AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded from a 27 inch CRT TV to a 55 inch LCD RP TV and added a HT system so that I am playing HALO 2 in widescreen with 5.1 surround sound. My old tube really had some clarity and contrast issues. HALO 2 looks and sounds great now but I'm not so sure if that has helped me in-game.

Does anyone else feel this way or do you think you're having more success now due to superior equipment? Do those with large displays and surround sound have an edge over those without, given that experience and talent levels are the same?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I played on my widescreen dlp for the longest time, then i moved it onto a 4:3 sdtv

and my performance increased drastically. So, I would say widescreen Is a disadvantage.

I can't comment on the 5.1, don't have it hooked up.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Other than the 5.1 surround may seem to help locate opponents or firefights easier that are behind you. I felt no real advantage between playing on my 60" WS HT and my son's 20" 4:3 tv.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statix
I played on my widescreen dlp for the longest time, then i moved it onto a 4:3 sdtv

and my performance increased drastically. So, I would say widescreen Is a disadvantage.

I can't comment on the 5.1, don't have it hooked up.
That's interesting; I never considered this the other way around. To what factors do you attribute the difference? Was the clarity lacking on your DLP set?

Maybe I'll do a test and go 4:3 on my WEGA for a few games...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanman
Other than the 5.1 surround may seem to help locate opponents or firefights easier that are behind you. I felt no real advantage between playing on my 60" WS HT and my son's 20" 4:3 tv.
I figured I'd have a much easier time landing headshots since the target area takes up more real estate on the display and is easier to see. I know that my reticle is moving across the screen with proportional speed and accuracy to changing screen sizes but still I figured I'd see some increase in my headshot %.

I do notice that I have a better idea of which way to turn to locate things behind me due to the 5.1, but the effect has been minimal on my win/loss percentage. Actually, I've dropped a few levels since making the switch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
According to people who actually like halo 2, in order to acquire a true "edge" you have to relinquish any social life you have, learn to rapidly spit out excuses, swear until you run out of breath, and learn to base your comebacks off of the words pwn, noob, or ******.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarauko
According to people who actually like halo 2, in order to acquire a true "edge" you have to relinquish any social life you have, learn to rapidly spit out excuses, swear until you run out of breath, and learn to base your comebacks off of the words pwn, noob, or ******.
:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quote:
What happens if you do this type of stuff with coworkers while they're playing with you splitscreen? I can only imagine what we'd be like on Live...

And don't forget to corpse hump.

·
Registered
522 Posts
i play better 4 feet from my 19" TV than my 104" projector setup in 5.1.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
I feel you. Don't forget the ever popular "That's right B*tch!" I'm looking forward to the day when HALO 2 loses some of its appeal so kids stop playing it and I can get in a real game once in a while.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bknauss
And don't forget to corpse hump.
LOL!!!! I am so sick of this one!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Quote:
sad but true.

the only fun time i have playing halo 2 is with members of Team AVS. i quit playing match games because of everything in your above post. i have not played halo 2 in a long time because i'm addicted to world of warcraft. if i do sign on to play again, it would only be w/ Team AVS. (hope they haven't kicked me off yet)

5.1 offers an advantage. you still require skill to kill others, but surround sound helps by leaps and bounds.

·
Registered
921 Posts
So you guys don't notice any advantage to switching from 4:3 to 16:9? I figured the larger field of view would help.

I used to complain that the 20" CRT I play on is too small, but then the guy who was killing me claimed he was on an even smaller set. Who knows... I'm getting older and just don't play as well anymore. I still love it though.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalaaron
sad but true.

the only fun time i have playing halo 2 is with members of Team AVS. i quit playing match games because of everything in your above post. i have not played halo 2 in a long time because i'm addicted to world of warcraft. if i do sign on to play again, it would only be w/ Team AVS. (hope they haven't kicked me off yet)

5.1 offers an advantage. you still require skill to kill others, but surround sound helps by leaps and bounds.
As a proud Team AVS members we are always looking for some new B*tches to pwn and teabag! :D

Just kidding Team AVS is THE best group of people to play with and we all came from here. It has grown to where we have our own website now and I am sure more people would be welcome. You just have to be initiated ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Honestly, when I started using a 5.1 setup, I felt like I had better reaction time and better results. I'm currently a level 31, but that can change any day now, hah.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.