AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum, I have a question about putting my media onto hard drives.

I am currently working on archiving VHS collection to dvd-r. For the most part these are tv shows from the 80s and90s.

I would also like mp4 files that I can stream to my Apple TV from my apple computer. My choices to do this are to run my Canopus through iMovie and export to mp4 (a very time consuming process), or to rip the newly made dvd's directly with handbrake.

Would there be major quality issues by going the handbrake route?most of my VHS tapes are coming from the 6 hour slp speed so I realize that the quality is just ok to begin with.

I am really looking for the most efficient way of accomplishing my goal without driving myself crazy, I easily have over 1000 tapes to convert.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Many of us are in a situation similar to yours.   Most of my VHS tapes are family videos.

If your VHS playback device has Component (RGB) out, I recommend you acquire a pcie video capture card and record mp4 files at 1080i (yes I understand you are starting from 6 hr tapes) onto a HDD in your computer; thus bypassing any need for/of DVD's.  

You should be aware that consumer grade rewritable DVDs are fragile.   I use an LG BluRay burner to burn onto M-Discs for archival purposes when I feel that I absolutely must have a copy that I can physically touch. 

I was an aficionado of Hauppauge for years, but am now using an AverMedia card.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Another point.

You should also realize the Optical drive is the slowest operating part of your computer.

Another good reason for avoiding DVDs where possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts