AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a demo to a shop to view the infocus LP340 tonight and have a few questions? There was a white hallow around the screen, is that normal? The guy at the store said it was because my dvd, gladiator was in HiDef and I said no its just widescreen. Second does anyone have any problems with the heat that is produced? I plan on enclosing the projector but leave enough room for air to get around. Third what is the best type of screen to use with these, he had it on a wall and said it works best on it? Tend to disagree but I thought I would ask you guys.

· Registered
6,227 Posts
Halo is something that is common with digital projectors and can be helped make less noticeable if you have your screen placed with a black background to avoid light overspill.. It should however not be 'white' but as black as you can get the projector to do... By the sounds of this salesman it may be able to tweak this projector to better black levels...

You can build a Hushbox to help silence and add fans etc... many people here have build complex and beautiful setups like projecting through walls etc... Search for Hushbox and look at some things that have been done...

Screens are as personal a preference as exists in the FP world and will depend entirely on how you setup works, what ambient light you need to fight etc etc... The new trend for digital projectors is grey screens (for the light cannons) but my recommendation would be to build your own (temporarily) using curtain blackout material (vinyl side) for a while this will allow you to experiment with sizing, placement issues, and anything else... You can then order samples of the available screens and see what works without wasting time without the projector and also without spending $$$...

Lastly you seem to have been struck with a common problem when demo'ing FP units that is ignorant salespeople... DO NOT LISTEN OR TRUST ANOTHER WORD THAT MAN SAYS !! If he told you that a DVD was HiDef source or if his belief is that a plain wall is the best screen for the job he doesn't deserve the job.... Trust your eyes (but also be aware he may have equipment in a botched up setup) and ask here for some of the best advice I have ever found online...

Good Luck

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.