·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnarum23 /forum/post/16976631

I think you have too many friends...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/16977210

No joke. I have maybe 10-15 friends that I actually play games with, and the rest are just there for no reason....

Exactly...I have 20 friends that I personally know and play with which can be enough of a hassle.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's like anything else, you have a core group of people you play with and then an extended one. There's maybe 20-25 or so folks that I actively seek out to play games with, the rest on my list are people who I ocassionaly see in custom games and the like. Friends with lots of mutual friends.

Halo 2 managed to get around the 100 person limit by implementing the clan feature, essentially give you a 2nd list of 100 people. That was great because I could keep my core group in the clan and then the others I just had on my friends list. It would seem like to me they could just allow users to create alternate lists on the 360, like Facebook groups, and not interfere with the original Xbox servers.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Personally, I've only got like 45 people added, and most of them I don't even play with ever. But for games like Geometry Wars or that sort of thing where the whole point of the game is to compete over online leaderboards, the more people on your list with the game the better.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Meh, give me a Live-enabled Halo: CE any day.

Which brings up the question, why don't they rerelease such a beast? 90% of the work is already done. Just use the new graphics engine, add Live support, co-op, etc. It would go Platinum overnight!

Do you know anybody that played Halo CE that wouldn't buy it? Plus all the wankers that started on Halo 2 and 3. It seems to me that this is a no-brainer.

·
Banned
802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap /forum/post/16978613

Which brings up the question, why don't they rerelease such a beast? 90% of the work is already done. Just use the new graphics engine, add Live support, co-op, etc. It would go Platinum overnight!

Do you know anybody that played Halo CE that wouldn't buy it? Plus all the wankers that started on Halo 2 and 3. It seems to me that this is a no-brainer.

Just sit and think about how amazing CE would be with H3's graphical treatment. I don't think I would ever remove it.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Kill Halo2.

Or rebuild Halo2 with the Halo3 technology.

I've been at my 100 friend limit for the past 2 years..

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
^^HA!

That's what she said.....

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap /forum/post/16978613

I'd buy it. Maybe they are saving for a 10 year anniversary release in 2011. Here is to hoping

·
Registered
342 Posts
If they removed the limit it would not be just dealing with Halo 2, it would potentially break compatibility with all XBox games. See, in the era of the XBox, the list was on the server and that was that. Each individual game which implemented Live support would have a Live interface, coded in to that game individually. Today, on the 360, the Live interface is actually a part of the 360's OS which goes between you and your game, so everything is uniform. The programmers who were making games back in the XBox era though had to deal with an interface just for their game, not the whole Live system or anything resembling an OS, so they capped it at 100 and called it a day.

If they raised this 100 user limit and started filling up more, they don't know what would happen to all of those old XBox games. Say the user limit is lifted and you can fill your list up with as many users as you like. What would happen if you turned on your XBox 1 and played Halo 2? Or RTCW? Or Unreal Championship? Would you see anyone? Would you see noone? Would you see some users, like up to 100, but not 101 and higher? They really don't know, and it's not like they can patch every older game if one has an issue and others do not.

It seems to me that clan support for individual games, could solve part of this problem going forward by giving you more flexibility.

·
Banned
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/16981217

I'd buy it. Maybe they are saving for a 10 year anniversary release in 2011. Here is to hoping

THIS!

they'd be smart to start right now though and give us a patch. maybe just find a way to keep halo 2 at the 100 max limit, while enabling more for the rest!

why not just seperate the haloz. provide their own hosts. basically defile what xbox live is. its nothing sacred.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Because it isn't just Halo 2 that would be affected, every original XBox game would be affected. They just mentioned Halo 2 because, for instance, that game is actually still very popular and gets quite a lot of unique users playing the game each month. They don't want to down the significant number of players for just no reason.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Want a bigger friends list? Stop playing Halo 2 online!

Should Microsoft kill Halo 2 online support in favor of more Xbox 360 friends?

Yes, kill it this minute!...

No, I'm still playing Halo 2!

Stop the killing!I don't want excuses, I just want more friends on my 360.

****Vote*****

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/10/wa...halo-2-online/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts