanted to sell a TV. I told him what I wanted to pay, and he said sure. The entire transaction was completed over the phone in about 15 minutes. I guess the work involved for him was still worth the negotiated price/commission.

·
Registered
916 Posts
* Model number of TV HLN617
* items bundled free or at a discount with TV Discounted extended warranty, discounted TV stand
* location of Purchase Chino, CA.
* Were you able to negotiate? Yes
* Why you were successful? a failure? Presented evidence of a retailer willing to sell at a certain price, and they came as close to that price as they felt comfortable. Did it all over the phone.

Rick

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I purchased a Toshiba 57HLX82 at Tweeters at a significant price break simply via a price-matching policy with an on-line, but authorized, Toshiba retailer. As a part of that "deal matching" I also snagged a 3-year extended warranty.

The net net here is that the best approach is to shop around and go in with an understanding of what you could get the set for elsewhere. They will match with authorized dealers automatically. Regular internet retailers are another problem, and I wouldn't necessarily expect them to match with them. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Regarding BTDT's statement:

"I purchased a Toshiba 57HLX82 at Tweeters at a significant price break simply via a price-matching policy with an on-line, but authorized, Toshiba retailer. As a part of that "deal matching" I also snagged a 3-year extended warranty."

Does this mean I can take a Circuit City web price for the HLN617W to a Tweeeters store and successfully negotiate a better price?

Thanks

Bruce

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
It might mean that, especially given that Circuit City can give you the same B&M support that Tweeter would. In my case it was a more obscure web vendor that also has a B&M presence elsewhere, but since Toshiba had them on their "authorized dealers" list it counted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does this mean I can take a Circuit City web price for the HLN617W to a Tweeeters store and successfully negotiate a better price?

That's similar to what my wife and I did for my HLN507W. The local CC was having an unadvertised mid-week sale that we stumbled on--lowest B&M price I'd seen for the set. It was actually significantly lower than the CC web price.

We'd been in the Tweeter the day before looking at the sets and got the salesguy's card then. When we returned, we asked for and waited for the same sales guy, then told him about the CC price--he matched it with no problem. He didn't ask for proof, but it shouldn't have been an issue as I'd happily have driven him down the street to the CC to see for himself:)

We also got 15% off of a couple Bell'o audio racks, but paid full price for the 5yr TV warranty (which was still much lower than CCs).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Be aware that Tweeter's Extended Warranty doesn't include bulbs. That can make a big difference especially with the bulb problems the Sony LCDs have exhibited.

Notes from another post on my negotiation with Tweeter:

"It is possible to negotiate on the LCD/DLPs, even when they're back-ordered. I put in an order at Tweeter (TV was back-orderd with 17 orders in front of me), with a salesperson that I previously had purchased from, for the Sony 50' LCD after getting a price from ABT here in Chicago that was 10% off list (Tweeter matched). ABT, with the product in stock, then came back and offered me another 5% off, with some prompting and reduced the matching TV stand by over 40%, offered a 4year warranty for $350 (including bulbs) and component cables. There also was no delivery fee and assembly of the TV stand was included. Tweeter matched the offer but couldn't tell me when the TV would be available. I'm getting the TV on Saturday!!!!

The key is to let them know you're ready to buy and/or an order has been placed with a competitor. They love to pull the rug out from under a direct competitor. As stated previously, know exactly what you need and what the going rates include. I was very friendly and open through the whole process and regretted having to cancel the order with Tweeter. He agreed this was a better offer and wished me luck. Now that bulb problem had better be fixed...."

Good luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
In fact, the Tweeter Service Plan (not an extended warranty) does include one bulb replacement. In addition, they will clean the set's innards once per year (I'm not sure if I like that idea yet). And, if during the term of the contract the set breaks and cannot be repaired, you get a new set. If it happens to be a couple years later, that new set is whatever the current model is.

I was able to get a decent price match at Tweeter by bringing in someone else's receipt. Altogether, I got a 50" GWIII for about 20% off. In addition, they threw in free delivery and reduced the 5 year service plan price to $300. I had no problems getting this.

What I did have a problem with was when I tried to get another 10% off. I pointed out that Sears would match the Tweeter price, and because they were having a card-holders' 10% sale, drop it by another 10%. The Tweeter manager said he couldn't play that game, but would be more than happy to take my set back and refund the purchase price. I decided to stick with the set I had, rather than wait for another (15 days out) from Sears. And I'm glad I did.

·
2,432 Posts
I understand that EW's are a hot topic, but please lets not discus it in this thread. Lets stay on topic.

Model number of TV 55PL977S

items bundled free or at a discount with TV delivery, swivel base, Sammy SIR - T151 Tuner all free

location of Purchase (Baltimore, MD) Phila, Pa

Were you able to negotiate? Yes, over $800 off if you include the value of the tuner/delivery and no tax (Delaware is a stones throw away)

Why you were successful? a failure? (recommendations) I made reasonable offer on the set and worked some of the other items in as he was creating the sales order. All with platinum card in hand. Actually got 15 months at no interest too Don't go in with a chip on your shoulder or try to beat them up. If you are looking a hot item you may not get a lot off. Their service was and still is excellent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.