AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently having a new home built and am already well over budget. I would like to do a little automation of my heating and air and have been looking at the HAI omnistat2 thermostats. My H&A has 7 zones so I would need 7 thermostats and I would like to be able to control them from a single location as well as from the separate thermostats.

Right now you can get the Hai Promo3energy Energy Management Kit for a great price which includes: Lumina Pro Controller

# Dealer PC Access

# Lumina Mode Switch

# OmniTouch 5.7

# HLC Load Control Module

# Omnistat2(2-RC2000)

Then I would also have to purchase 5 more Omnistat2s. I wanted to keep my total cost under $4k and this is well under.

My heat and air guy could hook up the thermostats. The OmniTouch just requires a Cat 5 cable so I think I could do that one. I have no training in home automation but I'm pretty good at following directions.

Would I likely be getting in over my head getting this to work correctly or is it fairly staightforward. I'm mostly concerned about the software and setting everything up. Again I'm initially only planning to use this to control my heat and air systems. The company I'm using for my alarm system, phone, network cable etc quoted me a bit over $8K for a Lumina Pro panel and 7 Omnistats which would be tied in to my computer(No touchscreen).

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
One consideration would be to cable for everything now, but use generic thermostats to start. Then, buy the HAI thermostats and control package in a few years when you can afford it, after you've researched it more. If you're over budget, you should cut back.

Is the alarm HAI or DSC? How easy is it to integrate the Lumina Pro controller, with the alarm panel? Will you be able to do that, yourself? I don't know ANYTHING about how it's done, but it would be a concern for me. It's something that you should research more before deciding to do it yourself.

You could tell the LV guy to wire for the Lumina Pro package now, but you'll call him back in a couple years when you can better afford the setup. I'm not sure how much wiring is really required for this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The quote from your dealer isn't that outrageous at first glance. One must consider the labor and programming required to complete the system to your standards. Generally there is a mark up on the hardware from the dealer which covers warranty, etc. I would ask your dealer to explain his quote and justify his pricing. Most are happy to explain their position.

There are many things to consider beyond the hardware cost. For example, there is going to be some network labor involved to enable accessability remotely or on the LAN. This type of labor has been accounted for by the dealer and is figured into your quote.

Regarding DIY, it isn't impossible. There are many forums to help you. Cocoontech.com is generally accepted among the DIY community for help on DIY projects like this if you choose to take that route.

In the end, way your options after finding out how in depth the install actually is. The dealer who quoted you can enlighten you on the peripheral install work that has to be done to accomplish your goals. Then, one can make the decision to buck the norm and go rogue!

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I very well may just install standard thermostats now. The alarm system is Honeywell but I really don't care too much if the system integrates with the alarm. I mainly would like to be able to control my house temps from a computer or the touchscreen. Also I thought it might be a fun project if not too difficult.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Talk to your alarm guy about using an HAI alarm, in place of the Honeywell. You wouldn't need to purchase the Lumina Pro controller, if you had an HAI alarm, to accomplish what you want. The HAI panel would do it natively. Specifically, the HAI OmniPro II would be the ideal alarm controller, for your needs. It provides the alarm, as well as a variety of options for home automation, thermostat control being one of them. Lighting control is another.

Cabling for the HAI OPII alarm would be the same (or similar) to cabling for the Honeywell, as far as door and window contacts go. I don't know how the Honeywell keypads are wired, though. Talk it over with your installer. He'd likely be game for the installation, even if he's never installed an HAI panel before.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Alarm installer has already prewired everything for the Honeywell system, I don't know if that makes any difference. He said I would have to use the Lumina Pro panel because of the number of thermostats(zones). He has installed HAI panels many times but he uses the Honeywell Alarm systems which he says integrates well with HAI.

I will talk to him tomorrow and ask about using an OmniPro II for alarm and thermostat control. His company also does alarm monitoring and maybe it has to be Honeywell, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You should wothout a doubt use HAI security if you are going with HAI thermostats. They can be monitored by anyone.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
He might have some monetary incentive to move the Honeywell panels, just a hunch.

He'll probably install the OPII for the right price.

But this brings up the problem of you screwing around with his alarm install, which he obviously doesn't want. You need to discuss this, setting up boundaries up front.

The OPII has parameters that can be set by the installer, and by the end-user. If you want to set up and forget it, the end-user/consumer-controlled parameters will be just fine, and you'll (likely) never have to call the installer to come fix something you screwed up.

Maybe the installer, though, does have some issue with installing the OPII instead of the Honeywell. Share it here, if you understand what he says.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I asked my alarm guy about using an OP2 for security and thermostats. He said he has prewired already for the Honeywell panel and that he could have done an OP2 if I had told him I wanted it from the beginning.

I also learned that he is consulting with someone on the HAI equipment, which means he is paying someone else to help him work things out. He probably has never installed an OP2 and is comfortable with the Honeywell.

Anyway he is going to prewire for the Lumina Pro and the OmniStat 2 thermostats and I'll decide later if I think I really need it.($1400 for the prewire)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Randall,

Stop the train before it runs off the tracks. Prewire for a Honeywell is no different than prewiring for an HAI system.

If you go in later with a Lumina, you're going to have less functionality, higher cost, and a lot more clutter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts