AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i previously posted this in the rptv forum before realizing there was a gaming forum -- for those of you gaming geeks anxiously awaiting november 9, investing in a shiny new widescreen rptv (lcd, dlp, and lcos of course, to avoid burn-in) just for this event, a bit of good news...

apparently halo 2's multiplayer will permit a vertical split of the screen for two players for maximum screen real estate on a widescreen display.

http://rampancy.net/node/view/8169

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Am I right in thinking that you would have the largest advantage if you were playing two splayers split one on top of the other since you would have a SUPER widescreen view (something like 3.55:1)? Where as playing single player you'd of course have a 16:9 view, or four players where each player would have a 16:9 rectangle. Or, instead of expanding to a super widescreen type ratio for two players, would it just cut off the image at the top and bottom? Therefore the advantage would go to people playing four player (or the two players at the bottom in a three player game)?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I wonder what's next for Bungie. They'd better staff up if they're going to finish Halo 3 by launch time next November. ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm guessing that having a "super widescreen" by doing a horizontal split of the screen wouldn't help in that the resolution would simply be a stretched version of the standard resolution (meaning you wouldn't necessarily be able to see more to the left and right, just that everything would be stretched). the nice thing about a vertical split (meaning player 1 on the left, and player 2 on the right) is that you'll be able to see details more clearly then if you had to vertically "scrunch" the picture due to a horizontal split of the screen. but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
COOL! Now when my son and I are playing split screen we will each have a screen as large as the 55" he usually plays on upstairs :)

Of course then I'll have a 4:3 screen YUCK!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
nice, but still just 480p right? bleh....

this will be nice when next gen consoles have enough power to split a 720p screen for two players. w00t

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ileff
nice, but still just 480p right? bleh....

this will be nice when next gen consoles have enough power to split a 720p screen for two players. w00t
Exactly. I tried the 2-player widescreen split thing once with Gotham Racing 2 and on a 65" screen it was just a bit too chunky. Looking forward to the next generation of consoles where 720p and 1080i games should be more common.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Yeah, games that split horizontally on a widescreen stink! Funny fact: while Mechassault doesn't truly support widescreen (everything is stretched) if you have widescreen selected it will split vertically for multiplayer games. Bonus!

PGR2 was a game that's widescreen native yet only splits horizontal. Make sense of that!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:
for those of you gaming geeks anxiously awaiting november 9, investing in a shiny new widescreen rptv (lcd, dlp, and lcos of course, to avoid burn-in) just for this event, a bit of good news...
FYI, while is does support 480p, Halo 2 does not support widescreen . I have read about it in other forums before it was even leaked - then was confirmed again after the leak :( . I am happy about the split screen mode though...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
From everything I've heard, including friends at EGM who are playing it, it is widescreen. The problem with the widescreen is the HUD is stretched so that may be why you think it's not widescreen. A lot of games are like that, but the actual content is widescreen.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Everything I have ever seen claims 16:9 support. Not that I really follow this terribly closely.

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox/875/Halo-2/p1

This lists it on the right hand side

If it's any consolation, when set to widescreen using component cables the 2 player screen is automatically side by side whereas when no settings are changed and composite cables are used (forces 4:3) it is an over/under configuration. I don't think it would automatically change if there wasn't a reason for it and the whole game forced 4:3.

·
Registered
316 Posts
halo 2 is widescreen even the developer said so

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I think only the Xbox LIVE! part of Halo 2 is 4:3. Search for the other Halo 2 threads here for the IGN quote where the developer said it'll support widescreen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.