AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who did not understand the ending to Half Life 2?

Anyone care to explain?

Awesome game with a pretty crappy ending (for now) IMO.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Ziggy gives the G-man aka Al an assignment. Freeman, aka Sam, then has to complete it before he can leap again.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
G-Man had to go back to his home planet. If you wait until the end of the credits it explains how G-Man was killed on the way back. :(

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanman
Here is a link that might help to understand the Halflife Story better.

Half Life Story Guide

Thanks for the link, it was very helpful.

And thanks to everyone else for the responses.

Has anyone played Half Life 1 Source?

Now I am very tempted to buy it.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
HL1:Source isn't much different from the original. You'd probably be better off picking up a $5 copy of the original unless the Source version is $10 or so. You can add high res graphics packs to the original to give it a better look (the Source version uses the standard texture, not high res versions or anything new).

Side by side, you probably wont be able to tell differences in the game immediately. They just aren't that different.

Still, it's a fun game, and I went through it and finally finished it after I got done with HL2.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank
HL1:Source isn't much different from the original. You'd probably be better off picking up a $5 copy of the original unless the Source version is $10 or so. You can add high res graphics packs to the original to give it a better look (the Source version uses the standard texture, not high res versions or anything new).

Side by side, you probably wont be able to tell differences in the game immediately. They just aren't that different.

Still, it's a fun game, and I went through it and finally finished it after I got done with HL2.

Amazing, and thanks for the tip.

I wonder why they would bother re-releasing the game ...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
They did upgrade some of the effects in the source version of HL1, for instance the water textures are much improved. The game also seems to run better on my system than the old quake based version, and it'll do widescreen ootb which is nice.

Maybe that's another reason the re-relased it, is it possible Valve makes more money on HL Source sales since the quake engine is no longer used (i.e. no royalties?)?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher
They did upgrade some of the effects in the source version of HL1, for instance the water textures are much improved. The game also seems to run better on my system than the old quake based version, and it'll do widescreen ootb which is nice.

Maybe that's another reason the re-relased it, is it possible Valve makes more money on HL Source sales since the quake engine is no longer used (i.e. no royalties?)?
My understanding was that the source engine was a highly modified quake 4 (or was it 3?) engine.

Also I have only play HL:Source, and it doesn't look that great, good, but not great.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The original Half Life was based on a modified version of the Quake engine

Quote:
It is based on Quake engine with many enhancements by Valve's programmers. Changes include things like 16bit color, colored lightning, translucency, MMX support and much more detailed environments.
LINK

But as far as I know Valve designed Source from the ground up (they are licensing it). The problem with HL Source is that they just dropped all of the same old game assets into the new engine, so unfotunately there isn't any real visual improvement.

I have heard that some modders are working on a remake of HL1 with new textures etc. but I don't expect that to show up any time soon :)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
When I get to that section when I replay the game I just quit. Wasn't too happy when I finished it the first time, but the replay value is good for me so now I forgive that ending, and the add-on is coming sometime before the end of the year (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher
But as far as I know Valve designed Source from the ground up (they are licensing it). The problem with HL Source is that they just dropped all of the same old game assets into the new engine, so unfotunately there isn't any real visual improvement.
I read on a few different sites that source was still based on a quake engine, oddly enough, I can't find siad sites anymore. That being said, I've never played Half-Life before, and it's scared the $hit of out me a couple times already.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much are they asking for Half Life:Source? I think they wanted like $30 last I saw. am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
They redid HL1 to sweeten the deal for HL2 when it was released (I personally think at least). I had beaten HL1 way back when and went back through again after beating 2. It was totally worth it and still quite enjoyable.

-Trouble

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
both endings to HL and HL2 left you wanting more. but atleast HL2 didnt screw you over like Halo 2 and have massive story lines hanging.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Agreed Rage. And what's probably worse is they held back on levels they probably already had made. At least though HL2 had an actual ending but with a continuation.

Halo 2 didn't have even an exciting cliffhanger or anything of the sort.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.