AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my receiver(Sony Str-da4es) and my 2 fronts(NHT SB-2's) came in today. I really want to set them up tonight, and had a few questions. I won't be able to order the sub, center, and 2 rears for a month or so(thanks wife). So I need some sort of make-shift setup so I can at least have better sound than just my dumb tv speakers.

What I need to know is....should I set the front speakers to small and drop the crossover at 80Hz? Or can I go a bit lower(they are rated at 51Hz-22KHz) without causing any damage? Which surround sound mode should I use on the Receiver, and on the DVD movie. What mode should I use when only listening to CDs(Pro-Logic2 Im guessing)? Does anyone with the DA-4ES know how to use the virtual switch to make it have a virtual center?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You can run them full range (large), as long as you don't turn up bass heavy music or movies.

Since you have no center or rears, just use 2 channel (stereo) mode for movies. You could use Dolby Digital and tell your receiver to use a phantom center, but you still have no surrounds so any sound going to them would be lost.

Also, for CDs you should always use stereo or 'direct' (if you have it) mode. PLII is to turn the music into 'surround sound' music. Since you don't have a center or rears, it wouldn't work very well. Once you get your other speakers, you will have to see if you like CDs in surround mode or just plain old 2 channel mode.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Those SB2's should probably be set with about a 60hz crossover when you get your other speakers and sub but for now, follow Kendrid's advice and just run them large in the stereo mode. What other speakers are you planing on getting?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The center channel is still up for debate. I am thinking of the matching SC-1 center by NHT, but they just came out with(20 days ago) a SC-2 which has 5.25" woofers instead of 4.5", or I might see how the SB-2 can fit in my setup and just use another SB-2 for the center as well, per recommendation of hwc to keep everythin the same.

The surrounds will be SB-2s as well. If I decide to use an SB-2 as my center, I will just order a pair and use the 6th speaker as the 6th channel of my rear. So essentially 3 pairs of SB-2s.

For my sub I am going with the SVS 20-39PCi. Would love to get the PC+ but the wife is pretty set on the budget. So, all in all, it will be a great, great step up from my stupid TV speakers and I hope that I really enjoy it :)

I am excited :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You will love that sub... (not to make you any more anxious :) )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.