AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to use Handbrake (incredibly easy and powerful freeware) to convert some of my old ReplayTV mpeg's to H.264, but no luck -- it complains about finding a valid file.

Has anyone had any success?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Looks like something just threw the (hand)brakes on this project!

Nyuck! Nyuck! Nyuck! Nyuck!

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Convert the non-standard Replay mpg file to a standard mpg file with VideoRedo or Womble MPEG-VCR then use that file with Handbrake.

... it's worth a try.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've had success using MPEG Streamclip to convert RTV 5K files to 320x240 H.264 without any preconversion to standard MPEG2, though I'm strongly considering Video ReDo to get rid of commercials (I find it tedious trying to skip them using the iPod's wheel).

Bear in mind that you'll need QuickTime Pro and the QT MPEG2 plugin or an appropriate version of QuickTime Alternative to use MPEG Streamclip. Details at the Squared5 site above.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Another Mac alternative would be to try El Gato's Turbo.264 with QuickTime and the QT MPEG2 plugin.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob /forum/post/14189209

Convert the non-standard Replay mpg file to a standard mpg file with VideoRedo or Womble MPEG-VCR then use that file with Handbrake.

... it's worth a try.

You can also run the files through RTVEdit and RTVConvert. The output file from RTVConvert is then compliant, and can be used as input to Handbrake.

Personally, I use VideoRA iPod converter. Version 0.91, though. Later versions have too much overhead / spyware / etc.

-Doug

·
Registered
371 Posts
Doug,

Do you have to run RTVEdit and RTVConvert before passing the file to the VideoRA converter? Also, do you know where I can get version 0.91? Their download site doesn't go back that far.

I tried using Streamclip. After 10 hours of trying to convert a 2-hour medium quality movie, Streamclip died a horrible death on me.

Thanks,

A

1 - 8 of 8 Posts