AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting some research for a voice controlled remote to be used with a TV hoping that others might have been done this road already.


It would need to work without any hands and only needs to do basic functions (power, vol, channel). If there are better ones that will also do a DVD player that is even better but not a deal breaker.


I'm thinking there must be others out there that would already have something like this. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion but that is a $500 answer. Would like to think there is something for

Really hard to find voice remote controls or any real reviews on them. Trying to avoid buying a new smart tv to resolve this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,747 Posts
You really think you're going to find a voice activated control for your a/v hear for under $100?


Wow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor  /t/1527001/hand-free-voice-controlled-remote#post_24663905


You really think you're going to find a voice activated control for your a/v hear for under $100?


Wow.

Why not? Voice commands isn't a new technology and remote are old as dirt so putting the two together shouldn't cost a fortune. Also you would think with the number of people in this world that have mobility issues this would be a very easy item to find.


I think the fact that you think it is so hard to achieve is wow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,747 Posts
I'm not saying it's not out there. I find it hard to believe that your trying to get it for less then a tank of gas.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,231 Posts
Good question, since I can order my smartphone to do a lot of things verbally (but not all apps can be voice controlled, including my Onkyo remote app). I do wonder if that's true of all the phone apps for remote control of a/v gear but the Onkyo app I know doesn't and the Sony app didn't work too well so deleted that one (and don't remember it having the voice option)....so am subscribing as I'd think there should be some demand out there. Does the new Harmony smartphone app have that functionality?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to clarify, I need voice control for the TV only.


I found this Android app which would work with some Samsung TVs.


- > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kniezrec.voiceremotefree


Not that we wanted to buy a new TV but if we did it would be an opportunity to get a TV around 40 inches.


Saw this on Amazon


-> http://www.amazon.com/Invoca-Voice-Activated-Remote-Tell/dp/B002PLJXWS


The reviews are not great plus no new stock.

Does the new Harmony smartphone app have that functionality?


I think the Harmony Revue app does but its page says you need Google TV.


-> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.logitech.harmonyremote


NOTE: This application requires Logitech Revue with Google TV (original or updated version), a wireless network, and a smartphone or tablet running Android version 2.x or version 4.x.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,204 Posts
There are websites that have a lot of discussion and advice for assistive technologies. I've seen several remotes turn up on those sites, but have no first hand experience with them.


I would imagine a smart phone app isn't the best solution for someone who could not use their hands.


Here are some I've come across:


Invoca, Hotech, RCA, Voice IR


A few years ago, radio shack used to sell a voice controlled remote too. You could probably find one on ebay.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1527001/hand-free-voice-controlled-remote#post_24666518



I would imagine a smart phone app isn't the best solution for someone who could not use their hands.


.

Curious why you say this; I can tell my phone to do many things without using my hands. Other than tv's with built-in hands-free features what other forms would a voice controlled remote take that aren't much different from the format of a phone these days (or tablet I suppose?).


OP--what is the reason for the need for the voice control? What are the limitations of technology other than a tv?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1527001/hand-free-voice-controlled-remote/0_100#post_24666883


Curious why you say this; I can tell my phone to do many things without using my hands. Other than tv's with built-in hands-free features what other forms would a voice controlled remote take that aren't much different from the format of a phone these days (or tablet I suppose?).


OP--what is the reason for the need for the voice control? What are the limitations of technology other than a tv?
Sorry, I didn't mean to be presumptuous. I just imagine a phone can get knocked onto the floor, have a dead battery within a day, get misplaced, have the control app closed, etc. I'm not talking about someone who might just use bluetooth, but someone who can't move and may be alone at times. You could permanently attach a voice controlled remote nearby and not have to worry about batteries. Plus cell phones and cell phone service is very expensive and may not be a viable option for many. I have no idea what the OP's situation is, but I assume he wants a 100% reliable solution and an affordable one.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1527001/hand-free-voice-controlled-remote#post_24666979


Sorry, I didn't mean to be presumptuous. I just imagine a phone can get knocked onto the floor, have a dead battery within a day, get misplaced, have the control app closed, etc. I'm not talking about someone who might just use bluetooth, but someone who can't move and may be alone at times. You could permanently attach a voice controlled remote nearby and not have to worry about batteries. Plus cell phones and cell phone service is very expensive and may not be a viable option for many. I have no idea what the OP's situation is, but I assume he wants a 100% reliable solution and an affordable one.

I didn't think you were being presumptuous, just wanted to know your reasoning. I thought I was among the last people to get a smartphone and assume most have one now
....but it can easily be mounted and left powered on by being corded; if you didn't already have phone/internet service (in that you need google voice in the background as far as I'm aware on my S4) then that would be definitely on the expensive side. Why I'm curious what the specific circumstances are so as to determine possible solutions....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a couple of seconds so thought I would reply.


The user has had both arms amputated just below the elbows. Only needs the ability to power on/off, change the channels and volume on the TV. While there is a person available almost 24/7 it is still nice to have some independence. Another snag might be the cable box. Its one of those cheap 'digital boxes' provided by the cable company (Rogers in London Ontario, Canada), not sure how it will fit in with everything. But one step at a time.


Really appreciate the help, many thanks in advance. The funny thing is we have asked 2 doctors and about half a dozen care workers and nobody has any ideas and these people work with amputees all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1527001/hand-free-voice-controlled-remote#post_24666518


There are websites that have a lot of discussion and advice for assistive technologies. I've seen several remotes turn up on those sites, but have no first hand experience with them.

I will do a search tomorrow but if you know of any assistive technology websites already, can you pass them along. TIA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I have a couple of seconds so thought I would reply.


The user has had both arms amputated just below the elbows. Only needs the ability to power on/off, change the channels and volume on the TV. While there is a person available almost 24/7 it is still nice to have some independence. Another snag might be the cable box. Its one of those cheap 'digital boxes' provided by the cable company (Rogers in London Ontario, Canada), not sure how it will fit in with everything. But one step at a time.


Really appreciate the help, many thanks in advance. The funny thing is we have asked 2 doctors and about half a dozen care workers and nobody has any ideas and these people work with amputees all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1527001/hand-free-voice-controlled-remote#post_24666518


There are websites that have a lot of discussion and advice for assistive technologies. I've seen several remotes turn up on those sites, but have no first hand experience with them.

I will do a search tomorrow but if you know of any assistive technology websites already, can you pass them along. TIA.
I don't know if anyone will ever read this, I see it's been over 2 years since anything was posted. It just so happens that I'm disabled, close to 30 years, and I use a voice-activated remote. It's old, called Invoca, Model 3. They quit making them probably 10 years ago, so you will have to find one on eBay or similar website. They are out there, if you look.
Essentially, you've probably already figured out that getting the proper IR codes for anything modern, is next to impossible. However, my Samsung Smart 2015 TV actually has codes, and the Magnavox MDR-533 I have can also be programmed, using available IR codes.
However, the remote will only do the basics with the pre-programming (on/off, louder/softer, play/stop/pause/FF/RW etc.), advanced commands need to be manually programmed, that is holding one existing remote up to the Invoca.
Having said all the above, I have gotten by with this remote for 25 years, at least. I think it's about time someone update this idea, that's why I started searching this forum. Finding the remotes every 5 years or so is getting tougher. It might seem ridiculous, but no there are not a lot of options out there-at least that I know of, or the disabled community.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I don't think google home can turn on TV's, however you can control watching netflix/youtube streaming to your chromecast on your TV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Simplecontrol has integration with Amazon echo.I have not tried it yet.I have one on order.I will try it and give you my feedback in a few days.It does need additional in app purchases.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top