AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an upgraded 80 GB Replay and I am having hang problems -- although I did have similar problems with the original unit, but less frequently. I am thinking of adding a panaflo fan as many have done, but I was wondering if anyone figured out a way to have the fan on only when it is recording or playing. I assume that even when the unit is "off" that the h/d cables are still powered, and therefore the fan would run.

Any comments welcome.

Tim

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tdc
I have an upgraded 80 GB Replay and I am having hang problems -- although I did have similar problems with the original unit, but less frequently. I am thinking of adding a panaflo fan as many have done, but I was wondering if anyone figured out a way to have the fan on only when it is recording or playing. I assume that even when the unit is "off" that the h/d cables are still powered, and therefore the fan would run.

Any comments welcome.

Tim
Not possible however if you want to go to the bother there was a post recently from a person who installed a thermostat purchased at Frys to kick the fan in above 90 deg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can install a a thermostat switch that will just have it kick on when it gets hot. I have this setup on my replay that has two hard drives and it keeps the system cool enough to run great. I found the switch at Frys and I think it only cost me $3.00 for the sensor switch. After that you just splice it into the power for the fan and bamn you have a self cooling unit that is way quieter then a constant running fan.

Anthony:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tim,

Here is what is on the label . MGTS-3045 Miniature Thermal Switch. I found it in the CPU cooling area at Fry's. I wired it in on the red power side and taped the sensor so it was in between the two hard drives and close to the power supply, I let the sensor stick up in the air some and taped it down the wire some to the base of the Showstopper. Works great , but it seemed strange when I fired it up and the fan didn't turn , then things started heating up and the fan kicked on.

Good luck

Anthony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.