AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play a lot of FPS (along with many other games) and though other games are fast paced (CoD4), others have a lot of jumping around/bobbing (Halo3), some have lots of panning around (RTS's), but none of them make me feel this way. Within a hour or so I just get fatigued, headaches, and a dull sensation of motion sickness (kind of like the feeling after the Tea cup rides at amusement parks).The sensation then ligers for a few hour. I do not think this happens with Team Fortress (I am going to try again) but Half life2 does, and to a lesser extent Portal (I have not played episode 1 or 2 yet). The other interesting thing is that when I played the original Half Life on PC the exact same thing happened, and I just quit playing (never finished the story), and was turned of FPS for years because of this (assuming it was all FPS that does this (I used to get this way with the original Doom as well so I am woundering if it is the Doom engine that I am sensitive to (I think Half Life uses the Doom engine).

I wonder if it has something to do with the frame rates (kind of like when people used to get headaches with tube lights because of the frquency of flashing), or perhaps something about the backgrounds/colors/brightness etc. I have turned the sensitivity down which helps a little, simlarly I am playing on a smaller screen (not nuch of a difference). I am going to perservier a little, to see if I get used to it, but I have tried many times on different days, and end up quiting the game.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

·
Registered
378 Posts
If I purposely spin the view while mashing my face against the screen I get it. A tiny bit. Some people are more prone to that type of motion sickness than others. If you think it's a refresh issue you may want to go with an LCD (if you haven't already) or crank up the refresh as high as you can get it at your preferred resolution.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Orange box is the first and only game I have ever played that got me nauseous. I think the combo of playing for 2+ hours non stop on a 61 inch screen is what did it for me.

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
strangely enough, this happened to me as well

·
Registered
814 Posts
take some dramamine with some lemon soda and keep playing

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_S /forum/post/14185401

There was a thread discussing this a while back:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=998952

Some interesting solutions included backlighting of your display, smoking weed or taking motion sickness medicine. There was a bit of discussion about the causes of this and some research done in years past. In my post to that thread, I linked to an article about this:

http://www.loonygames.com/content/1.2/feat/

Regardless, you're not alone...

Thanks for the links, I suppose I should have used the search function, but for some reason I thought I was unique. Anyways, its good to know that I am not alone, and it seems that many people are sensative to 'Doom engine' games (Quake, Half life) which is interesting. I will try some of the suggestions (including the meclizine). If not, there are many other games to play.........

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I get motion sick on boats, in cars, and on roller coasters but I have spent LOTS of hours playing HL2 and all its expansions on PC and 360, no problems whatsoever...

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng /forum/post/14185693

Thanks for the links, I suppose I should have used the search function, but for some reason I thought I was unique. Anyways, its good to know that I am not alone, and it seems that many people are sensative to 'Doom engine' games (Quake, Half life) which is interesting. I will try some of the suggestions (including the meclizine). If not, there are many other games to play.........

Halflife 2 isn't the Doom engine, it's its own engine (Source), which in my opinion is far superior.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
He was talking about Half-Life 1, which used a heavily modified Quake engine (Which from my understanding was written from scratch for that title, and not just a revised Doom engine).

·
Registered
461 Posts
The only nausea that I've experienced in this game so far is because I can't kill that last walker thing in the courtyard. I'm at the point in the game where you first encounter the tall spindly looking walkers (there are several) and there are rocket launchers placed at different points around this courtyard. The thing is there is one walker left and I can't find any more rocket launchers. Does anyone have a map that shows the locations of all the rocket launchers in this area?

Steve

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68 /forum/post/14205864

The only nausea that I've experienced in this game so far is because I can't kill that last walker thing in the courtyard. I'm at the point in the game where you first encounter the tall spindly looking walkers (there are several) and there are rocket launchers placed at different points around this courtyard. The thing is there is one walker left and I can't find any more rocket launchers. Does anyone have a map that shows the locations of all the rocket launchers in this area?

Steve

I'm stuck at that part, too. I'm holed up in a concrete structure with no rockets, one last walker, and tons of the small drones with blades.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
deveng - I, too, am having issues playing HL2.

I recently put it back into the tray because I never finished. I was too wrapped up in H3 and CoD4 when it was released.

Anyway...I friggin' love the game but it's the only game I have ever played that has given me motion sickness.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I feel like sometimes it has to do with the field-of-vision. I have played only one game that has given me nausea, and that was F.E.A.R. It was a beautiful and creepy game, but I could only make it through 30-45 minutes. I think it had something to do with the fact that the field-of-vision isn't a good match for natural human FOV.

Humans have a bit less than 180 degres of FOV, but concentrate on about half of that. If the object/image you're veiwing represents a significant departure from this, then your brain will detect an inconsistancy that it constantly has to process, thus creating nausea.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaleris /forum/post/14206910

I feel like sometimes it has to do with the field-of-vision. I have played only one game that has given me nausea, and that was F.E.A.R. It was a beautiful and creepy game, but I could only make it through 30-45 minutes. I think it had something to do with the fact that the field-of-vision isn't a good match for natural human FOV.

Humans have a bit less than 180 degres of FOV, but concentrate on about half of that. If the object/image you're veiwing represents a significant departure from this, then your brain will detect an inconsistancy that it constantly has to process, thus creating nausea.

It does. HL2 has a 75 degree FOV. Most games are 90 degrees. Like I said above.
You can change it on the PC version but I don't know if you can on the 360 version.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus /forum/post/14208180

The mini-walkers are easily handled by the little car you get. Or are we talking about another area?

I believe they were talking about HL2, Not Ep 2

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have to raise my hand as well. I have played more fps's then i should have but half life 2 is the only one to make me feel sick like after an hour. I couldnt finish either. Actually come to think of it dukenuke em 3d used to make my head hurt horribly and put me to sleep for a few hours lol. But I play on a 65 inch screen and nothing has done that to me. Half life did it to me on like a 32 lol.

·
Registered
803 Posts
HL2 also has a very floaty movement that might upset folks.

As for the walkers, if you are talking about where you have to kill 4 of them in the courtyard with the bunker in the middle, along one wall is a crate with unlimited rockets. I'm still stuck there though, WALKERS SUCK!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts