AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I read the more difficult my decision seems to get on which lighting to go with?

I'm looking to put in an HAI system since I like the increased flexibility to make changes and add ons, that the Crestron Prodigy does not allow without going through the installer for even minor things.

My installer has been pushing for me to put in Crestron Prodigy - stating its more advanced and reliable lighting with Zigbee.

Im just finishing 3500 sf remodel and structured wiring has audio / coax / cat5 / and wires to every light switch / wiring for control panels / wiring for motion and cameras.

I will have ~ 46 dimming loads (low volt MR16, low volt xenon mini tracts, line par20, etc), ~ 8 slaves, and 16 non dimming and relays.

My installer said HAI doesn't support Zigbee, but now I see it supports Centralite Jetstream (Zigbee)?

Would this be recommended over HAI UPB?

I have wires to each light (originally for ACL), but now I understand Genesis 13 Lighting is the only hard wired lighting, and their light switches are now a lot more expensive than the HAI UPB or the Jetstream. ( and told concerns that the ACL product line may be dropped?)

Which is the better application? Other systems I should look at?

If this should add to the decision process- for the best lighting system for my situation - here is my System preferences:

Would like to incorporate ipad / iphone / RF / Mac, as the main control options. (instead of elaborate wall panels)

Iphone and remote computer access - (security system call me if breach and able to view cameras.) ( And some limited manipulations of the system, turn on /off lights, alarm system, etc.)

Audio sources: itunes / pandora / internet radio mostly, but (also CD/DVD, FIOS music). Distribution Russound CAM6

Video sources: Fios / Apple tv / Netlfix / Blue-ray / cameras

My skill levels:

- Mechanically I can figure out just about anything, with instructions / reading up on something.

- I'm decent figuring things out on a computer, but I do not have any programing background

Thanks

Patrick

·
Registered
30 Posts
First off why the HR10-250 still? Those are OLD and probably going to go out soon so I would upgrade and pay for programming ONCE, or at least do it once.

I would stick with HAI, sometimes simple is the best way to go. Also powerline communication is very reliable, and HAI does do some zigbee.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Not sure what the "HR10-250" is?

It sounding like UPB may be the way to go, (even though I'm wired for ACL), due to its improved reliability, and its significant less expensive per light switch cost ....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts