AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ceiling install of Sony VPL 40ES
Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this question, but since most of you had to do this, I might get some tips.

I'm installing my new VPL 40ES in my dedicated theatre room that I resilient channeled with clips, two layers of 7/16" drywall with a GG sandwich. Like an idiot, I forgot to put a plywood backing where I'm installing the projector off the ceiling. I'm looking for ideas on the least invasive way of mounting the projector, other than screwing a plywood plate on top of the drywall to the channels and painting the plate. I have the RPAU Chief mount.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Mark

·
Premium Member
17,088 Posts

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,138 Posts
each one can support 356 lbs in a single layer of 5/8" drywall:
http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php
true unless you have a water event then anything not connected to a joist or a channel is at risk, but by then maybe you are ready for an upgrade funded by your insurance. If your projector is under a dishwasher a plate the size of the projector (whatever to reach a channel) dressed out with some nice molding might be my choice.

·
Premium Member
17,088 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks for the reply guys. I think the Toggler is my solution. I'm not near any water source, so no worries about that.

And no, I'm not that smart or precise. It's 5/8s but I've been working with OSB all week which is 7/16 so it's stuck in my head, my bad.

This forum is great.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the reply guys. I think the Toggler is my solution. I'm not near any water source, so no worries about that.

And no, I'm not that smart or precise. It's 5/8s but I've been working with OSB all week which is 7/16 so it's stuck in my head, my bad.

This forum is great.
Sorry.............big mistake in my opinion.

Do you have access to space? If so, I'd use dimensional lumber attaching to joist with IB-3 clips and then use 3/4 plywood screwed into 2x4 or whatever. Then use long bolts passing through plywood then using fender washers and nuts with lock washers............Locktite on nuts. I suspect there maybe another point to contend with......................if you didn't add additional clips to area holding projector, you may soon wish you had!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doublewing11, I appreciate the feedback but no, I don't have access to space, and the clip rating is more than enough for the two layers and 5/8" dw and a projector that weighs 23lbs. I will be ok. If I upgrade to a 50lb behemoth as you call it, I can reevaluate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update.

Mounted the beast yesterday and elected to compromise. One of the resilient channels was near my optimal mounting point, so drilled into the channel and then used the Toggler on it, so not relying on a self tapping screw. Then for the other two mounting holes I was planning on just using the Togglers in the 2x5/8" drywall but by luck found the wooden joist behind it (stud finder would never find it due to the standoff between drywall and joist due to the channel) so lag bolted to that. Looks clean and solid. I really like the Toggler system, very secure.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Cheers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Update.

One of the resilient channels was near my optimal mounting point, so drilled into the channel and then used the Toggler on it ... found the wooden joist behind it so lag bolted to that.
so a toggler on the channel and then a lag bolt to a joist? Doesn't that then couple the channel and ceiling then to the joist via the projector mount? I would have opted for just toggles to channel or drywall, leaving only the clips coupled to the joists.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts