AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would give any of those of you that like to strip your PJ for dust maintenance yourselves, a little heads up...

As many know the big drawback of the compressed air cans is they have a tendency to let out blasts of liquid propellant (usually when ever you point at something delicate like the DMD) so when I went in my local Office center I was pleased to see this product...
http://www.curtis.com/care/canned_index.htm

The benefit of it is that it uses those little gas canisters that you used to see with soda propellant but it does not let out bursts of liquid... The drawbacks are its a little weak and the fill ups get used up pretty fast (I used 2 this evening on one cleanup) but I think the combination of compressed air can for the easy stuff and this device for the delicate bits is a great solution and I intend to buy a stock of the Air refills next time I go in...

Hope this helps someone...

------------------
New email [email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Cool, I didn't know this existed. It's always a small gamble with regular canned air. I minimize the risks by 1) never invert can, 2) don't blast anything important when can near empty, 3) test blast on tissue or glass cup to see if any oil/chemical droplets come out before blasting on critical areas, 4) don't sit on blaster trigger for more than 2 second bursts. I found out the hard way on telescope inside lens cleaning :-(

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fearful (should that be sensible) just blast what they can get access to...

The next level is disassembly and blast everywhere...

After that you could try surgical gloves and isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth or I think one of those optical glass camera cloths...

All that's left (for the reckless) is to darken the DMD chamber and black off the clear section of the color wheel a la Thumper... I am very tempted to give this a try but I have a feeling that less lumens would not be a fair trade for more black level (mine is acceptable) as I have light issues...

------------------
New email [email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

[This message has been edited by Phat Phreddy (edited 10-02-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.