AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Was wondering if there were any free options available for converting my blu ray rips in a way that will keep the TrueHD and LPCM audio tracks to passthrough to my AVR? Right now I"m using DVDFab's HD Decrypter to rip and Handbrake to convert to MKV and that works great for DTS-HD and all other audio tracks but since Handbrake doesn't support TrueHD and LPCM I was trying to figure out if there's something else I can use for those? Doesn't have to be an MKV that I'm saving if someone knows a way to convert it to an ISO or something else that my HTPC running Openelec XBMC can play instead. Thanks.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. Didn't realize MakeMKV supported TrueHD and LPCM passthrough. That's what I was using originally for my rips but I gave up on it because it kept crashing my laptop (intermittant BSODs with some message about a kernel error related to the Intel HD graphics even though all drivers were up to date and that I couldn't get any help with on the MakeMKV forum either). But maybe now that I'm using Fab for decryption I'll risk it again just for converting the ripped BDMV folder to MKV and see if I that will work for me without the crashes. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
makeMKV decrypts the source and allows you to repackage it unmolested back into an mkv container. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be? If you are preserving HD Audio, why compress the video? Why use DVDFab to decrypt? makeMKV does it for you. If it was crashing your laptop something else was wrong. I've never had a BSOD while using makeMKV.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks but it was definitely MakeMKV. I had it isolated down to nothing else running except MakeMKV and would still watch it BSOD in front of me. I posted the problem on MakeMKV's forum + a couple others with the WhoCrashed? reports but never got any answers that way and as I said I updated to all the latest Intel drivers too and that didn't fix it either. It's alright though. I'm happy with Fab + Handbrake and find that compressing w/constant quality settings of 21 for blu ray and 19 for DVD produces the same quality as uncompressed (to my eyes and ears anyway) while taking up a lot less space on my hard drives. So I'd stick with that at this point even if I could get MakeMKV to work they way I'd hoped.

Anyway, just trying it on my rips of Star Trek and The Proposition it looks like the TrueHD is there and when I get a chance I'll watch it on the HTPC to test. If it works there at least now I have a solution for keeping the audio tracks that Handbrake can't pass through. So thanks again.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psubsee2002  /t/1471184/handbrake-alternatives-for-truehd-and-lpcm-passthrough#post_23276326

I agree with the previous poster, I've never had a crash or BSOD while using MakeMKV. Did you try another machine?

No I do all my video work on my laptop (i7 HP Pavilion running 64bit Win 7) which is the only machine I have suitable for ripping and converting. It's alright though. I'm not trying to turn anyone else off MakeMKV and if Fab+Handbrake wasn't a better solution for me for 90%+ of what I rip maybe I'd be more motivated to figure out a solution for it. For those other rips though it is nice to find another solution for keeping all the audio tracks so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again on those.

BTW, watched The Shining last night with LPCM 5.1 and wow does that sound great. HD audio was one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade to an HTPC since my blu ray player didn't support it for DLNA playback and everything I watch something now with lossless audio it reconfirms for me what a good decision that was.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use makeMKV + handbranke and MKVmerge for truHD and LPCM If you were having issue with crashing try some of the nightly builds of the new version of makeMKV to see if they crash I have been using them for a while now without issue. I rip with makeMKV then use handbrake to encode, if it is in an audio format that handbrake can't handle, I strip the audio and use mkvmerge to combine the audio from the original with the video from the encode file, takes a while but it does what I want.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by System  /t/1471184/handbrake-alternatives-for-truehd-and-lpcm-passthrough#post_23280517

I use makeMKV + handbranke and MKVmerge for truHD and LPCM If you were having issue with crashing try some of the nightly builds of the new version of makeMKV to see if they crash I have been using them for a while now without issue. I rip with makeMKV then use handbrake to encode, if it is in an audio format that handbrake can't handle, I strip the audio and use mkvmerge to combine the audio from the original with the video from the encode file, takes a while but it does what I want.

Thanks. I'll give this a try too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts