AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A high-concept thriller and coming-of-age drama, Hanna follows the journey of an extraordinary young girl raised in the forest, as she evades the relentless pursuit of an off-book CIA agent and tries to unearth the truth behind who she is...Hanna is an adaptation of the 2011 Joe Wright film of the same name which starred Saoirse Ronan...the series reunites The Killing duo of Joel Kinnaman and Mireille Enos...Hanna stars Esme Creed-Miles as the young girl trained to be a ruthless killer by her father, played by Joel Kinnaman...Mireille Enos is stepping into the role of a CIA agent tracking down the tiny assassin

Hanna‘s eight-episode first season was written and produced by David Farr (The Night Manager), who co-wrote the 2011 movie on which the series is based...the series will bow on Amazon Prime in March but Prime subscribers will be able to preview the first episode for 24 hours after the Super Bowl on Sunday...

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
The first episode is available for 24 hours after the Super Bowl. I thought it was... OK. It's basically a straight remake of the beginning part of the movie - the backstory with Hanna growing up in the woods and being trained by her "father" - stretched out to an hour. I didn't find it terribly exciting. No plot surprises and it doesn't have any of the hyper-stylized camera and editing tricks that made the movie fun.

I'll still likely watch more when the rest of it becomes available. Once Hanna gets out into the world, there's potential for it to diverge from the movie and do something interesting. I'll be very disappointed if the whole season winds up reiterating the plot points from the movie but dragging them out to eight episodes.

Reactions: Brian Hampton

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
The trailer during the Super Bowl didn't do this any justice. Wife was like, pass, after the ad. Will wait to see what the consensus is before investing time in this.

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
Watching the trailer last night, it seems like we've seen this general plot line a hundred times before, depending on the age of the female protagonist. And I didn't even see the movie.

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
Watching the trailer last night, it seems like we've seen this general plot line a hundred times before, depending on the age of the female protagonist. And I didn't even see the movie.
It's a real problem. The movie's plot wasn't especially original, but Saorise Ronan was clearly a breakout star, Cate Blanchett was a terrific villain, and director Joe Wright pulled every stylistic trick in the filmmakers' handbook to grab and hold your attention.

The TV version has none of that. It's perfectly competent, but lacks any spark to set it apart from dozens of similar projects.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a real problem. The movie's plot wasn't especially original, but Saorise Ronan was clearly a breakout star, Cate Blanchett was a terrific villain, and director Joe Wright pulled every stylistic trick in the filmmakers' handbook to grab and hold your attention.

The TV version has none of that. It's perfectly competent, but lacks any spark to set it apart from dozens of similar projects.
after watching the Super Bowl commercial the thing that stands out to me is that the girl playing Hanna doesn't seem to be that great of an actress...in the movie version Saoirse Ronan was very charismatic and you cared about the character...for a series where the title is 'Hanna' you better make sure to cast an actress who can carry the movie

either way I plan on watching but I'll wait till the series officially premieres in March...I don't like watching one episode now and having to wait a month for the rest...it's great to see Joel Kinnaman and Mireille Enos reunited (AMC's The Killing)

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
after watching the Super Bowl commercial the thing that stands out to me is that the girl playing Hanna doesn't seem to be that great of an actress...in the movie version Saoirse Ronan was very charismatic and you cared about the character...for a series where the title is 'Hanna' you better make sure to cast an actress who can carry the movie
Much like the show as a whole, she's adequate. She does what the script calls of her to do competently. I don't think she's a bad actress, but she definitely doesn't have Saoirse Ronan's charisma. IMO, of course.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Is it me? I'm not sure there's a point to making a series out of the movie which was actually pretty good. This trend - take a successful movie or old series and remaking it - has been done so many times before. I'd much rather watch something original.

I see a new Twilight Zone is in the works. A remake was already done. Some past movies & shows were so original & well-done, IMO they are better left alone. Instead of watching a mediocre reboot, how about re-watching the original? A novel thought :rolleyes:

I loved Hanna but I doubt a series based on it will add much new or original to the story or acting.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it me? I'm not sure there's a point to making a series out of the movie which was actually pretty good. This trend - take a successful movie or old series and remaking it - has been done so many times before. I'd much rather watch something original.

I see a new Twilight Zone is in the works. A remake was already done. Some past movies & shows were so original & well-done, IMO they are better left alone. Instead of watching a mediocre reboot, how about re-watching the original? A novel thought :rolleyes:

I loved Hanna but I doubt a series based on it will add much new or original to the story or acting.
I agree but I also think that a remake/reboot can be a good thing...not all remakes are terrible...the original Hanna movie was less then 2 hours while this Amazon series is 8 episodes (around 8 hours)...so you get more time to explore the relationships, characters, story etc...so it could be a good thing

·
Registered
17,474 Posts
I agree but I also think that a remake/reboot can be a good thing...not all remakes are terrible...the original Hanna movie was less then 2 hours while this Amazon series is 8 episodes (around 8 hours)...so you get more time to explore the relationships, characters, story etc...so it could be a good thing
No, not all remakes are terrible. Some notable good ones:

Ben Hur (1959) - better with sound
An Affair To Remember (1957) - remake of Love Affair (1939)
The Thomas Crown Affair - Pierce Brosnan was excellent in that one
You've Got Mail - Fun modern take on The Shop Around the Corner (1940)
The Thing (1982) - Well executed remake of The Thing from Another World (1951)
Cape Fear (1991) - Just as good as the original
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - Hitch's remake of his own movie

Even when it comes to movies becoming TV shows, some have been pretty good:

Alice Doesn't Live here Anymore became a surprisingly good comedy called Alice.
M*A*S*H was a good remake of the movie by the same name.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer took a campy movie and made it into a great series.
Who would have thought Fargo could become a really good series?

Unfortunately, there are plenty of misses. While getting good ratings, most of the remakes of TV series on CBS are soulless shadows of their originals, relegated to becoming generic procedurals lacking any of the charm of the source material. The Lethal Weapon series on Fox was pretty good, but I grew tired of the recent off camera antics and bailed on it.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The Four Feathers has been made into seven films between 1915 and 2002. My favorite is the 1939 version (from Wikipedia: Starring Ralph Richardson, John Clements, C. Aubrey Smith, June Duprez. Considered by many to be the best of the film versions, this was lavishly filmed in colour in many of the real African locations).

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Did they ever actually release the UHD version in the 24 hours? Wasn't going to watch ONE episode in 1080p and then wait 2 months for the rest...

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
The very early release of a show's first episode is becoming a very odd marketing gimmick. It's the antithesis of binge watching. If that first episode doesn't totally grab you, and you can't immediately start the next to see if it gets any better, you are likely to move on and not bother coming back once the remaining episodes are released. It seems like it would only be worth the risk for a highly-anticipated show or franchise to get the built-in fanbase buzzing about it.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The very early release of a show's first episode is becoming a very odd marketing gimmick. It's the antithesis of binge watching. If that first episode doesn't totally grab you, and you can't immediately start the next to see if it gets any better, you are likely to move on and not bother coming back once the remaining episodes are released. It seems like it would only be worth the risk for a highly-anticipated show or franchise to get the built-in fanbase buzzing about it.
yeah releasing Hanna as a special early premiere seemed like an odd decision...would have made more sense for something more established like Marvelous Mrs. Maisel or even Jack Ryan...or for a not-yet-released show that new Lord of the Rings prequel would have been perfect

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
yeah releasing Hanna as a special early premiere seemed like an odd decision...would have made more sense for something more established like Marvelous Mrs. Maisel or even Jack Ryan...or for a not-yet-released show that new Lord of the Rings prequel would have been perfect
Amazon Studios doesn't devote marketing resources to its comedies, especially female-led ones. They only go all out for action-oriented like "Jack Ryan" and "Hannah". (Yet, they completely ignore "Patriot.) Even the stuff that wins awards like "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" and "Mozart in the Jungle" doesn't get marketing/advertising dollars. I don't know why. That's just the culture at Amazon Studios.

DO expect to see commercials for "The Expanse: S4" soon. :cool:

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hanna to officially premiere on Amazon March 29th

big gap from the post-Super Bowl premiere of the first episode (Feb 3rd) and the full batch of episodes dropping (almost 8 full weeks)...I think they would have been better off saving all the episodes for March

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Amazon Studios doesn't devote marketing resources to its comedies, especially female-led ones. They only go all out for action-oriented like "Jack Ryan" and "Hannah". (Yet, they completely ignore "Patriot.) Even the stuff that wins awards like "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" and "Mozart in the Jungle" doesn't get marketing/advertising dollars. I don't know why. That's just the culture at Amazon Studios.

DO expect to see commercials for "The Expanse: S4" soon. :cool:
I saw quite a bit of advertising for Mrs. Maisel's second season. But of course not for the first. It depends on what you watch on TV. For example, there wouldn't be any Mrs. Maisel ads during a Sunday NFL game or pretty much any sporting event. But "Jack Ryan"? Definitely.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts