AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know 1) how to check the firmware version on the SSP100, and 2) what the latest firmware revision is? I just want to make sure my unit is up to date.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You have to hold the power button in to find the software version. I think it's in the manual how to do this.

Also, this came from Halcro about a month ago from Paddy, a senior tech/developer from Halcro.

"The current SW revision is either 7.06 or 0.26. I have another release which will improve the connectivity with the latest 1080p displays."

The PCM upgrade is due in July.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mozvz, thanks for the info. My SSP-100 shows version 7.03, which might explain some of the HDMI issues I'm having. Is the firmware user upgradeable?

Anyone out there have the latest firmware on disk that they can send over?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I do think the user can upgrade the processor using a memory stick that generally comes from your dealer or from Halcro. I was fortunate that the box came with the latest build. Also, it's an SSP80 and not your 100 series.

Charles

·
Registered
637 Posts
I called tech support and asked these questions, and got incredibly frustrating answers.

1) They will not tell you what the current version is, and what has been fixed in the updates.

2) They want you to tell them what your units issues are, then they tell you weather you will benefit from a firmware update.

3) I asked why they don't post the latest on thier site so users can update thier firmware. I figured it would prevent a lot of calls to them for Tech Support. They said too many users screwed up their firmaware upgrade, and that they probably won't allow users to do them any more.

4) I told the support person that the only way to screw up MOST firmaware upgrades is to interupt it in mid process. He simply replied too many were being screwed up.

5) I had my unit by Halcro. They ended up doing a firmware upgrade. They screwed up the upgrade and had to replace the Eprom. Maybe thier firmware upgrade process is poorly written?

6) When I got my unit back, they told me I have the latest firmware version. It is version 7.07

WARNING: With this version, if you press the 7.1 key, HDMI Video output is stopped.

Think about it... If you are connect with HDMI video, how do you listen to a 5.1 DVD-A or SACD? SACD isn't so bad as there isn't much screen navigation, but navigating a DVD-A with the video off is inconvienient.

7) I didn't speak with Paddy, maybe I should next time. Maybe he doesn't conceal firmware information in a Shroud of Secrecy. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness /forum/post/0

Mozvz, thanks for the info. My SSP-100 shows version 7.03, which might explain some of the HDMI issues I'm having. Is the firmware user upgradeable?

Anyone out there have the latest firmware on disk that they can send over?

·
Registered
637 Posts
HDMI Audio Upgrade:

I was told that the USA person who will be doing the upgrades is leaving tomorrow to get training on how to do them. He will be gone for two weeks.

When I asked if the upgrades would start in June, I got a non-answer (like when you ask about firmware). Who knows when they will recieve the required boards here in the US, but the fact they are sending someone out for training is a good sign that upgrades should start soon (1-2 months).

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics /forum/post/0

7) I didn't speak with Paddy, maybe I should next time. Maybe he doesn't conceal firmware information in a Shroud of Secrecy. lol

Good Sonics,

I did not speak with Paddy personally, but my initial request for information on the latest software version was sent to Halcro's tech support email address.

That individual passed me on to Paddy who responded with those firmware version release numbers. The version number you have installed may be what he was referring to when Paddy wrote "I have another release which will improve the connectivity with the latest 1080p displays."

However, it sounds like if this is the unnamed version he mentions in the quote above, it's obviously created another issue.

Charles

·
Registered
637 Posts
Jim,

I can't speak for others, but the dealer I bought my Halcro from has since loosened it's affiliation with Halcro. When I had issues, they referred me to Halcro Technical support.

Sometimes dealers don't know much more than you and I. Lots of dealers run the equipment in a "standard" setup and don't know the nuances of different configurations.

But, when you do a have a knowledgable local dealer that would be the preferred option. I do have this kind of dealer for my B&W gear, and the support is terrific.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics /forum/post/0

Jim,

I can't speak for others, but the dealer I bought my Halcro from has since loosened it's affiliation with Halcro. When I had issues, they referred me to Halcro Technical support.

Sometimes dealers don't know much more than you and I. Lots of dealers run the equipment in a "standard" setup and don't know the nuances of different configurations.

But, when you do a have a knowledgable local dealer that would be the preferred option. I do have this kind of dealer for my B&W gear, and the support is terrific.

Yeah, its unfortunate but true that dealers come and go and some that stay can sell it, but cannot properly service the client. The nature of this biz I guess.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts