AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am totally underwhelmed with the local HDTV pickings in the Atlanta area that I can receive via my attic mounted Channel Master TV antenna.

I have a 90 (10X9) foot Rohn 25G tower in my basement that I've been looking for an excuse to re-erect since I moved to a new house 5 years ago.

Anyone here have any experience with DX HDTV? There aren't many major markets within 100 miles of ATL so I'm thinking it's prolly a waste of time.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TMack409
Ok so I am totally underwhelmed with the local HDTV pickings in the Atlanta area that I can receive via my attic mounted Channel Master TV antenna.

I have a 90 (10X9) foot Rohn 25G tower in my basement that I've been looking for an excuse to re-erect since I moved to a new house 5 years ago.

Anyone here have any experience with DX HDTV? There aren't many major markets within 100 miles of ATL so I'm thinking it's prolly a waste of time.

Thoughts anyone?
During the past two years I've been able to DX and log 60 DTV stations, including my area locals. The best catch to date is WCYB-DT 28, Bristol, VA @ 325 miles. A few of my best catches are displayed at http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]_photos.html

Unfortunately, I live just 3-6 miles from most of my local towers (Indianapolis) so I don't have that many "open" channels to DX, but when conditions are right it can be a lot of fun watching stations from various markets. I'm using a fairly modest antenna setup with my horizontally-stacked UHF antennas @ 30 ft. and the VHF antenna @ 27 ft. Some DXers have much more sophisticated antenna setups and are able to see and log much more. Check out www.dxfm.com for more information and links to other great websites.

Good luck with the tower and happy DXing!

Steve

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Sounds like fun. Good Luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve:

Evidently, I have not been a member of the forum long enough to quote your post :-(

Anyway, thanks a million for the response! Hmmm. Only 30 feet eh? You don't know how happy that would make my wife - not having to string up guy wires on the tower. (Rohn 25 is self supporting up to 30 feet). But 30 feet wont put me over the tops of the local Pine tree population......and that seems to matter alot from my experience with Ham radio TV reception. Yes those signals are tiny. But we *are* talking DTV DX...... where every microvolt matters.

Any chance you could post a pic of your horizontal array of UHF antennas? ?And how you balun'd them together?

Thanks again!

-TMack

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
TMack,

I have included a pic of my antenna setup at this site................
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]_photos.html A dxing buddy fixed me up with the Triax (Denmark) UHF antennas. The horizontal stacking of the antennas increases the gain and makes them very directional, which is great when dxing weak stations through all of the strong, local stations. Equal length coaxial cables from each antenna connect to a two-way splitter which is connected to the Channel Master 7777 mast-mount preamp. Due to my close proximity to the local towers, I do have some overload issues when I aim the antennas toward the "antenna farm" but otherwise it works quite nicely.

As for the antenna height issue, I have to deal with my HOA. My neighbors have no problem with my antennas as long as I abide by the FCC guidelines. The antennas cannot be any higher than 12-feet above your roofline. Unfortunately, I have a ranch-style house while most of my neighbors have two-story houses. I wish I could get the antennas up higher, but for now I'll have to live with it as is.

For dxing DTV, I use a combination of three different units. I have the RCA DTC100, Samsung SIR-T151 and the Hauppauge WinTV-D card in my PC. Each of these units seem to have pros and cons. Since some of my dxing buddies and I have conducted several side-by-side comparison tests of several different brands and models of STB's, I currently have the new LG LST-3100A on order. This box seems to have one of the most sensitive tuners on the market right now, making it an ideal STB for dxing. Also, it includes some other nice dxing features. I'm anxious to test it at my location.

Good luck with your tower and antenna project. Let me know how things go. Good tropo enhancement times should be coming up in the next few months. Happy dxing.

Steve

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Rack, you beat me to it on MAX Hd's setup. I'd love to have quad Televes, I've only got one but I sure love it,HD/D stations and counting...

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Hmmm, I sitting here looking at a graph in "Pratical Antenna Handbook" by Joseph Carr, which implies that for 'line-of-sight" reception with a 90' tower and the Tx at 100 miles, the Tx antenna would have to be about 3000' above ground level. It also appears that your Rx antenna would have be about 1000' AGL to get the Tx antenna down to a reasonable 1500' AGL for 100 mile transmissions on this graph.

That sounds a little pessimitic to me, but it does imply most of your Dx's would have be via tropospheric ducting or something other than line-of-sight.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mac,

There is some diffraction involved and also high powered transmitters on the TX side so optical line of sight is not always required. BTW I just bought a 7 foot CM4251 from MAX HD and I am very happy with the results.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.