AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
338 Posts
I've some interest in the MC-30 3-channel amp to drive my fronts and center but there doesn't appear to be many folks here that have Halcro. It also looks like within the next year or two there will be a good many d-class amps with improved noise cancellation and sound quality in the a-class range at more consumer friendly prices so time will tell.

Brian

· Registered
27,728 Posts
I own a Halcro SSP-100. I upgraded to it from a Lexicon MC-12B (and a Meridian 565 previously).

Sonically, it is the best I have ever heard in my theater (and I did have a Theta CBII for a trial periond).

It is a fantastic piece but not nearly as polished and full featured as the Lexicon. Ergonomically it is average at best. IT has a scaler inside but I bypass it. It is not the best. That said, once calibrated it is solid and stable. It gives a far more dramatic soundstage and better surround ambiance than anything I have owned or heard. My LExicon, at high levels, always had a hard edge to it. The Halcro is smooth as silk.

It is not nearly as polished, but I am going to keep it. THe sonics are the best available in my opinion and I could've bought anything. I put up with the lack of features as the sound is so smooth and dynamic.

It currently will not do LPCM over HDMI. However, at CES they confirmed it is to be released in the next 1-2 months as it is on final testing. I have a theater that really required the best I could find in surround processing and I made a great choice in Halcro.

They have great customer service as well.

I like it but am really awaiting the LPCM upgrade.

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/0

I own a Halcro SSP-100. I upgraded to it from a Lexicon MC-12B (and a Meridian 565 previously).

Sonically, it is the best I have ever heard in my theater (and I did have a Theta CBII for a trial periond).

It is a fantastic piece but not nearly as polished and full featured as the Lexicon. Ergonomically it is average at best. IT has a scaler inside but I bypass it. It is not the best. That said, once calibrated it is solid and stable. It gives a far more dramatic soundstage and better surround ambiance than anything I have owned or heard. My LExicon, at high levels, always had a hard edge to it. The Halcro is smooth as silk.

It is not nearly as polished, but I am going to keep it. THe sonics are the best available in my opinion and I could've bought anything. I put up with the lack of features as the sound is so smooth and dynamic.

It currently will not do LPCM over HDMI. However, at CES they confirmed it is to be released in the next 1-2 months as it is on final testing. I have a theater that really required the best I could find in surround processing and I made a great choice in Halcro.

They have great customer service as well.

I like it but am really awaiting the LPCM upgrade.

Jeff,

As usual you don't disappoint! Thanks very much for the mini review. I'm aware of your gear (which is most excellent) and value your comments. If I go with Halcro I'll likely wait for the LPCM, like you I really want that in my setup. I'm also considering the Krell gear (Evolution 707 and appropriate amps).

Regards,

Jim

(Like that wine as well, BTW)

· Registered
27,728 Posts
Thanks Jim.

Agreed. When LPCM is here, I'll let you know but I certainly wouldn'y buy until it is being manufactured. You'll be really, really pleased with the sound.

A Krell / Halcro comination looks to be a recipe for nirvana.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.