AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
The whole Halo franchise has dropped so low I can't even begin to get excited about this. I borrowed ODST from a friend and I'm playing through it...it's horrible. I have no clue why this franchise is so popular.

·
Registered
918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 /forum/post/18121822

The whole Halo franchise has dropped so low I can't even begin to get excited about this. I borrowed ODST from a friend and I'm playing through it...it's horrible. I have no clue why this franchise is so popular.

Cuz the multiplayer is awesome. This is coming from an MW fanatic, mind you, but Halo is better in a couple of key ways. Namely: vastly superior matchmaking/ranking system and online stat-tracking. Have you ever seen the personalized website for Halo that keeps track of myriad personal stats? It's fantastic. Overhead views of each map, showing your kill/location/weapon tendencies? Just sick. Being matched with players of similar skill level? How is this not in every online game? Not to mention, there is some inspired level design, which, in concert with vehicular combat, makes for some amazingly visceral battles.

Now, gameplay comparison is a tomayto tomahto, totally subjective argument, so I won't even go there, but suffice to say that Halo offers a vastly different gameplay experience from MW(2) that some people find more enjoyable.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Oh, I've played a decent amount of Halo 3 and yeah, I've been on the website and stuff. The game experience in and of itself is boring though.

·
Registered
754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 /forum/post/18121822

Me and Matteoms played through ODST on co-op and that is one of the worst campaigns I have ever played through. The story was awful and all of the characters were idiots. If Earth gets invaded by aliens one day, I hope the people defending us are complete jackasses like the ones in that game....

I had fun playing Halo's 1,2, and 3. I am excited about Reach, but ODST was a cruel joke.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I used to be a huge Halo 3 fanatic, and played it exclusively for a while, but the terrible lag, poor hosting processes, and non-existent host transition made me leave Bungie for IW. I don't care what the stat system is like, what the matchmaking and skill system is, if the game lags so bad you can't play it, I'm out.

ODST = God Awful. Hopefully Reach will take them back towards the greatness that was Halo 2 multiplayer, or the Halo CE Campaign.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If it wasn't for me having actually played a little bit of Haze at one point in the past ODST would have been the worst console game I've played.

I wouldn't have been as annoyed with it if it was a $10 downloadable expansion rather than a full release.

The voice work was awful, the cgi was pretty rough in a lot of places. I'm looking forward to Reach, but not as much as I was before ODST.

ODST Trooper: "Alright, I'm cutoff from my squad in the middle of an alien infested city, no clue where everyone else is. But I think I'll get on the radio and see if now is a good time to discuss a relationship with my commanding officer."

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I read they are going for a Gears of Halo look, it certainly looks like it in the video. I'm interested if Halo can mix up the gameplay. I have ODST, but have not got past five minutes into it, the starting city is a snooze.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
The starting city? It's all one big city and most of the game is like that.

Unless you're in the flashbacks they might as well have called the game "Dark" because it's very dark and very bland...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Okay. This video made me officially excited about Reach, which is a surprise to me. I like the direction Bungie is headed.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
as much as i love to hate on halo, it looks like they're revamping much of what i hated about halo since CE.... reach may actually be a pretty good product.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/18123923

as much as i love to hate on halo, it looks like they're revamping much of what i hated about halo since CE.... reach may actually be a pretty good product.

I have high hopes for this game, but then again, I did for Halo 3...

I really want this game to feel/play like halo CE.

The video has me excited though...

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/18124351

Can anyone post the actual video for those of us that have gaming sites blocked at work

It's up on youtube...can you view that from work? That's where I found it earlier.

(gaming sites are blocked at my office, but not youtube...)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi /forum/post/18123124

This game looks like another winner from the Halo franchise. This is an automatic purchase.

Really? Even without seeing reviews or knowing much about the actual core game mechanics? Bungie will just keep shoveling out this crap until folks finally buy enough sucky games in the franchise that they're dissuaded from buying any more. In the meantime, they can just keep bringing out the same game from 2001 and selling it to folks for $60.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/18124351

Can anyone post the actual video for those of us that have gaming sites blocked at work
&fs=1&hd=1" width="858" height="508">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&fs=1&hd=1" /> 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">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

I've never been able to get into Halo, but keep buying the games because I feel like I'm missing out. Reach looks quite promising, If it is actually more realistic and gritty, it could be more to my liking.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.